Board logo

MAC#1 Type 9R
carpy - 7/2/08 at 12:49 PM

Hi. First post on here! I've just returned from a 24 road trip in a hired Caterham, and absolutely loved it. I'm now decided that I have to buy one of these Lotus 7 inspired cars.......

I've looked at the various manufacturers and models available, and I keep coming back to the MAC#1 Type 9R as it looks really really good and is held in high regard as a excellent alternative to a Caterham, without the extra £££ premium.

So really I just wanted to find out a little more about these cars! I'll try and put my questions in some kind of order so they don't get lost in my ramblings.

1) The Caterham I hired had a 140bhp K series engine, and I felt it was a little underpowered at times. What kind of engine / power options are available for the MAC#1 car?

As I understand it, the type 9R is only for bike engines but having never driven one of these I don't really know how these compare power wise to a 140bhp Rover K series engine.

2) I love the idea of a BEC, and understand they are louder than a CEC, but apart from that are there any other things to look out for? Servicing costs / petrol costs / reliability?

3) I've not seen one of these cars with a proper front windscreen. Is this easy to sort out?

4) What's the wet weather gear like for these cars? The Caterham I felt was badly designed and was a bit fiddly getting the roof on and off, and getting it to stay on at speed!

5) Heater! I was saved on the 24hr drive by using the heater to keep me warmish! No way could I have ventured out for any length of time without this. I read on these forums that a heater isn't available for the MAC#1 cars. Is this true?

5) Is there any chance you could post some pictures of your cars. I've trawled the forum and found pictures of 2 cars, but really would like to see these cars in more detail / inside / with weather gear etc.

6) Anyone on here thinking of selling lol!

Thanks for listening & hopefully all being well I should be driving around in a MAC#1 car this summer. Can't wait!

DarrenW - 7/2/08 at 01:10 PM

Welcome to the fold. Good choice.

Ill try and briefly answer.

1. Basically any engine that will fit the engine bay. Pintos, 16V zetecs and BECs seem to be the common choices. Pinto's fit so the choice is very wide indeed. Ill guess the K was 140 at flywheel (on a good day). Probs 110 or so at back wheels. Weight is a factor into how this feels speed wise. Also if you were running full screen and weather gear you probs had a bit of drag.

2. Cost wise it is argued that BECS are more initially but once built not much in it. A CEC can be a lot too if you pick high specced engine. BECS dont have to be louder - BigRich will be along soon.
BEC vs CEC - horses for courses really. No right and wrong answer here - its a personal choice.

3. Windscreen would be no problem but once youve driven without you wont bother. Car is faster with aeroscreen.

4. All se7en wet weather gear is fiddly. For most cars you see on this site you would have to get screen fitted and commission a company like soft bits for 7's to make it for you. Or keep waterproof clothing behind seat and wear helmet.

5. Heater - give ower!!!!! not needed. Adds weight. Just dress for the occasion. Ive been out approaching zero and if you are suitable attired its not too bad ()

5. Have you looked at M1MOC website. some pics in there. Alternatively take a look in the photo archives. Ive had a ost about seat pads with some interior pics of mine trimmed out.

6. Yeah me (ZR), but im struggling to come to terms with the idea at the mo. You wont see them for sale very often. Normally people reside to the fact that if they want one its build time or order factory built.

[Edited on 7/2/08 by DarrenW]

fesycresy - 7/2/08 at 01:18 PM

Here's one:

Welcome to the forum.

fesycresy - 7/2/08 at 01:29 PM

Here's the best part - no boat anchor for me

ewan - 7/2/08 at 01:43 PM

I am building a Mac 1 9R, with a Fireblade 954, having never done anything like it before it's not as bad as i thought.

You will get the best of service from the boys and they are always on the other end of the phone for advice.

Go for it, you won't regret it, I don't.

ash_hammond - 7/2/08 at 01:58 PM

Hi Carpy

I have just recently put my MAC#1 ZR on the road and have not looked back since, Also it wont be long before there is a 9R Worx in the toy box.

Best thing to do is get your self along to the factory and speak to Mark and Col - top blokes top service.

