Board logo

SIP weldmate 105
foskid - 23/4/10 at 09:05 AM

Just been offered a SIP weldmate 105 mig welder at what seems a good price.

ranges from 25amp on up. Anyone had any dealings with these, is it worth considering or are they a pile of junk.

coozer - 23/4/10 at 09:12 AM

Low ampage, won't weld much over 3mm thick and very flimsy but if its cheap enough may be good practice.

imp paul - 23/4/10 at 09:14 AM

i have a sip 150 turbo and its sweet as a nut but some like clarks or sealy but also down to the type of work you want to do all in all its not a bad thing but a wee bit more power would be better for thick stuff also parts are easy to get hold of all the best paul

theconrodkid - 23/4/10 at 09:14 AM

SIP are regarded as bottom of the pile in quality/usability terms,you would be better off (mental health wise as well) to but a clarke or similar

MikeRJ - 23/4/10 at 09:25 AM

The smaller SIP welders tend to have very poor motor speed control since it's driven from the output of the main transformer, so wire speed varies as the welding current fluctuates. A common modification is to fit a small secondary transformer just to supply the motor and speed controller.

britishtrident - 23/4/10 at 10:21 AM

The on the non pro SIP models the wire feed mechanism is not up the job.

v8kid - 23/4/10 at 10:35 AM

There are well doccumented problems with the wire feed mech but if you can be bothered fiddling with it the problems can be corrected for about £20. Mine now works fine but it was a pig as bought

Still a bit light on the current though to be fair if welding heavier plate you are far better off using a DC stick welder

T66 - 23/4/10 at 08:44 PM

My sip150 turbo was a pain...

Poor wire feed, and a lack of usable amperage settings.

My scabby Clarke 120 performed much better, doing exactly what it said on the box

I wouldnt have another sip.

foskid - 29/4/10 at 01:19 PM

Thanks guy's, I think i'll just give that one a body swerve and get something a bit more upmarket. Within reason of course