Board logo

Linux help?
caber - 12/8/08 at 07:00 PM

On the basis that this forum is the fnt of all knowledge I have bought an Asus EEEPC that runs Linux. I have installed EEEBuntu which is s sort of optimized Ubuntu for the EEE, it has Compiz fusion and AWN and I could really use a link to a site that can explain or document these features. If all the above is nonsense to you don't worry and I am sorry I wasted your time!

Caber

the_fbi - 12/8/08 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by caber
On the basis that this forum is the fnt of all knowledge I have bought an Asus EEEPC that runs Linux. I have installed EEEBuntu which is s sort of optimized Ubuntu for the EEE, it has Compiz fusion and AWN and I could really use a link to a site that can explain or document these features. If all the above is nonsense to you don't worry and I am sorry I wasted your time!

Caber

I hadn't come across Compiz till the latest backtrack which has a Compiz option.

Its a window manager, similar to KDE/gnome/etc but but fully opengl enabled so very quick and capable of some good graphic effects.

Awm is Avant Window Navigator you'll more info from http://awn-project.org follow the link on the about page.

Thats all I know, I hate glitzy interfaces so steer well clear of even Gnome, sticking with KDE, and my XP is configured with 2K look/feel too.

locogeoff - 12/8/08 at 10:33 PM

What model of Eee PC did you opt for, as I'm really interested in buying one, and what are your initial opinions re speed screen size etc

Dillinger1977 - 13/8/08 at 04:01 PM

eee pc's are great. I 'nlited' an XP install on mine (got it down to about 500 megs)

i'd never recommend one as a 'proper' laptop or a desktop replacement, but as just a cheapo web browser they are ace.
yes the keyboard is small but you get used to it (unless you have sausage fingers) and the screen is a bit cramped.

mine is a stock 4g one (701?)
i was going to upgrade main memory to 2 gig and stick an extra 4gb flash in but havent bothered, its fine as it is.

iank - 13/8/08 at 04:29 PM

Here's an example of what compiz fusion looks like when it's running. I'm amazed it looks so good on the modest hardware in an eeepc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM0pzdtCFzs&feature=related

Not got one myself, still justifying it to myself so no experience of setting it up