Board logo

Avast switches self off - other free recommendations?
v8kid - 23/6/10 at 07:56 AM

My free avg switches itself off after a couple days after downloading and to my mind antivirus which don't work is worse than none at all.

As a temp measure I've installed Clam.

Is it any good? Any other recommendation please?

Cheers

David

Humbug - 23/6/10 at 08:06 AM

Sounds like a setting must be wrong, as I've used Avast for at least a couple of years with no probs.

I used to use AVG which was OK, though I think it only virus checks files on opening, not on downloading...

cd.thomson - 23/6/10 at 08:11 AM

AVG and Avast are two different things. Which are you having problems with? It sounds like you have some shareware version of AVG.

Install Avast instead.

Surrey Dave - 23/6/10 at 08:19 AM

It needs a free license code after 30 days? or it switches off , or you can just install again , doesn't take long.

I found my computer jolly slow with AVG.

mad4x4 - 23/6/10 at 09:22 AM

If you get the right version it is free for non-commercial use - you register once and it last for a year.

v8kid - 23/6/10 at 10:49 AM

Ah! did not realize they were different. It was the Avast free antivirus I downloaded. After 2 days it switched itself off and would not switch on as file was unavailable.
Reloaded it and same thing again.

Will try a 3rd time since it works for you guys I must be doing summat wrong.

Cheers

designer - 23/6/10 at 11:10 AM

I have no problem with Avast, both english and french versions.

Hate AVG, slows computer down.

Dale - 23/6/10 at 01:02 PM

Avast uses a much smaller foot print than avg does.
Dale

Humbug - 23/6/10 at 04:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
AVG and Avast are two different things. Which are you having problems with? It sounds like you have some shareware version of AVG.

Install Avast instead.

I know that... I've got Avast now and I used to have AVG . I prefer Avast

[Edited on 23.06.2010 by Humbug]

Staple balls - 23/6/10 at 04:29 PM

For paid AV, I really like nod32.

Free*, I've heard a lot of good about MS Security Essentials, Though I've yet to test it.

*assuming your copy of windows didn't get found on the floor.

[Edited on 23/6/10 by Staple balls]

dlatch - 23/6/10 at 04:47 PM

tried them all at some time and i always return to AVG it still does the job but on slower computers will affect performance as it has become quite a large program

avast was a good program but i have had virus problems while using it so i went back to avg

also to get round the zonealarm/avg issue use online armour firewall its bloody ace and runs well with avg

also sounds like you using avg shareware download the free version

drhunter - 23/6/10 at 06:37 PM

I started to use MS Security essentials after the latest version of AVG seemed to slow my PC down quite a bit.

quote:
Originally posted by Staple balls
For paid AV, I really like nod32.

Free*, I've heard a lot of good about MS Security Essentials, Though I've yet to test it.

*assuming your copy of windows didn't get found on the floor.

[Edited on 23/6/10 by Staple balls]