Board logo

Basic mill collet help... Schaubling collets?
edthedrummer - 16/5/14 at 10:41 PM

Bonjour everybody.

I've bought myself a lovely and rare little emco FB2 mentor mill, it came with nothing, bar a chuck for a milling tool.

The chuck says: Schaubling 161-120 on it. There's less than no information available to me on the interscrote, so I am asking if anybody can shed any light on whether or not this chuck can take ER type collets, or if Schaubling used there own design?

Also, anybody know what size t-slots I need? my slots in the bed measure 15mm wide bottoms, 10mm wide top and a 10ishmm height? Does that ring bells in imperial measurements as a standard size t-slot?

Thanks,

Ed

Here's a couple of pictures of the chuck:

Untitled by Edward Ashton, on Flickr

[Edited on 16/5/14 by edthedrummer]

big_wasa - 16/5/14 at 11:41 PM

Ah you out bid me last week then.

The spanner and collets where spread around the sale room.

edthedrummer - 17/5/14 at 05:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Ah you out bid me last week then.

The spanner and collets where spread around the sale room.

Haha!! No way! My dad was bidding for me as I was away, he's a regular down there. He mentioned there was some pillar drills up for grabs, couldn't believe it when he sent a picture of that emco!

I had a feeling they would have been! Please don't say you bought them and now want £546 for them? :p

Dualist - 17/5/14 at 07:14 AM

Looking at this...

Schaublin 161-120 ER25 Edelstaal Collet Chuck Holder MT2 with 11 Collets

You may have ER25 collets, but you could always take it out the holder and take a pic so we can see for sure.

big_wasa - 17/5/14 at 07:57 AM

Please don't say you bought them and now want £546 for them? :p

No they really where spread out. And it would have took the £546 to buy all the boxes, its why I didn't go higher. That and I didn't bring the trailer. I was kicking my self as it was a bargain at half eBay. (where is the shaking fist simile).

The lathe was a bargain at half eBay as well but I bought a Boxford a couple of weeks ago.

I bid on the drill but that fetched double eBay.

edthedrummer - 17/5/14 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

Please don't say you bought them and now want £546 for them? :p

No they really where spread out. And it would have took the £546 to buy all the boxes, its why I didn't go higher. That and I didn't bring the trailer. I was kicking my self as it was a bargain at half eBay. (where is the shaking fist simile).

The lathe was a bargain at half eBay as well but I bought a Boxford a couple of weeks ago.

I bid on the drill but that fetched double eBay.

Yeah I thought as much. Haha!! How much do these mills normally fetch? haven't seen another emco available.

The lathe looked very nice in the picture, it had a milling attachment too?

big_wasa - 17/5/14 at 09:11 PM

The lathe was perfect, I guess he had bought it from new and would have been £4500 ish. A super 7 with gear box would fetch £1400~£1800 on ebay. The Rodney miller sells for £450~500 on ebay. Milling slide over £100 and the cabinet was stuffed.

I dropped out at a grand as I didn't have the need or the transport and I think it went for just over £1200.

I went and had a look at the emco Friday afternoon. I've seen a couple of similar ones sell for £500~600 and went to £290 + commission.

The item I really wanted was the spot welder and the Alpine drill press.

I didn't get a thing.....and the only cash I spent was a cup of tea

edthedrummer - 18/5/14 at 08:06 AM

Ouch!! I know myfords always fetch good money, it certainly was a nice spec. I just bought a drummond m type not so long ago though so like you, didn't really have the need.

hajj fair enough, I guess it was you that we were bidding against right at the end? Because we didn't pay a lot more i don't think.

Ohhh didn't know there was a spot welder there!! Really wishing I has gone on Friday after work, I was only round the corner from the auction but totally forgot!

edthedrummer - 19/5/14 at 06:35 PM

Right, I have removed the chuck and collet this evening and taken pictures of the collet itself to see if anybody can identify it.

I hope it's an ER collet, would make things nice and simple then!!

Wadders - 19/5/14 at 06:55 PM

This might help.....

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/deckel-maho-aciera-abene-mills/mystery-schaublin-collets-240187/

Al

edthedrummer - 19/5/14 at 07:24 PM

Thanks Al, good link!!

Hope with a new ER nut and an ER collet, it will work!!