Board logo

Can anyone make me this part (handbrake barrel)?
hobbsy - 10/10/20 at 05:15 AM

Morning gents

Is anyone with the big tools I don't have (lathe, mill etc) up for making me one of these:

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/handbrake/1435-handbrake-barrel.html?search_query=Handbrake&results=30

It's the handbrake barrel for the underdash handbrake on a Caterham. It's a bit weird in that it acts on the cable outer rather than inner. It's not straightforward to relocate the handbrake to a conventional position as the trans tunnel on a Caterham isn't filled with box section etc so not meaty enough.

I would buy one but they are out of stock and have been for a while.

I can work out the dimensions using the ID of the hole in the handbrake lever which I do have (fortunately as also out of stock permanently it seems!) The length I guess is less critical but could be worked out from the photo using the ratio.

[Edited on 10/10/20 by hobbsy]

Werner Van Loock - 10/10/20 at 10:12 AM

If you can get the correct diameter (if thats important) bar, then a pillar drill a saw and a file will get you there also, takes a bit longer but do-able.

hobbsy - 10/10/20 at 10:29 AM

Good point. Need to get my pillar drill back from a mate first though!

I'm poorly equipped to fab stuff up at the moment as have very little space in current tiny garage.

big_wasa - 10/10/20 at 03:18 PM

Dimensions and what material would help no end. I guess due to bending forces, steel ?

hobbsy - 10/10/20 at 03:24 PM

I guess it's 50 to 70mm long and I think steel would be a good idea.

I will try and draw something up.

I think I've got access to a 3d printer so just for fun may try and do it in that just to test it fits.i suspect it would break after not very long in actual use.

I was struggling before with the image library thing and a bit busy but here is where it fits in to give an idea...

[Edited on 10/10/20 by hobbsy]

steve m - 10/10/20 at 04:06 PM

Looks like an extremely easy part to make,

take a long shanked bolt of the right size, cut the thread off, and hacksaw a slot to the desired spot

you could even leave the bolt head on, to stop the part dropping out

steve

big_wasa - 10/10/20 at 04:36 PM

Looking at it I would be surprised if it's more than 30mm long and I guess the cable stops the pin dropping through.

[Edited on 10/10/20 by big_wasa]

adithorp - 11/10/20 at 09:23 AM

Looks easy enough.

garybee - 16/10/20 at 08:45 PM

Have I missed it or are the dimensions missing from this thread?

big_wasa - 16/10/20 at 09:00 PM

No, no dims

hobbsy - 17/10/20 at 05:04 AM

Sorry gents I am hopefully getting hold of a used part from a fellow Caterham owner who relocated theirs to the tunnel.

If that all falls through them dims and a drawing will appear.

Hobbsy.