Board logo

Machining O ring grooves Lathe
thomas4age - 27/4/08 at 03:48 PM

How do you determine what the size and depth of an o-ring groove has to be when turning such on a lathe?

offcourse it depends on the thickness of the O-ring but is there some rule of thumb or good reading on this online somewhere?
basic question is how much smaller must the hole/groove be compared to the o-ring.

I need to machine the grooves internaly and externaly on a piece of T6 alloy, and have the normal array of HSS toolbit stuff

one side of the o ring has 0.9bar boost presure the other side has coolant which at the highest will be 80 degreesC (hopefully a LOT lower)

any tips welcome,

grtz Thomas

Hellfire - 27/4/08 at 04:05 PM

HERE YOU GO

I can get you a range of specific o ring form groove inserts and tools for most of the DIN standards for not much money if you require.

Steve

[Edited on 27-4-08 by Hellfire]

thomas4age - 27/4/08 at 06:55 PM

I can get O rings in holland @ technirub they have about everything I need,

I would however be interested in tolling for the lathe,

I don't really understand the site you showed, are the sizes in the columns in metric or inches?

grtz thomas

Hellfire - 28/4/08 at 07:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thomas4age
I can get O rings in holland @ technirub they have about everything I need,

I would however be interested in tolling for the lathe, Let me know what size shanks you use and the width of o-rings you are planning on using

I don't really understand the site you showed, are the sizes in the columns in metric or inches? Both, as indicated

grtz thomas

Steve

thomas4age - 28/4/08 at 07:22 AM

will do, have to take some measuerments before I go out and buy some rings, I'll let you know. I need to do internal and external cutting.

do you have the tip inserts or the normal toolbit stuff? if it's the tip inserts I need the holder aswell.

I think I understand the sizes now, the Yanks use a group of sizes and we have the real different ones, both fit the same grooves....
What about the ring itself, in my application the rings sits inside a tube on the outseid wall, and the water water way 30.2mm is pushed through the tube, How big a diameter does the ring need to be, or in other words how far must the ring be compressed to give a goog seal?
I understand that the surface of the groove needs to be very neat. should I think of pollishing it?

I'll cook something up and report back, what are we looking at cost wise?

Grtz Thomas

]

[Edited on 28/4/08 by thomas4age]