Board logo

Newbie question - Hayabusa
Adam - 11/5/14 at 08:31 PM

Hi all.

I'm looking into the MNR for my next project and just putting a couple of cost plans together. I fancy trying out the hayabusa route as been down the r1 route in the past with a mkindy. My question is do I need to dry sump the engine as this adds quite a lot to the figures. Guess I'd be looking at an additional 1200 quid.

Any advice or info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Adam

daniel mason - 11/5/14 at 08:40 PM

in a word,if pushing hard on track,yes! some may say otherwise and many have run them without issue but id run the sbd d/s system and sit the engine down as low as possible in the chassis.

Adam - 11/5/14 at 08:54 PM

Thanks for the reply . I won't be on the track if I'm honest so mainly road use.

Cheers
Adam

big_l - 11/5/14 at 11:06 PM

There expensive engines to replace and my opinion when I built mine was that it's better safe than sorry £1200 well spent !

jwhatley - 12/5/14 at 01:08 PM

Spend your money where it is needed, dry sumping is the way forwards on a busa if you want to go on track.

You may get away with a swinging pickup for just road use, but you will risk starving the engine of oil on track. Yellowcab's thread shows you what happens when you don't dry sump.

I see a lot of builds where people don't spend the money where its needed, i know its meant to be low-cost... but it will catch you up in the end!

[Edited on 12/5/14 by jwhatley]

sucksqueezebangblow - 28/5/14 at 10:18 AM

Likewise, given the price of Busa engines it is worth protecting your investment. I dry-sumped mine but some fit an accusump for added protection if they go down the baffled sump route. Swing pickups are excellent but there is a small risk they will jam and in that situation an extra burst of oil from an accusump may get you 'round the corner without oil starvation.