- abt ash

mac1ZR - 7/2/08 at 02:53 PM

hi, we're building our 3rd mac #1..... best thing to do is go and see mac#1 like others have said, you won't regret it!! Rescued attachment CAR1.jpg
Rescued attachment CAR1.jpg

mac1ZR - 7/2/08 at 02:54 PM

pic Rescued attachment car2.jpg
Rescued attachment car2.jpg

mac1ZR - 7/2/08 at 02:54 PM

pic Rescued attachment car3.jpg
Rescued attachment car3.jpg

mac1ZR - 7/2/08 at 02:57 PM

p.s you would love a bike engine

COREdevelopments - 7/2/08 at 03:03 PM

fessycresy and mac1zr, they are stunning cars you got, when thinking of kitcar companies i often forget about mac1! dont know why as they are really good looking cars

Rob

mac1ZR - 7/2/08 at 03:05 PM

thanks, hoping to have the next one looking as good, but it may be a little bit faster

Shilvers - 7/2/08 at 05:51 PM

Another vote for the BEC, you won't regret it!

tjoh84 - 7/2/08 at 05:55 PM

have a chat with zxrlocost he can build you a turn key car tell him what you want

COREdevelopments - 7/2/08 at 06:34 PM

stop talking about BEC as i really want one know and i aint even finished my CEC!!!!!!!!!!!

r1 locost - 7/2/08 at 06:53 PM

just a little run!!!

carpy - 7/2/08 at 09:12 PM

Many thanks for all the quick replies & the warm welcome!

I'll just answer a few of the points raised in answers to my original questions.

1) Yup I think the Caterham was 140bhp at the flywheel. Didn't have the roof on but car does have windscreen fitted. What sort of bike engine would I need to be quicker than the Caterham?

3) The car is going to be used for family trips occasionally, so I can't really put a crash helmet on my 4 year old! I think a windscreen is definitely required just to protect her against stones etc being thrown up.

4) So there's no wet weather gear available off the shelf for the Mac#1 cars?

5) Heater definitely required! No way in hell would I get anything like as much use of the car without a heater in it. We got soaked in the Caterham, but just pulled over, roof on, heater on and we were right as rain in about 5 minutes. It's nice and snug in there with the roof on & heater going......bit like camping really!

6) Any idea how much a factory built car starts from? There's nothing on their website and I'm waiting for a reply via email.

Thanks everyone for the pictures. These cars look so damn good don't they!

Shilvers - The black one looks amazing. Bit like a B2 stealth bomber on wheels.

fesycresy - Car looks really good. Good to hear you are thinking of selling. Let me know a bit more about it & how much you are looking for.

Lastly, someone mentioned to me that these Mac#1 cars aren't actually made by Mac#1, but are made by MK cars and the same car as the MK Indy? If this is true, what the difference or rather what do Mac#1 add / take away from the car to make it different?

quote:
Originally posted by tjoh84
have a chat with zxrlocost he can build you a turn key car tell him what you want

Ah right. Does he work for Mac#1 or does he run his own company building these cars?

Many thanks for all the replies so far.

bigrich - 7/2/08 at 10:09 PM

Mac#1 started out building locosts on Marks patio at home but people kept buying them as soon as they were built they then started building MK kits for various owners and then progressed onto there own cars which are built in house by Mark and Colin with various fibreglass and carbon parts from other suppliers as per most other manufacturers

Weather gear has'nt been an option but they have fitted it to one of their customers cars so it could be retro fitted if thats really what you require same goes fo a screen and heater it can be done its just most owners have these cars as dry weather toys so wet weather protection isnt high on most owners lists.

Bike engines will give you the most performance for your money and any bike motor will outrun a standard k series C----ham apart from in a reversing contest.

I have 2 Mac#1 builds under my belt and when number 3 calls it will be another mac#1, dont really need to say anymore about the level of service and help they give

PS welcome aboard locost builders

Rich

[Edited on 7/2/08 by bigrich]

carpy - 7/2/08 at 10:22 PM

Wow Rich that car is just pure sex. Loving the go faster stripes down the middle. Pictures like that just make me want one even more! That colour looks like Nogaro Blue which is the colour I always wanted for my Audi S4!

bigrich - 7/2/08 at 10:33 PM

this is my latest build and at the moment is the only worx rr built
i uses the awesome zx10r engine and has an internal exhaust system with twin rear exit silencers

neilj37 - 8/2/08 at 07:55 AM

Twin internal exhaust...mmmm that sounds interesting. Any more details?

