Board logo

removing rear glass window from fiberglass.
bikecarbfred - 4/8/20 at 10:52 PM

removing rear glass window from fiberglass.
i want to replace glass the lexan
im afraid to crack the fiber glass body work trying to wedge glass out.

i used quite abit of glue to stick it on.

any advice would be much appreciated. thanks

nick205 - 5/8/20 at 09:29 AM

Do you remember the glue you used?

Many glues (or glue manufacturers) recomend a release agent (something that will dissolve the glue). Usually something they make and sell themselves.

More modern road car front and rear windscreens are glued in place. Having watched Autoglass remove a glued front windscreen they use a cheese wire type thing. Once you get it through the glue you slowly draw it around the screen to cut through the glue. I don't know what it is, but they must have something to then clean the old glue away from the car bodywork before they bond the replacement screen in.

As always, whatever you use test it on an unseen bit of fibreglass first to check it doesn't damage or discolour it!

bikecarbfred - 5/8/20 at 09:45 AM

ayside Adhesives Ltd
Masterbond 1hr has been specially developed for the replacement for automotive glass. Due to its fast drying compound Masterbond 1hr will provide a '1 hour' drive away time*.

i think i cut the rubber around the windscreen and let the screen pop out first, then slowly scrape/CUT away the glue at my leisure?

nick205 - 6/8/20 at 09:58 AM

Here's a YouTube video of a guy removing a windshield (USA) using fishing line to cut through the glue. Might help you.

[Edited on 6/8/20 by nick205]

jacko - 6/8/20 at 03:55 PM

You need A stanly knife / a Cheese wire two handles for the cheese wire two bits of brush Handel will do
And two people one inside the car and one outside Go steady and take your time pulling the wire one way then the other

Jacks