Board logo

Headlights for my locost for IVA
Deckman001 - 19/10/20 at 12:33 PM

As in the title, I need a set of headlights suitable for IVA. Anyone got any lurking around before I have to buy a brand new set ?

Jason

Mr Whippy - 19/10/20 at 02:12 PM

I don't have any to sell you.

But I'd suggest you don't buy some cheap sealed beam units with the lens moulded into the glass as they often have dreadful light patterns. I think it's partly due to them being a copy of a copy etc. and the lens is just a poorly defined wobble in the glass. My landrover had these when I got it (made by Ring) and the pattern was a mess and I could hardly see anything at night. I switched to these crystal clear ones with the reflector in the mirror and wow what a difference. I shall be using these again on the 2b.

linky

Deckman001 - 19/10/20 at 02:23 PM

Yeah good point, I have popped into CBS today to pick up some other bits and got a recommendation as to which headlights of theirs to buy which could sail through IVA. His reply was 7" black headlamp, HL181BK £35 each (£42 inc vat).

So if no one has any lamps that i could use for my IVA then that's my next option. It is a shame though to have to put 7" lamps on there instead of my original 4" ones that failed.

Jason

Mr Whippy - 19/10/20 at 02:47 PM

I prefer the bigger 7 inch ones as it gives the car a face one of the reasons I don't like the black LED type lights

Johnmor - 19/10/20 at 03:38 PM

Hi

I use those 7" black for my first Viento

Set the beam up against my garage door after marking position using my daily driver, passed SVA with no comment

steve m - 19/10/20 at 03:47 PM

I agree with Mr Whippy. the 7" headlights on a 7 look IMHO so much better than the small ish ones, yet the small ones do look good on some non 7 styled cars like the F1 replicars etc

car man - 19/10/20 at 04:46 PM

u2u sent

Deckman001 - 19/10/20 at 05:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by car man
u2u sent

Cheers Paul, and replied to

Badger_McLetcher - 21/10/20 at 09:52 AM

I used these ones:

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/5-34-complete-headlamp-black

Glued a bit of edge trim around the rim just to be sure; failed on alignment rather than anything else. A bit more expensive than the 7" ones, but closer to your original lights.

Deckman001 - 21/10/20 at 12:28 PM

Hi all, ,I think via u2u's I have now sorted them.
Am hoping to arrange pick up in a week or so so will be trying to do everything else by then.

Cheers all.

Jason

James - 22/10/20 at 11:25 AM

I used 7" ones.

I couldn't believe how good the lighting was compared to my road cars!

Deckman001 - 22/10/20 at 12:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James
I used 7" ones.

I couldn't believe how good the lighting was compared to my road cars!

Cheers James, Am currently waiting for a delivery of Diodes to sort my Fog light issue, then I can get the car back to my garage man to sort the suspension/ self centering, weld in the chassis plate and reset my ignition so as to get lower emissions.
Then it's just the head lights and manufacturers plate to arrange, then i can try to re book the test.

Jason