Board logo

Bargain dashcam, £14 delivered
UncleFista - 12/1/11 at 10:00 PM

Seems cheap as chuff to me for the spec, better res than the other type often praised on here..

Link

[Edited on 12/1/11 by UncleFista]

RazMan - 12/1/11 at 10:24 PM

Blimey! Looks like a bargain at that price
or for a few quid more you can get it with an 8Gb sd card

I like the fact that it is designed to be continuously overwriting the old files so you can use it to record every journey and in the event of a mishap you will always have video evidence of your actions prior to the mishap ..... as long as it doesn't coincide with the 2 second 'changeover' delay between files

Either way I have ordered one - looks quite sturdy and much less fragile than the usual cheapies.

[Edited on 12-1-11 by RazMan]

ashg - 13/1/11 at 12:04 AM

I have got the 8gig one its very good but it breaks the video into separate files all 5mins each its not the end of the world as you can stitch them back together using video editing software like virtualdubmod.

[Edited on 13/1/2011 by ashg]

craig1410 - 13/1/11 at 01:06 AM

Thanks for posting, I've just ordered one. Should come in handy when I get the Meerkat RV8 back on the road! :-))

expatkiwi - 13/1/11 at 06:36 AM

Just orderes one myself.
Lets see what crash footage I can get this year

Brian

LBMEFM - 13/1/11 at 08:27 AM

Feed back on their site is good too.

rallyingden - 13/1/11 at 09:05 AM

Ordered mine

RD

JoelP - 13/1/11 at 09:47 AM

me too!

couch22k - 13/1/11 at 01:07 PM

Me Three

Miks15 - 13/1/11 at 02:11 PM

Will order mine as soon as i get home later Would love some footage from my motorbike after a blast!

kendo - 13/1/11 at 04:55 PM

Me as well.

David Jenkins - 13/1/11 at 06:23 PM

Tempting...

I wonder how steady that suction mount is - it looks a bit flimsy. Probably flap about a bit when stuck to the screen of my Locost!

But, when you add up the cost of an 8GB microSD card, and a car lighter socket USB power supply, you can easily exceed £20... assuming that the quality is reasonable.

I've bought other stuff from 7dayshop - a good supplier, but many items are absolutely China's best quality. Make of that statement what you will.

[Edited on 13/1/11 by David Jenkins]

Confused but excited. - 15/1/11 at 03:20 PM

Just ordered one for a mate's b'day prezzie.
If it's any good I'll have one too.

LBMEFM - 16/1/11 at 11:38 AM

Ordered mine now, exciting init

coozer - 16/1/11 at 01:04 PM

Battery life looks iffy, so if I want stick it on the dash is it possible to hard wire it and keep it powered all the time the ignitions on??

alawrence - 16/1/11 at 01:11 PM

ordered....just need to build a car to strap it to !

coozer - 16/1/11 at 01:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Tempting...

I wonder how steady that suction mount is - it looks a bit flimsy. Probably flap about a bit when stuck to the screen of my Locost!

And, in case you didn't already know, over zealous cops are handing out fines and points for obstructed vision for sat navs stuck to the windscreen in the swept area. Be warned, central gov are after your cash!

loggyboy - 16/1/11 at 01:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

And, in case you didn't already know, over zealous cops are handing out fines and points for obstructed vision for sat navs stuck to the windscreen in the swept area. Be warned, central gov are after your cash!

That is EXCELLENT news. I get so fecked off with dicks with satnavs and phones half wah between dash and mirror, so dangerous!

marcjagman - 16/1/11 at 03:02 PM

I'll be having one too, we should get a discount.

karlak - 16/1/11 at 03:13 PM

Gone for one as well

RazMan - 17/1/11 at 01:07 PM

My one arrived this morning - very impressed with the build quality

One little tip - don't spend ages trying to read the really tiny instruction leaflet. The instructions (in Chinglish) are on the driver disc in a Word doc.

