Board logo

Honda Generator Advice - No spark - Now Have Spark!
Dick Axtell - 20/7/18 at 02:13 PM

Hello LCB experts.

I have a Honda GX 160 5.5hp generator. Was using it to drill coupla holes, for raising the fuel tank. One hole successfully made, then the gen coughed, and spluttered to a stop. It has never run since.

Here are the measures taken - so far:-

1: Suspecting a fuelling problem, I cleaned out the fuel tank and replaced the outlet/fuel filter and the fuel hose. Filled tank with fresh petrol. Still no sign of starting.

2: Tried to give the carburettor a strip-clean, then decided to fit completely new carb. No start.

3: Checked the spark plug and discovered "no spark". After seeing YouTube clip about this, decided to replace the ignition coil.

4: New ignition coil fitted; still no spark. Bought new spark plug - still no spark.

So please can anybody suggest what could be wrong. Have run out of what other faults might have caused this non-function. You advice would be very welcome.

Bear in mind that gen had been running OK initially.

TIA

[Edited on 20/7/18 by Dick Axtell]

[Edited on 21/7/18 by Dick Axtell]

jimmyd - 20/7/18 at 02:54 PM

Oil level ok? Mine has a cut out switch linked to the oil level.

Angel Acevedo - 20/7/18 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd
Oil level ok? Mine has a cut out switch linked to the oil level.

+ 1...
It may be marginally low and when pump picks up oil...
Dies immediately..

Dick Axtell - 20/7/18 at 05:00 PM

jimmyd & Angel, thanks for your suggestions. Will check this out tomorrow.

Dick Axtell - 20/7/18 at 05:00 PM

jimmyd & Angel, thanks for your suggestions. Will check this out tomorrow.

Bigheppy - 20/7/18 at 05:51 PM

Faulty stop switch. Wire to stop switch rubbed through and grounding out. Flywheel woodruf key stripped. Is the new coil fitted correctly I had a small engine where the distance between the coil and stator was set with a piece of paper between the two. If it was any further away no spark. Did the coil come with new plug lead if not check continuity/replace.
Just a few thoughts hope you get it sorted.

russbost - 20/7/18 at 06:34 PM

Not clear from your post, but I'm guessing this is magneto ignition? most small generators are. If so, how sure are you there's no spark, spark generated from a magneto can be pretty invisible unless viewed in relatively dim lighting. If it has a spark, but won't run then I'd suspect woodruff key as mentioned above as that effectively screws the timing up

If there is definitely no spark, & you've already replaced the coil & HT lead, then most likely the magneto is grounded either thro' the stop wire/switch or elsewhere

Can you find a manual for it online, there is usually a "troubleshooter" - working thro' it in a methodical manner usually reaps rewards, flitting from one guess to another like a butterfly on speed generally does not ................

Hope you get it sorted

Dick Axtell - 20/7/18 at 08:11 PM

Bigheppy & russbost - Thanks for your additional thoughts on this very irritating problem. I'll check out the "kill" switch connections and wiring tomorrow. (After checking the oil level).

Dick Axtell - 21/7/18 at 12:19 PM

Thanks again to All for your advice. Could see no spark, even in dark shadow conditions. So, in sheer desperation, I reassembled everything back together, with the new parts, gave the starter cord a pull, and eventually it fired up !!

All I have to do now - reset the idle and load-running speeds. Back to YouTube again!