Board logo

Day rain / dust cover..
AlexXtreme - 15/5/19 at 04:30 PM

In short I am taking my car to the Silverstone classic show and was thinking of getting a shower proof cover over the cockpit (which would also cover any odd non-valuable bits and bobs I want to leave in my car from prying eyes.. but avoids going to the grief of not putting the softtop up or if the forecast is good I can leave the softtop at home and have some space in the boot!

I was thinking of something relatively low cost ;-) (as long as it does not scratch the paintwork) that clips on the wheels.

I could also use it when I think rain might come and I can not be bothered to put the soft top up.

I looked on ebay and some look pretty rubbish.

gremlin1234 - 15/5/19 at 05:40 PM

anything that loosely touches paintwork is likely to scratch, it will get some sand under it, and it will move

but what you have described is commonly known as a (full) tonneau cover

adithorp - 15/5/19 at 05:55 PM

I use one similar to this on my Fury...

http://www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk/acatalog/CoverConvertibleCarTopCover.html#aTC

Not cheap but mines 10 years old now and still ok despite a lot of use.

AlexXtreme - 15/5/19 at 06:53 PM

A tonneau cover generally is designed to be used when motoring I thought. I just need something when the car is stationary

gremlin1234 - 15/5/19 at 07:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AlexXtreme
A tonneau cover generally is designed to be used when motoring I thought. I just need something when the car is stationary

often used as a day cover too

David Jenkins - 15/5/19 at 07:18 PM

This is what I've used for quite a few years - LINKY. It is waterproof, but if it's still wet when you try to get it off the car you're likely to dump all the water inside the cockpit! Probably be OK with 2 people taking it off. There are loops for a bungee cord on each side if you're using the cover in windy conditions (or you want to deter nosy people by making it a little more difficult for then to sneak a look under the cover). Folds up quite small and fits into a small bag.

N.B. I could only find this advert after a very lazy search - there's a number to ring at the bottom anyway, so you don't have to deal through the Westfield owners' website.

AlexXtreme - 15/5/19 at 08:47 PM

thanks for the suggestions though these are a bit more than I wanted to spend... the tonneau would need to be custom made for my car.. a Ginetta G27.

Myke 2463 - 16/5/19 at 06:36 AM

Westfield world is not the Westfield Owners club... no need to join. Very happy with my Walker cover also has 2 tabs inline with the driver / passenger seats to allow a bungie to go from each side under the car in windy conditions.

snapper - 16/5/19 at 06:45 AM

Any double layer (the one with the soft underlayer) from eBay for a small car.
I use 3 adjustable load straps to hold it down in windy weather which stops the cover moving about.

Mr Whippy - 16/5/19 at 11:24 AM

big umbrella

AlexXtreme - 16/5/19 at 12:15 PM

not a bad idea :-)..
I am looking at ebay jobs and even the small 2 layer 1/2 covers would almost cover my complete car!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sumex-Waterproof-Breathable-Weather-Frost-Protection-Car-Half-Top-Cover-Small/282607211230?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&am p;_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649