Board logo

Stand alone ECU
ian.stewart - 13/6/18 at 02:20 PM

As above, dont need data logging etc, nor Megasquirt, Just a decent working ECU thats easy to set up,

snapper - 13/6/18 at 07:27 PM

Fuel and ignition or just ignition?

ian.stewart - 13/6/18 at 08:21 PM

Fuel and ignition

ttalps2000 - 14/6/18 at 09:36 AM

Megasquirt/Microsquirt would probably be your best option.

For ease of use etc, then Omex 600 is your best bet, but is nearlly double the cost of Microsquirt (£350 with loom, compared to £620 for just the ECU)

theduck - 14/6/18 at 10:39 AM

Are you going to tune it yourself? If so, why the objection to megasquirt? Its a great interface to start with and a huge community supporting it, and some very good tuners who will tune for you if you want them to.

If not tuning yourself, then I'll give the same advice I give everyone, pick your tuner and then use the ECU they recommend.

coyoteboy - 14/6/18 at 03:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theduck
Are you going to tune it yourself? If so, why the objection to megasquirt? Its a great interface to start with and a huge community supporting it, and some very good tuners who will tune for you if you want them to.

If not tuning yourself, then I'll give the same advice I give everyone, pick your tuner and then use the ECU they recommend.

Seconded.

ian.stewart - 14/6/18 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theduck

I have had 3 Emeralds on 3 different cars, all set up by Dave Walker, but my budget is a little curtailed this year, As For MegaSquirt, I have a friend who built is own Megasquirt, and was plagued with lack of his own ability concerning electronics and assembly, It looks like it has come a long way since he was playing with it, I'm off to have a look now,

theduck - 14/6/18 at 04:11 PM

Look at extraefi for Pre assembled units in the uk. Megasquirt2 is a very versatile and cost effective solution.

ttalps2000 - 14/6/18 at 04:35 PM

Trigger wheels do the microsquirt which is the ms2 in a smaller format

theduck - 14/6/18 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
Trigger wheels do the microsquirt which is the ms2 in a smaller format

Limited input and output though

ttalps2000 - 14/6/18 at 05:15 PM

Only a couple of less outputs than ms2 according to the camparison chart on extra efi

froggy - 14/6/18 at 05:35 PM

Microsquirt on my v8 , pretty simple to wire and get running with the map generated by the engine details . Drove it around with steadily less and less controller authority on the wideband before getting it mapped at Bailey performance . Enough i/o for what I need and it’s been faultless so far

ian.stewart - 15/6/18 at 10:23 PM

I have been offered a Megasquirt 1 v3, is it worth bothering with, and who can set it up in the South East.????

coyoteboy - 18/6/18 at 08:51 AM

MS1 V3 will run most 4cyls happily but it's a bit faffy and not really supported anymore - I have an MS1 running a 350hp 2 litre turbo no problem, including coil on plug, fan control, boost control and a few other goodies. That said, it's cheap for a reason.

MS2 is easier to tune, more capable.

MS3 is the bees knees, running on much faster hardware with more options.

chris - 18/6/18 at 08:49 PM

I am running 2ltr turbo on ms3 extra great bit of kit I have tunerstudio on laptop whilst I started off with a map from someone else I have done a few datalogs and completely changed the map I started with I now have to much power and lunched my clutch had to uprate clutch to handle the power