Board logo

Bradbury jack seals
Peteff - 21/2/11 at 11:56 AM

I have an old trolley jack, a Bradbury Jackette which had a weep so I took it to pieces and found two seals cracked and an O ring split. I would like to replace these but they are not standard sizes and the only option on the net is a Jackette seal kit which is £45.95 + VAT +£4.95 p&p. Does anyone know of anywhere I can find just the parts I need? I have tried all the local bearing suppliers and had no luck.

JeffHs - 21/2/11 at 12:26 PM

There are people about who make custom seals. We needed some for the Hydarulic flap actuator on the Auster. My mate got them made in Sheffield. I'll try to find the company name - they weren't silly money if I remember.

balidey - 21/2/11 at 12:33 PM

Someone like these people will almost certainly have something close to what you want.

http://www.hallite.com/

paulf - 21/2/11 at 12:39 PM

I have a Bradbury jackette and it also developed a leak,I kept refilling it for a year or 2 but eventually it got to bad to use.
I stripped it and found the main cause of the leak was the plunger seal, not knowing exactly what it was like when new i just went to a local hydraulics supplier and got a couple of similar sized O rings .The nearest size was an imperial one with a thick section and after stretching it a bit to fit it now works perfectly with no leaks.
Paul

Peteff - 21/2/11 at 12:52 PM

That's the ones on the plunger seal, one's a thick O ring and apparently the other is a U ring. There's a big O ring in the end of the ram section that is a bit iffy as well so I want to replace that as well so if O rings will do it I'll look for some of those. All the ones I've found so far just disappear in the slots as they are too thin.

Dingz - 21/2/11 at 01:09 PM

Can you carefully measure the seals and sketch of them, send me a U2U with the info and I will try to help.

Peteff - 21/2/11 at 01:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
Can you carefully measure the seals and sketch of them, send me a U2U with the info and I will try to help.

I am on my way out to the shed to measure them, here's hoping thanks.

paulf - 21/2/11 at 01:47 PM

I replaced them both with O rings if I remember correctly, it did take a bit of searching through boxes of O rings to find some near the correct section, mine has been fine since and even though they may not be the exact replacement they are not really under high stress compared to proper hydraulics.
Paul

quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
That's the ones on the plunger seal, one's a thick O ring and apparently the other is a U ring. There's a big O ring in the end of the ram section that is a bit iffy as well so I want to replace that as well so if O rings will do it I'll look for some of those. All the ones I've found so far just disappear in the slots as they are too thin.