Board logo

+442 Scuttle and nose?
dl_peabody - 21/2/06 at 07:28 AM

+442 Scuttle and nose questions.....(American so bear with the American english)

A couple questions....

1. The height of an average scuttle/dash is 10 inches high center line and about 9 inches high before the curves on the dash side. Is the dash on your build levelish with the trunk area? or is your dash a little extra tall? I am concerned that if I build a book scuttle it will be both two narrow and too tall. Cosmetic issues at best, right? read on...

2. Has anyone else built the built the hood last to diminish the differences in scuttle and nose? My opinion is that it will throw of the "lines" of the car. I invission one continuios line from dash to nosecone.

3. Nosecone similar issue as the dash (horizontailly bisecting the nosecone subtracting two inches from the top half and adding them to the bottom half) While the idea is to keep the meassurements as close as possible, I forsee the diameter of the nose opening up as the center line is raised.

background
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=485
and....
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=513

Anyone with a +442 to help me out?

quote:

Locostmonkey asked a question in the forum that has not been answered...
Quote:
On a side note - Isn't a +442 designed to take the "book" size nose cone.

CAn anyone confirm or deny this?

I will post the question/questions on UK builders tonight or whenever their site is back up....currently they are having server issues.
Welcome back from your server issues....

I hope this makes sense I am just about to go to bed...

pbs - 21/2/06 at 08:23 AM

I have had two attempts at making the scuttle and nose cone. In both cases the car has had the engine in and I have been able to move the car outside.

The first looked ok until you got the car outside for a good all round look from a distance, it was then that you could see it wasn’t going to look all that great.

The nose cone was to wide and the sides of the scuttle slopped in too much it could also have been a lot lower.

For my second I made the scuttle first from steel. Then the back panel from alloy and the buck for the nose cone and bonnet from fibreglass and wood.

The dims are as follows:

Centre of scuttle height: 290 mm
Centre height, front of bonnet 230 mm
Nose cone opening 440mm wide x 280mm wide.

I also raised the height of the back panel so it was level with the scuttle.

The cone opening could have been smaller but due to the size or radiator Iam using I had to make it deeper. I also moved the nose cone forward to give a more flowing line from the front of the cone to the scuttle.

With the width of the car you really need a bonnet bulge to disguise the large wide bonnet. My bonnet bulge was made both for this reason and also to provide clearance for my carb and has been made taller then need be just to make it look better.

There are some pics in my archive to to give and idea how it looks.

ecosse - 21/2/06 at 09:26 AM

I am only at chassis stage so can't say whether my dimensions will help you, but:

Centre of scuttle height: 300 mm
Centre height, front of bonnet 250 mm

From what I can tell the 442 is designed to use a book nose, although I'm using a westfield nose, which is slightly wider than book (about 27 inches accross rear section), but fits well when cut (for length).
The problem with a book width nose is that top of the "L" sticks out a fair bit even with a wider nose (you can see this in PBS pics, and I have some on mine with the westy nose on)
The dash is a fair bit higher than the rear, although I will also be bringing that up in height to match the scuttle

Cheers
Alex