Board logo

Wing underside protection
RichB - 28/3/08 at 04:39 PM

Hi all

I am just about to fit my rear wings and was wondering if anyone has added any protective coating to the underside of their wings (front or rear)?

I have heard of stone chips causing starring etc. I figured now would be easier than when fitted.

Cheers
Rich

Mr Whippy - 28/3/08 at 04:41 PM

underseal is the usual stuff, works too

If you leave it a week or so, you can spray a coat of paint over it if you not happy with the black. Note spary can underseal takes about 4 times as long to go hard compaired to the brush on stuff.

[Edited on 28/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

indykid - 28/3/08 at 04:44 PM

brushable seam sealer.

stinks like bloody hell when you put it on, but ends up as a solid rubbery layer. not tacky like underseal.

tom

TOO BADD - 28/3/08 at 04:45 PM

SHUTZ ! let each coat dry before spraying another.

RichB - 28/3/08 at 04:56 PM

OK cheers

BenB - 28/3/08 at 04:57 PM

Yup. Seam sealer. Works well. As mentioned underseal stays tacky which is a PITA when you're changing the wheel etc...

Other option is stuff like thin self-adhesive foam or cheapo Woolworths rubber floor mats cut up and glued onto the GRP underside (obviously you have to be careful to ensure the glues are compatible with both the GRP resin and the rubber!).

mookaloid - 28/3/08 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
underseal is the usual stuff, works too

If you leave it a week or so, you can spray a coat of paint over it if you not happy with the black. Note spary can underseal takes about 4 times as long to go hard compaired to the brush on stuff.

[Edited on 28/3/08 by Mr Whippy]

Warning about underseal - it can bleed into the fibreglass and cause patchy blobs which can be seen through the gel coat.

A better product is I think Wunderseal from CBS which is light grey in colour and not oil based like underseal.

Cheers

Mark

wax-it - 28/3/08 at 04:59 PM

Dum Dum sealer from Frost.

britishtrident - 28/3/08 at 05:06 PM

Laminate on extra layer of woven glass fibre matt then underseal.

indykid - 28/3/08 at 06:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

A better product is I think Wunderseal from CBS which is light grey in colour and not oil based like underseal.

Cheers

Mark

the smell, texture and finished result of wunderseal is near identical to brushable seam sealer. it's just about twice the price. it was last time i was sealing up some welding i'd done i thought....hmmm, this smells an awful lot like wunderseal. comparing them side by side, they're pretty much identical

tom

snapper - 28/3/08 at 06:49 PM

CBS Wunderseal

pewe - 28/3/08 at 07:20 PM

B&Q Rustic doormats - about £1.95 each, cut to shape and Evostick to underside - as yet un-proven but should also reduce spray (if ever it's taken out in the wet!).
Cheers, Pewe

rusty nuts - 28/3/08 at 07:42 PM

Stonechip put on with a shutz gun . IIRC it's the same stuff as seamsealer but sprayable.

Mark Allanson - 28/3/08 at 10:00 PM

My usual gripe about the bodywork section - most product do what they say on the tin.

If you want to seal seams then use seam sealer

If you want to reduce panel drumming, then use sound pads or dumdum

If you want to protect from chips caused by stones....

robinbastd - 28/3/08 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
If you want to protect from chips caused by stones....

......take great care when selecting potatoes?

Triton - 28/3/08 at 11:08 PM

Use that wonderfull stuff from terminal 5 at heathrow that makes no noise......