However the drivers don't want to talk to my 64bit pooter. Maybe my netbook will have better luck.

[Edited on 17-1-11 by RazMan]

40inches - 17/1/11 at 03:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
My one arrived this morning - very impressed with the build quality

One little tip - don't spend ages trying to read the really tiny instruction leaflet. The instructions (in Chinglish) are on the driver disc in a Word doc.

However the drivers don't want to talk to my 64bit pooter. Maybe my netbook will have better luck.

[Edited on 17-1-11 by RazMan]

There are 64bit drivers on the page just above the video here
Took me an hour to figure out how to set the time, DON'T turn the camera ON at the base until AFTER you have placed the TAG.TXT file on the SD card and unplugged the USB cable,and if you switch off at the base you have to do it all over again
Good camera though, amazing for £14.

bimbleuk - 17/1/11 at 03:59 PM

Ordered one myself and discarded the instructions as next to useless. The vid review on 7dayshop told me all I needed to know.

Only bad thing so far is the bike clip broke one of the release prongs the first time I tried to slip the upper half out off the handle bar grip. Be wary of that.

RazMan - 17/1/11 at 04:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
Took me an hour to figure out how to set the time, DON'T turn the camera ON at the base until AFTER you have placed the TAG.TXT file on the SD card and unplugged the USB cable,and if you switch off at the base you have to do it all over again

Actually those drivers have been superceded by V2.02.004 (I Googled to find them on a drivers website) and they installed fine. The TAG thing nearly got me, but I managed to figure it out.

montythemole - 17/1/11 at 07:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
Ordered one myself and discarded the instructions as next to useless. The vid review on 7dayshop told me all I needed to know.

Only bad thing so far is the bike clip broke one of the release prongs the first time I tried to slip the upper half out off the handle bar grip. Be wary of that.

I got mine, looks good. Trying to turn OFF the date though as it's frigging annoying!

RazMan - 17/1/11 at 07:58 PM

This link might be of some help - no guarantees though

couch22k - 18/1/11 at 01:45 PM

Not got mine.

Unless its at home waiting for me.

scudderfish - 18/1/11 at 02:14 PM

quote:
quote:

Actually those drivers have been superceded by V2.02.004 (I Googled to find them on a drivers website) and they installed fine. The TAG thing nearly got me, but I managed to figure it out.

Any chance of a link? Being the fashion victim I am, I only have slot loading Macs so I can't use the mini CD that the drivers come on

RazMan - 18/1/11 at 02:34 PM

I think this is the link

http://www.general-search.com/fileinfo/19578335

designer - 18/1/11 at 07:13 PM

This is £50+ on Ebay!!!!

MOTOR BIKE HELMET/ IN CAR DASH DVR VIDEO CAM/CAMERA UK on eBay (end time 06-Feb-11 05:49:35 GMT)

RazMan - 18/1/11 at 10:37 PM

Cheeky blighters! ... and they've already sold 7 of them too!

woolly - 18/1/11 at 10:59 PM

any body going to post there early efforts please

40inches - 19/1/11 at 01:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by woolly

Just put one on You Tube.
Tried it between jobs yesterday,very poor light conditions, with heavy shadows and very low bright sun.
I also didn't screw the support rod into the suction cup fully, and the camera was pointing to the left a bit
I should point out that it comes with a bike mounting kit, that could be adapted for a 7, and a cigar lighter/USB adaptor and USB cable, this can be used as a power supply to save the battery,although I left it running and it recorded 3hrs on battery
Just watched the video on You Tube, a lot of the quality has been lost in the upload and I must clean the windscreen

[Edited on 19-1-11 by 40inches]

balidey - 19/1/11 at 01:53 PM

Thanks for posting the vid, good to see results. Infact I'm quite impressed at that quality for the price. May now treat myself to one.

ken555 - 20/1/11 at 11:21 AM

quote:
This link might be of some help - no guarantees though

Just to let people know, it works. No more date/time overlay.

