Board logo

critical error: d3d_error_c
andrew-theasby - 30/12/09 at 08:57 PM

Hi, can anybody help please, my uncle got a game for his pc for christmas called wings of honour, battles of the red baron. It installs fine, then when you open it, it plays a demo type video then before it gets to the menus, it shuts down and says critical error: d3d_error_c. Ive googled it and other people have had the same problem, and suggest its to do with direct x. The disc comes with direct x 9 and installs that during the game installation, ive tried run and "dxdiag" and it shows were on version 9 too. Ive also updated the graphics card driver. Any other suggestions please before i send it back? Thanks

McLannahan - 30/12/09 at 10:11 PM

That does look like a DirectX error. Is it worth trying DX10? I think 11 is out now for newer OS's?

I've known discs to have older software on than actually needed so possibly worth a try?

andrew-theasby - 30/12/09 at 10:32 PM

its windows xp if that makes any difference, i wondered about direct x 10, but when i looked for it, it said you need to create a system restore point incase it goes wrong as its not reversible? That worried me a bit with it not being my own computer, could anyone tell me how to do it safely? Thanks

McLannahan - 30/12/09 at 10:39 PM

System restore is rarely needed when it comes to device drivers IHMO. You can always roll back pre-DX10 so shouldn't be an issue. Good Luck!

02GF74 - 31/12/09 at 10:38 AM

send it back and tell your uncle to get a proper hobby like building a car.

MikeR - 31/12/09 at 11:10 AM

Re-install direct X9, then re-install the game - should sort it.

The issue could be if its deigned for a very specific version of direct x9 - although this is very unlikely these days. Used to occur years ago.