Board logo

lightening rear arches
RK - 4/7/08 at 04:49 PM

My rear arches were actually made for larger wheels than I have. The guy then added some flanges on the side (well done though) so the contour is like my 13" wheels. Unfortunately, they are really heavy. What can I do, if anything, to lighten them up?

My other option is to order some lighter ones from the UK, widen them myself (as I need at least 12" and ditch these. This is the expensive option, but I'll do it if necessary!
Thanks again, as always.

Volvorsport - 4/7/08 at 04:57 PM

mould them , remake in lightweight materials , sell un to others !

clairetoo - 4/7/08 at 09:27 PM

As above - just make molds off the ones you have (and then you have a source for replacements if you stuff it )

RK - 4/7/08 at 09:51 PM

Thanks but I'm off fibreglass. It makes me sick.

clairetoo - 5/7/08 at 06:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
Thanks but I'm off fibreglass. It makes me sick.

This may be a dumb question - but if you are `off fibreglass` how are you going to widen the new one's ?
Do you know anyone who could handle the molding for you ?

RK - 6/7/08 at 02:24 AM

Taking moulds etc is way beyond me. I'm good at cutting ally and that's about it. I have tried fibreglassing as well as powdercoating, with NO success. Too messy!

I could widen arches by buying fender flares that trucks use.

Next question: I know nobody within 200 km's who has even heard of my type of car, so no. I know they must exist in a city of 1 million, but I don't know them. That's why I'm on here all the time!

wax-it - 9/7/08 at 04:38 PM

You dont need a company who knows your type of car, you need a company who knows what they are doing!

Whilst I agree that making a mould, laying up etc can be messy, if your careful and have the room you should be able to make a mould with the minimum of mess.

I find its the smell that is the worst, really upsets neighbours.