DarrenW - 8/2/08 at 09:31 AM

To answer your quetions;

1. Any BEC over 250cc Seriously the BEC's are generally very light so any 1000cc engine will anialate the Caterham. If i was a faster driver id probs beat it in my Pinto.

3 / 4. Fair point ref screen. There is one guy on this site that can supply the screen and getting wet weather gear wont really be a problem either. You will probs get bespoke gear made cheaper that Caterham would supply it off the shelf. Apart from Caterham and Westfield i cant think of many more that have it available off the shelf (maybe Dax).

5. Heater. Your choice. Im sure it can be done no probs. There are various solutions which include plumbing in a heater matrix from the hot water pipes or fitting ceramic blow heaters.

6. Its hard to suggest a price for factory built car cos everyone is different. Id strongly recommend giving Mark or Colin a call rather than email. They havent been posting on here much lately so guess they are extremely busy.

As Rich has already said the guys behind Mac#1 did start out building MK kits for people. Similar to what several other people have done (ie start out building turn key cars for people using readily available kits). Now they make their own cars. They are not MK's. If anyone was to argue they are similar to MK's - well yeah i suppose they are in the same way that they are similar to Westfields, lotus 7's, etc etc - there are only so many ways you can make cars that look the same. Let Mark explain how the cars differ.

Best advice i can give is go to the factory. MK are only 25mins away too. i visitted both and there's no prizes for guessing what i chose. Plan it in advance and you might get a ride out in a car (Rich never needs much of an excuse to be at the factory , but do take some spare keks if he is going to take you out)

Oh and to finish off - BEC's are good, but for the life of me i dont know why the owners need to shout so much about them - unless its cos theyve all gone deaf!! There is no denying that it takes one hell of a CEC to give an even average BEC a run for its money but out and out speed isnt the only consideration. If you are thinking of family trips away and long leisurely blats then, from what ive been told, BEC's can be a little tiring. If however you want a weekend trackday warrior then a BEC makes a whole load of sense. Ive driven Rich's car, love it to bits, awesome, superb finish, everything about it is fantastic but it didnt quite sway me to a BEC. But then ive never had a bike and do wonder about long term reliability of a an engine designed to move something that is far lighter and only 2 wheels.

bigrich - 8/2/08 at 09:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by neilj37

it came about in one of those "why does a 7 have to have an external exhaust" chats that builders have

The zx10r has a very high output shaft so lifting the line of the prop which in turn makes a nice exhaust sized hole in the tunnel, plus i wanted a quiet BEC haveing had the full on noisy model.
So we installed a pair of titanium bike cans in the rear and made it all route around the diff and into the tunnel

the exhaust is a mix of stainless and titanium all made,bent in house by Col
I wanted the car to be as driveable as the bike so also uses a proper airbox with cold air feed in the front grille which should also add a little ram air as per the bike
its very easy to have a chat at 80mph without the drone of a race exhaust by your left ear and it is very tractable pulling from 25 mph in 6th gear without any protest
Also as a bonus it should open up more trackday venues which are normally a struggle for BEC's
it was 92Db on SVA at 8000 rpm

Rich

liamb - 8/2/08 at 10:03 AM

Hi,

I started to build a MAC#1 Worx in Nov and things are progressing well.

I looked at a great number of cars and manufacturers before parting with money and was set on a CEC with a screen right up to the day I placed the order.

A lot of people express strong opinions here but I think the best thing is to work out what you want and then go for it.

BEC vs CEC is not something you can decide based on opinion here as both are great, both have good and bad points and everyone thinks they made the right decision. I went for BEC as I was looking for a toy and BEC was cheaper, offered more power and looked easier to build. But that was just me.

If you want a heater and wet weather gear, you can have them, after all, you will build the car (or get someone to build it for you). Car Builder Solutions, Europa etc all offer heater solutions and a customer made hood kit is likely to fit better anyway.

Finally, if you fancy having a bash at building, I would seriously consider it. I have never done anything like this before and used to take my regular car to the dealer to fill the screen wash! But I have enjoyed every minute so far and there really has not been any points that have made me worry so far. The backup from MAC#1 is truly amazing as is the support from the other owners and this forum.

More than anything else, I think the support from the factory is key in making a decision. The MAC#1 guys have been there for me when I need them and I think the feedback from others reflects this. I also found the guys at MK to be really helpful and I understand MNR are also a great bunch so whatever way you go, I am sure you will be happy.