Youtube video to prove it

RazMan - 20/1/11 at 11:34 AM

Excellent! Did you use the hardware or software option? Any tips?

woolly - 20/1/11 at 11:35 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by woolly

Just put one on You Tube.
Tried it between jobs yesterday,very poor light conditions, with heavy shadows and very low bright sun.
I also didn't screw the support rod into the suction cup fully, and the camera was pointing to the left a bit
I should point out that it comes with a bike mounting kit, that could be adapted for a 7, and a cigar lighter/USB adaptor and USB cable, this can be used as a power supply to save the battery,although I left it running and it recorded 3hrs on battery
Just watched the video on You Tube, a lot of the quality has been lost in the upload and I must clean the windscreen

[Edited on 19-1-11 by 40inches]

many thanks and have ordered

ken555 - 20/1/11 at 12:13 PM

quote:
Excellent! Did you use the hardware or software option? Any tips?

Software all the way.

Just follow the guide word for word, but in between stages I switched the camera off at the back, then back on before plugging in.

[Edited on 20-1-11 by ken555]

ken555 - 21/1/11 at 12:13 PM

Has anyone else noticed quite a bit of RFI from the unit?

Stuck it into the Tintop today, and when running off the lighter socket, I noticed it started to "hiss" on the radio.

Might be that the reception is marginal in the area anyway.

dhutch - 21/1/11 at 10:46 PM

Not ordering one myself, but i know a lot of people with the keyring cam it was compared to in the video review (clearly form the same manufacture) and they have had some cracking footage with it.

Daniel

JoelP - 24/1/11 at 07:55 PM

first time i used it, 9 out of 13 files were corrupt and unreadable. Now its saying its 99% full, with no sign of anything on it.

I have a knack of falling out with technology!

balidey - 24/1/11 at 08:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
first time i used it, 9 out of 13 files were corrupt and unreadable. Now its saying its 99% full, with no sign of anything on it.

Not got one myself, but I have heard that most items like this respond well to quality branded SD cards, not the cheap items from China. So may be a reason why its failing on you?

woolly - 24/1/11 at 08:42 PM

sorry to hear that.

got mine today and just viewing the ride home. all working.

if you can fit it upside down i will

40inches - 24/1/11 at 09:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

Mine did that, seems to be the cheap SD card. I went into properties,tools,check disk and found a card full of corrupt files.
I have done a format, redone the time and it seems OK, it seems to have happened when the SD card filled up.
If it happens again I will try a quality card

DarrenW - 28/1/11 at 10:49 PM

Has anyone got theres to work as a web cam on Windows 7? What driver did you use?

Im generally impressed for 20 quid so far.

laptoprob - 29/1/11 at 09:08 AM

40inches.....i know that area well on your youtube vid

I live near Crystal Peaks so will have to catch up with us early spring for a blat across Derbyshire.There is a small group of us with BEC+CEC cars.

Great little cam, just ordered one.

Richard Quinn - 29/1/11 at 09:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Has anyone got theres to work as a web cam on Windows 7? What driver did you use?

I think it works ok with Amcap which I think is on the disc (I downloaded the software as I was putting it on a netbook and couldn't be bothered looking for my DVD drive). You have to press the record button when it's plugged in but then it should show up as an option under "devices" in Amcap. I only tried it briefly and I was able to change to the camera from the netbook's built in one.

40inches - 29/1/11 at 10:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

I think it works ok with Amcap which I think is on the disc (I downloaded the software as I was putting it on a netbook and couldn't be bothered looking for my DVD drive). You have to press the record button when it's plugged in but then it should show up as an option under "devices" in Amcap. I only tried it briefly and I was able to change to the camera from the netbook's built in one.

