Board logo

Bridgeport bits wanted
v8kid - 21/1/18 at 04:38 PM

Hi Chaps,

I bought a basket case Bridgeport J Head milling machine in bits complete with rust - as one does - and some bits are missing or in poor condition. The previous owner had started a restoration but got bogged down with work (self employed is hard sometimes) and got fed up with it after dismantling it and it lay outside for a while.

Anyone have bits for aforesaid?

In particular........

The lower gear housing part no J-2 that's the bit with the back gear in it. Apparently one of the last owners dropped the machine off the trailer when getting it home -Ouch they weigh 1.25 tonnes!!! Guess what part it landed on

The Spindle part no J166 (the one I have has rusty splines -nasty thing rusty splines - but I have new precision bearings)

The motor pulley part no J-6. Yup someone tried to pull it off and only succeeded in pulling off part of the flange and left the rest behind! Now removed properly.

Shift crank part no J-14 Again damaged in "the fall"

and the fine feed hand wheel part no J120 - to be fair these are missing on most Bridgeport's; someone somewhere has a pile of them.

Various other bits I have yet to discover missing when I reassemble after derusting/cleaning/painting/bearings/wiring/belts/servos/ and other stuff I now nothing about

Cheers!

Wadders - 21/1/18 at 09:04 PM

Stick a wanted Ad on homeworkshop. Sure there was a full head for sale on there recently for cheap money.

https://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/index.php?limitstart=120

v8kid - 22/1/18 at 09:41 AM

Ta for the heads up I'll give it a go

Cheers!

v8kid - 15/2/18 at 04:22 PM

Thanks that web site came up trumps.

Now all I need are ball screws and stepper motors

Cheers

David

Wadders - 15/2/18 at 06:00 PM

Great news, glad you got a result. http://www.cnczone.com is a great resource if you’re planning to convert to CNC operation.

]Originally posted by v8kid
Thanks that web site came up trumps.

Now all I need are ball screws and stepper motors

Cheers

David