If you want to see what I have been up to then I have some pictures at http://charliedog360.spaces.live.com/

Best of luck with the decision.
Liam

PS - I took a similar route and purchased a built car first (a pilgrim sumo in my case) but once the initial frill had warn off, I was desperate to build my own car exactly as I wanted it so the sumo had to go!

neilj37 - 8/2/08 at 12:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
quote:

it came about in one of those "why does a 7 have to have an external exhaust" chats that builders have

The zx10r has a very high output shaft so lifting the line of the prop which in turn makes a nice exhaust sized hole in the tunnel, plus i wanted a quiet BEC haveing had the full on noisy model.
So we installed a pair of titanium bike cans in the rear and made it all route around the diff and into the tunnel

I wanted the car to be as driveable as the bike so also uses a proper airbox with cold air feed in the front grille which should also add a little ram air as per the bike
its very easy to have a chat at 80mph without the drone of a race exhaust by your left ear and it is very tractable pulling from 25 mph in 6th gear without any protest
Also as a bonus it should open up more trackday venues which are normally a struggle for BEC's

Rich

I assume the that exhaust pipes are covered in loads of wrap to stop the heat from melting the tunnel cover etc.

mac1 - 8/2/08 at 05:08 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bigrich
quote:

Rich

I assume the that exhaust pipes are covered in loads of wrap to stop the heat from melting the tunnel cover etc.

No

chunkytfg - 8/2/08 at 06:03 PM

I'd have thought with the air rushing under the car it will probably dissipate heat quite well and stop the tunnel overheating?

neilj37 - 8/2/08 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chunkytfg
I'd have thought with the air rushing under the car it will probably dissipate heat quite well and stop the tunnel overheating?

I was just comparing it too the heat my external exhaust gives off after a blast. It is that hot I can't touch it. I would have thought that an uninsulated exhaust would giv off quite a lot of heat.

jos - 8/2/08 at 09:40 PM

that means youve got the heater down the tunnel

no need for another heater

bigrich - 8/2/08 at 11:09 PM

there is'nt any heat issues at all in the tunnel or fuel tank areas and the only wrapping is in the engine bay to reduce under bonnet temperatures
as said the airflow does a great job of extracting heat from the tunnel area plus i use 2 seperate floors not 1 large sheet so the bottom isnt covered in

Rich

carpy - 9/2/08 at 06:54 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I've sent a message to zxrlocost asking about building a turnkey Mac#1 (or maybe MK) so will see what he comes back with.

I think I really need to get out in some different cars to see what a BEC is like, and also see what a more powerful CEC is like (more powerful than the 140bhp caterham).

Got a trip to one of the factories lined up, so will see how it goes.

Oh and lastly, what is a "Worx" MAC#1? I can't see this anywhere on their website. I assume it's some kind of super light version or similar?

EDIT : Actually I think they are having some kind of meltdown on the website. There's stuff missing all over the place & more incomplete pages than complete ones! It's a real mish mash but I guess they are too busy building cars to notice!

[Edited on 9/2/08 by carpy]

[Edited on 9/2/08 by carpy]

m1moc - 9/2/08 at 07:18 PM

Whoops sorry about that.

Both the factory website & OC website have been redesigned recently and we're still ironing out some of the gremlins.

Please dont let the websites put you off visiting the factory though

bigrich - 9/2/08 at 07:48 PM

The Worx is a lighter version of the standard 9r
it has a lighter chassis and bodywork and various other revisions and is 50 to 60 kilos lighter than a standard 9r

As you say the web site is still being evolved so has various missing links etc,

Mac#1 also offer a turnkey service if this best suits your needs, though IMHO the build is very very enjoyable with a great sense of achievment when you can say I built that

Rich

carpy - 9/2/08 at 08:44 PM

Yes I figured the website was a work in progress! Couldn't find any information about costs of turnkey cars, or the Worx car, or anything about the company! It won't put me off visiting though....

I'd dearly love to build one, but at the moment I don't have a garage (one being built in the next few months) but even still I just wouldn't get the time to build a car myself.

Im a single dad (4 year old girl!) and run my own business. Time is just something I don't have at the moment.

Am now in contact with Chris from the BEC so will see what he has for sale & will discuss getting him to build a new car also.

Thanks