Board logo

Do my headers look stupid?
C10CoryM - 5/9/09 at 08:41 PM

http://www3.telus.net/public/corym/header/

Hey guys.
Rare for me to ask other peoples opinions about aesthetic things but I need some input.
Building headers from a V8 kit. I stopped halfway through the 2nd one because I dont know if I like the way they look. I opted to go straight out with them because the angle of the pre-bent tubes. They would have to come out of the heads angled forward to get the collector to hug the body. Also I want to run the longest muffler possible as I don't like the exhaust note of these engines.

So basically my choices are:
Carry on like this (tubes straight out, longer muffler).
Cut tubes shorter at the heads and angle collector along body. This makes the tubes angle forward and requires a curved piece between collector and muffler. Shorter muffler.
Or quit fooling around being lazy, and cut up these headers and use the bends to get the exact profile I want. Still don't know exactly what profile that would be though.

Thanks for the input.
Cory

blakep82 - 5/9/09 at 08:44 PM

imo they stick out too far, and by you asking on here, you're obviously not happy with them. difficult to explain how i think they should be, i'll maybe try and draw it out in a sec

you're also missing 2 cylinders from your V8

edit:
here, like this
Description
Description

you shouldn't need to do the whole lot again, 6 cuts (one on each tube) and reweld tot he flange plate should see you right i think

[Edited on 5/9/09 by blakep82]

Ben_Copeland - 5/9/09 at 08:49 PM

Looks silly tbh.

Better to do it properly and you'll always be happy with it. Not wishing you'd done it right first time

omega0684 - 5/9/09 at 08:51 PM

got to agree with blake on this one, i think they stick out too far for a seven type car. his diagram illustrates how it should be nicely. very nice talent you have there though if you made them yourself

myke pocock - 5/9/09 at 08:52 PM

Yup, TOOOOO far out. Solution as above. If youve got this far whats an hour or two extra time to get it tickety boo.

Fozzie - 5/9/09 at 09:16 PM

Too far from the 'body line', and too angular.

Reminds me of a Model T Hotrod

If you look at picture 2 it seems almost straight then to a 90 degree, (and far too tight) bend.

Bring closer to the body line, and think of smooth flowing sexy curves...

IMHO of course.....

Fozzie

02GF74 - 5/9/09 at 10:10 PM

i though they were ok til I saw the last picture with the body work fitted - a little bit too far out.

but why not get some 2 inch plastic pipe and mock them up rather than doing if for real?

JAMSTER - 6/9/09 at 09:38 AM

would it work out if you welded the other end of the pipe to the flange

Litemoth - 6/9/09 at 11:09 AM

I agree too....looking side on they should all be swept back. Yours drop vertically down (or even point forwards) meaning they take a longer route and have to bend sharply before following the horizontal.

C10CoryM - 11/9/09 at 11:54 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for the comments. I agree they did look stupid sticking out that far. I guess I was looking for an excuse to not fix them. Unusual for me to be such a wuss but I had a cold and was feeling lazy I guess.

Today I shortened one and got it where I was happy enough to weld it up tight (other than 2 pinholes I cant get too.... ack!). It is still "angular" which doesn't bother me too much because: It means its an equal length header, and this is a Canadian car. Meaning it's going to be looked at as a hotrod here, and the supercharger that will stick out the bonnet kind of adds to that. I understand why you guys would prefer them swept back, and I may go that route eventually, but this is the way it's going to be now. If for no other reason than because I don't think I'm skilled enough to get equal length headers that sweep back. For this car, function > form. Once I finish cleaning up the welds inside they should flow nicely. I may use a torch to curve the front of the primarys in closer to the bodywork but that will be done later. Pictures of the finished one here: http://www3.telus.net/public/corym/header/

Cheers,
Cory

C10CoryM - 11/9/09 at 11:59 PM

Also wanted to mention that they will be coated/wrapped so that will hide a lot

And yes, I know I am missing 2 holes off my V8... which is why I want my exhaust as quiet as possible. Just want to hear the blower whine and not the buzzy exhaust.