I used the Amcap software on the 7Day website, works very well on Windows 7 64bit

40inches - 29/1/11 at 10:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by laptoprob
40inches.....i know that area well on your youtube vid

I live near Crystal Peaks so will have to catch up with us early spring for a blat across Derbyshire.There is a small group of us with BEC+CEC cars.

Great little cam, just ordered one.

My work area covers a 5 mile radius around Crystal Peaks, I live in New Whittington
Be nice to go for a blat anywhere, the MK is 10 years old in March and may/will/better be finished by the summer this year

laptoprob - 29/1/11 at 12:19 PM

Give me a nudge if you need a hand with it mate. Your not too far away.

Nash - 29/1/11 at 04:37 PM

He is some car footage with this cam from one of the guys in our club from a run we did last weekend.

For info he has hard wired this on in to the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT-P3UCkyBQ

Give me a shout if you are interested and I'll get him to post how he did it.

.......Neil

hughpinder - 9/2/11 at 11:00 AM

Scudderfish - The camera just worked on my mac (OSX10.5) - files imported to iphoto as soon as I plugged it in. The only thing on the cd is the manual.
Regards
Hugh

ballcock - 18/2/11 at 07:14 PM

Having read this post I decided to buy one of these, unfortunately I broke the little cd that came with it can any one kindly email me a copy of the files on it. Many thanks Tom.

Benzo - 18/2/11 at 07:51 PM

Ive just ordered one.. should be fun to document the races.. £13.99 delivered now.. complete bargain! does anyone no is the handlebar mount will go around my roll cage?

Benzo - 18/2/11 at 07:51 PM

Ive just ordered one.. should be fun to document the races.. £13.99 delivered now.. complete bargain! does anyone no is the handlebar mount will go around my roll cage?

Xtreme Kermit - 18/2/11 at 08:40 PM

Just had mine delivered today. It doesn't look like the handlebar mount will fit round my roll bar.

Going to have to think of another way of mounting it

mangogrooveworkshop - 18/2/11 at 09:07 PM

Nice to catch Cheeater footage......

Xtreme Kermit - 18/2/11 at 09:34 PM

Lol...

wilkingj - 19/2/11 at 02:05 PM

Are these Cams sdHC compliant?

ie what cards are you using, asits no good me buying the wrong memory card (eg if it doesnt work with HC) for it.
Also whats speed is best (or what NOT to buy)

Thanks in advance

RazMan - 19/2/11 at 03:25 PM

I've been using a standard 16Gb microSD which seems fine - no jerkiness or dropouts

Wheels244 - 19/2/11 at 03:52 PM

I've just ordered one as well

dinosaurjuice - 19/2/11 at 05:34 PM

just ordered mine

westy turbo - 24/2/11 at 07:32 AM

Do they ship overseas,think just UK right?

franky - 24/2/11 at 09:05 AM

if you want one, you can have it delivered to mine and i'll forward it one.

Eternal - 24/2/11 at 10:17 AM

Just ordered one myself. Looks like a good deal but only the 4gb cards left.

westy turbo - 24/2/11 at 10:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by franky

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN THANKS ALOT
!! pm me your paypal

westy turbo - 24/2/11 at 10:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by franky

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN THANKS ALOT
!! pm me your paypal

wilkingj - 27/2/11 at 02:00 PM

Okies... had mine for a few days now.

Works VERY WELL in the Mundaneo when plugged into the ciggy socket. Excellent results even if a bit boring!

Just put it on the Viento and went for a drive over to Rusty Nuts (First drive out since Sept las year). Mine certainly doesn't like running on its own battery.
Now I dont know if this is down to me not charging it up properly, or whether the Throbbing V8 hit the "OFF" button or what.
I will be running it off a Ciggy Lighter socket when I fit one

Anyone else had any probs when running on the internal battery?

So far, I am very pleased with the cam and the results. Just not sure about the internal battery on mine. Maybe I got a bad battery, and I will be investigation and checking it out.
Just to keep you all posted.

