Board logo

solid sheet of coloured fiberglass in plastic
mk85 - 29/1/16 at 10:01 AM

Trying to find a supplier for a sheet to cover the rear tub. What have and who have you used to do this.

Thanks

nick205 - 29/1/16 at 10:47 AM

Might be getting this wrong, but wont you need to bend it to make the shape of the rear tub? If so I'd have thought a sheet of ally would be a better bet.

David Jenkins - 29/1/16 at 11:03 AM

If you just want a flat piece to make a lid, I've bought acrylic sheet on ebay from this place.

Note to self: read the original post properly - acrylic isn't fibreglass!

[Edited on 29/1/16 by David Jenkins]

40inches - 29/1/16 at 11:26 AM

You may find that ally sheet is cheaper http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/p-3028-2mm-fibreglass-flat-sheet-black-brown-ral-8022.aspx

nick205 - 29/1/16 at 11:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
If you just want a flat piece to make a lid, I've bought acrylic sheet on ebay from this place.

Ah, if you're making a lid I did this with plywood and covered with black leatherette stuff. Looked fine, bolted down easily and finished the car off well. I did make a hinge flap to get in the boot and access the fuel filler etc.

nick205 - 29/1/16 at 12:03 PM

Here's a photo showing the lid I made...

ETA...I made my dashboard in the same way as well. Lots of plywood to hand during my build.

[Edited on 29/1/16 by nick205]

nick205 - 29/1/16 at 12:06 PM

ebay offers flat FG sheets here...

Fibreglass Flat Sheet Fibreglass Flat Sheet - Various Sizes & Colours

owelly - 29/1/16 at 01:01 PM

Scrapyard+Luton van+saw=Fibreglass.

big-vee-twin - 30/1/16 at 09:40 AM

Playskool do sheet of carbon look ABS which is what I used for my boot lid.

Benzine - 30/1/16 at 12:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by owelly

Last time i used that equation i ended up with 'gearbox' as my answer. Think i need to check my working

nick205 - 1/2/16 at 10:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
Originally posted by owelly

Last time i used that equation i ended up with 'gearbox' as my answer. Think i need to check my working

On the other hand, count yourself lucky to have access to such a scrapyard as there aren't many left these days.

Vmax1974 - 1/2/16 at 03:58 PM

What size do you need I may be able to help

Benzine - 1/2/16 at 04:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
On the other hand, count yourself lucky to have access to such a scrapyard as there aren't many left these days.

Yeah the one i use is awesome, just walk in the yard, nobody comes to give you a grilling about what you're after. No signing in, no high viz jackets, and cheeeeeeap i sometimes go just for a walk round even when i don't need anything