Board logo

Power File belts breaking
Ivan - 19/10/06 at 03:39 PM

I am getting tired (and poorer) because of my power file belts breaking at the glue line each time they get even mildly warm

Has anybody found an answer to this as the tool is useless at the moment because I just can't afford a new belt after every 3 or 4 minutes of use.

Otherwise its a brilliant tool - especialy for polishing work on the lathe.

By the way - has anybody found that grinding products to build a chassis cost almost what "the book" says the whole car will cost

RazMan - 19/10/06 at 03:49 PM

There are some variable quality belts on sale and the B&D ones are not the best around.
I have found that my belts tend to snap if I use the Powerfile in short bursts - long periods of operation are no problem.

PeterW - 19/10/06 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
I am getting tired (and poorer) because of my power file belts breaking at the glue line each time they get even mildly warm

Has anybody found an answer to this as the tool is useless at the moment because I just can't afford a new belt after every 3 or 4 minutes of use.

Otherwise its a brilliant tool - especialy for polishing work on the lathe.

By the way - has anybody found that grinding products to build a chassis cost almost what "the book" says the whole car will cost

Take them back !

Not fit for purpose...! I don't know any of the sheds that would try and stand up to an argument about lack of quality if things are breaking after a few minutes.

I took back 4 Pirana jigsaw blades after I blunted the lot - cutting stainless steel admittedly...

Cheers

Pete

MikeRJ - 19/10/06 at 04:56 PM

Just FYI, if you value your lathe you won't put emery/carbide abrasives anywhere near it. A sure fire way of ruining the bed and slides.

DarrenW - 19/10/06 at 05:11 PM

Have you put the belts on the right way round. Important to orientate as per arrow on inside of belt. They snap anyway but last a bit longer.

Take unworn snapped belts back.

Ivan - 19/10/06 at 08:28 PM

Yes I have (put the belts the right way round) - after the first one snapped I made doubly sure of that - but yes it always pays to check so thanks.

Mr G - 19/10/06 at 08:43 PM

The only time mine snap is when i've caught something jagged which either rips the width of the band down or breaks it completely.

Yours are definately running true after fitment I take it?

Cheers

G

flak monkey - 19/10/06 at 08:45 PM

We use them no end at work and the belts last for ages. We use them for deburring cast iron and steel components. Think we buy our belts from buckhickman: http://bhinone.farnell.com/

Search for 'linisher' Clicky

David

[Edited on 19/10/06 by flak monkey]

robinj66 - 19/10/06 at 10:33 PM

you could try a seller called HALLMORK on Ebay. I've not had any trouble with the belts I bought back in 2004