EDIT:
Just managed to get the red light flashing which means its charging. Have never had the red LED on before, so suspect the battery was flat or nearly flat which would explain my problem with not recording (Auto shutdown is a facility). So will leave it on charge overnight as it says to charge the first 3 times for 12 hours apiece.
I shudda read the Manual (RTFM applies here!)

[Edited on 27/2/2011 by wilkingj]

dave r - 27/2/11 at 08:57 PM

the manual is next to useless, the video review on the 7dayshop site is better

Benzo - 1/3/11 at 09:57 PM

so where is the cheapest place to get a micro SD card then guys?

what size should i go for?

Also the fecking mini CD that comes with it wont go in my Drive on my Mac Book, it needs a propper pop out drive, can anyone tell me if the CD is actually needed or what is on there? i presume i could just record onto the card and use a micro SD to SD card adaptor and use that in my laptops SD Card reader?

Would 8GB card be enough for me to get an Hours footage on a race day?

Also what format does the Camera output the videos in? wonder what software for mac i could use to stitch the races together and trim off bits before and after the race?

Thanks

Benzo - 1/3/11 at 09:59 PM

Looking forward to building alittle mount off the passengers harness mount for the cam this weekend because my passengers seat is always pulled out for the races.. mm.. i love little toys!

wilkingj - 1/3/11 at 11:02 PM

I got a Class 4 8GB SDHC card from 7dayshop for £8.49 delivered, and a Kingston one at that, and it works fine. You ought to have a Class4 card at the minimum.
I think I should have got a 16GB one really...

The drivers and software is downloadable fom the 7dayshop website its in the words of the CarCam advert / page

Linky to Driver File

Also agree the video is better than the manual.

Linky to You-tube Vid

DONT turn off the power at the back of tha camera, or you loose the date info. Watch the Video for all the ins and outs.

Happy now I know how to use it properly.

Benzo - 3/3/11 at 10:33 PM

mounted up my camera tonight

None of the mounts really worked so a made another simple one.. just need to work out how wide the field of vision is now when i get a Micro SD to SD card converter, doesnt seem to be showing up as a drive when i plug it into my computer

montythemole - 4/3/11 at 08:06 AM

Nice mount. Considering how to mount mine at the moment as well. Have a stag event this weekend with buggies etc so going to try it out just taped on to one of those and see how it works.

Managed to remove the date using the software method as well. Fiddly but worked!

Eternal - 4/3/11 at 09:01 AM

My one took video and pictures ok. Attatched it to the pc and it mounted. Found the folder with the files then as soon as i select anything it just crashes the window..... lame. Should have expected nothing less for £14 oh well in the bin it goes! Have tested on 3 pc's and all the same.

[Edited on 4/3/11 by Eternal]

Benzo - 4/3/11 at 10:00 AM

Mate.. If you have a card reader you cab get an adaptor for 99p on eBay for your micro sd to sd..

wilkingj - 4/3/11 at 11:58 AM

Mine crashed, and I reformatted the SD card, and has been fine ever since.
Dont know it that helps.
Also only format as fat or fat 32 (not sure which, but NOT as NTFS.

40inches - 4/3/11 at 01:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Mine crashed, and I reformatted the SD card, and has been fine ever since.
Dont know it that helps.
Also only format as fat or fat 32 (not sure which, but NOT as NTFS.

Same here, reformat, been ok since.

Eternal - 6/3/11 at 08:01 PM

Did a format of the memory card and work fine now. Great stuff! Thanks for the tip.

montythemole - 7/3/11 at 11:35 PM

My first go with it, for a mate's stag do. Taped in place to various bonnet/dash/roll cage points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XELP0-DeqJQ

Impressed for the money. Sometimes hard to see the flashing record LED in daylight and lining up square and level not always easy.

Russell - 31/3/11 at 08:59 PM

Back in stock, still £13.99