Board logo

Cheap workshop overalls
JMW - 10/10/17 at 05:00 PM

Suggestions please for where to get a cheap overall/boiler suit?

ian locostzx9rc2 - 10/10/17 at 05:26 PM

E bay

r1_pete - 10/10/17 at 05:29 PM

Wickes

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Heavy-Duty-Polycotton-Boiler-Suit-Navy-Blue/p/9000033769

steve m - 10/10/17 at 06:02 PM

Ive never been one for overalls, its a bit Grandadish for me, and yes im a Grandad
But wifey, has always been the eye, that if any of my clothes are slightly worn or stained, or even passed it, they get chucked into the garage, for recycling, as in Garage use, and then binned

worked well in nearly 40 years for me

steve

gremlin1234 - 10/10/17 at 06:29 PM

you can get disposable overalls, (though I guess not recyclable)
for instance
https://www.screwfix.com/c/safety-workwear/disposable-overalls/cat5390004
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P6V9EZ0?psc=1

HowardB - 10/10/17 at 08:15 PM

Having seen the mess that loose clothing can cause in machinery, and having hot metal bounce of my cotton overalls I am one for function over style. I have comfy loose ones for decorating, and thicker zip up ones for welding. They all have paint marks, PU foam stains burns and the occasional scuff, better them than my skin.

I think on average mine cost me circa £20 a pair,..

shindha - 10/10/17 at 08:26 PM

Try and get some with either concealed fasteners or rubber coated ones - to avoid scratching the body work.

cliftyhanger - 11/10/17 at 02:09 AM

I got a couple of pairs off fleabay that were "ex rental" so decent quality but a bit worn. Freshly laundered. Plus they come with company logos!
Actually handy to have "Summer" (over a t shirt/shorts) and "winter" (allow extra space for a thick jumper/trousers etc)

Schrodinger - 11/10/17 at 05:53 AM

I use "Dickies" trousers and jacket rather than overalls, I find them more comfortable.

MikeR - 11/10/17 at 11:19 AM

does anyone know where you can get some to fit the taller in the body gentleman?

I'm 6'3 and find i need a little more 'length' due to difficulty sitting comfortably and as its heading to winter probably a bit more in the middle to cover the extra insulation i'm carrying.

coozer - 11/10/17 at 01:32 PM

Toolstation

tims31 - 11/10/17 at 03:52 PM

Try an Army surplus store. Lots of ex military overalls and of a wide range in sizes

nick205 - 12/10/17 at 08:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Ive never been one for overalls, its a bit Grandadish for me, and yes im a Grandad
But wifey, has always been the eye, that if any of my clothes are slightly worn or stained, or even passed it, they get chucked into the garage, for recycling, as in Garage use, and then binned

worked well in nearly 40 years for me

steve

Same here - wear the clothes until the good lady moans about them. They then go into the workshop pile (or worse still straight in the bin). Works fine for me - old jeans, t-shirts, sweat shirts, socks etc.

SWMBO's American uncle donated a baseball cap (from his employer) for workshop use. It even gained a nail in the wall to hang it on when not being worn.

MikeR - 12/10/17 at 10:52 AM

i also do this and have a large pile of stuff - but i want something i can pull over my good clothes for a quick potter in the garage ...........

cause a few quick potters will mean i start to get stuff done and if i've got a decent overall on a quick potter may get extended to a really productive "oops, sorry i lost track of time"

nick205 - 12/10/17 at 01:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
i also do this and have a large pile of stuff - but i want something i can pull over my good clothes for a quick potter in the garage ...........

cause a few quick potters will mean i start to get stuff done and if i've got a decent overall on a quick potter may get extended to a really productive "oops, sorry i lost track of time"

Fair comment - hung on the back of the garage door would make it even more handy

MikeR - 12/10/17 at 02:00 PM

Door hook is already in place