Board logo

Megasquirt V3 - Gutted
MakeEverything - 28/10/10 at 05:31 PM

I got in my car at 10:00 today all excited at the prospect of getting the car running tonight.

I drove for 6 hours on a 300 mile round trip to collect my "New" megasquirt V3 from M-Tech. Nice guys, even made me a coffee.

The V3 they were selling me wasnt screwed together in the box, was used, and PLUS VAT! adding another £50 to the order.

So i bite the bullet as Matt said it was all tested and working fine, but when i asked him for a wiring diagram, he scribbled some notes on the back of my invoice.

I get home, still excited and looking forward to programming it. Set the constants, and change the wiring loom etc......

I now have a crank signal, but its not firing. I checked the HT Leads, settings and wiring and all is as i was instructed.

Then the magic smoke appears again.

I quickly unplug it all, and it seems that the high current ignition driver has overheated, but isnt damaged fortunately.

Then i look on Megamanual, and the wiring is different. It was just gone 6 when i tried "Matt's" mobile and it goes to voicemail.

He knows the urgency of getting this set up this week as i took the time to explain that the car is needed at a show at Alexandra Palace, on a charity stand.

So, can anyone here help me with a wiring diagram for the coil connections for a V3 board please?

I was told;

Pin 36 feeds Coil 1&4
Pin 4 feeds Coil 2&3
The PIP signal to the VR sensor instead of EDIS

Thats all i was told, but looking HERE the grounds are different and pin 4 isnt even mentioned.

All in all, a poo day other than seeing stone henge twice.

Rod Ends - 28/10/10 at 05:40 PM

The name rang a bell!

www.msextra.com/doc/clones/index.html

quote:
Worst of the bunch though, has to be UK based M-tech Automotive.
They started out selling badly assembled Megasquirt kits.
Their very poor quality was a concern to brand image of Megasquirt so their supply chain was stopped.
However, they continued and are now using counterfeit circuit boards they have made - see below.

Ben_Copeland - 28/10/10 at 05:45 PM

Oh brilliant.... got my MS2 off ebay turned out to be a MTech board inside. Didnt think anything of it till now

MakeEverything - 28/10/10 at 05:59 PM

They are now making their own "V4" ECU.

When you speak to them on the phone, you get quite a good image of who it is your dealing with, but their workshop had 7 or 8 different unfinished "Customers" cars just sitting there. He even had a part build MEV sitting there with no cover on it.

A bit disappointed to be honest.

omega0684 - 28/10/10 at 06:23 PM

you have just confirmed fumours that i have been hearing about M Tech, looks like Troy at Northampton will be getting my money then!

clairetoo - 28/10/10 at 06:47 PM

I once dealt with Mtech..........an experience that was closely followed by my joining forums just to post threads on what a bunch of rip-off cowboys they were
Ask on just about any forum , and you will be told in no uncertain terms - they are not to be trusted in any way whatsoever , and to be avoided at all costs .
I know this is not what you want to read right now - sorry - but thats just how it is

perksy - 28/10/10 at 07:24 PM

Sorry to hear of your problem/s

Linked this to the WSCC boardroom
Just in case anybody was about to purchase a Megasquirt ecu

MikeR - 28/10/10 at 07:33 PM

Refund???

If you do go that route - you may want to try contacting trigger wheels. They do the microsquirt's for 300 quid. I believe they have stock - but please contact them as i got that impression from the web site.

interestedparty - 28/10/10 at 07:36 PM

I think they have a tie-in of some kind with RoadTrackRace, the people who do some of the MEV stuff

clairetoo - 28/10/10 at 08:06 PM

Refund ? ?
From Mtech ? ?

After something like four months of waiting , endless emails and promises of `free' upgrades , as well as countless missed delivery dates , I canceled my order and asked for a refund.............then demanded a refund.........then threatened court action to get a refund...........
And just after all that............the ECU I had ordered turned up - after I had got one somewhere else

I think the only way to get a refund out of those cowboys is to turn up with an angry mob armed with pick-axe handles.......unless you had the good fortune to pay by credit card ?

MakeEverything - 28/10/10 at 08:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Refund ? ?
From Mtech ? ?

After something like four months of waiting , endless emails and promises of `free' upgrades , as well as countless missed delivery dates , I canceled my order and asked for a refund.............then demanded a refund.........then threatened court action to get a refund...........
And just after all that............the ECU I had ordered turned up - after I had got one somewhere else

I think the only way to get a refund out of those cowboys is to turn up with an angry mob armed with pick-axe handles.......unless you had the good fortune to pay by credit card ?

Debit card im afraid to say.

[Edited on 29-10-10 by MakeEverything]

ashg - 28/10/10 at 08:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Oh brilliant.... got my MS2 off ebay turned out to be a MTech board inside. Didnt think anything of it till now

ben i did say your board didn't look like an official one when you brought it up to me. also explains why the ignition circuit was a bit weird. like i said it should work.

richard give extra efi a call go for a 3.57 board and just swap your chip over should get you up and running pretty quickly

perksy - 28/10/10 at 08:29 PM

Any use ? (bit down the page)

Sorry if it ain't

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=334589&start=200

ashg - 28/10/10 at 08:49 PM

i wouldnt trust that. the second coil output is an additional circuit that has to be added and can be wired to any of several pins on the db37.

what high current driver is installed? if its vb921 it may struggle running a ford wasted coil pack. to sort it you can install bosch bip373's or just use the edis to do the ignition.

also measure the resistance on your injectors if they are 12ohm or above then you can run them directly. if they are around 2ohm you need to enable pulse width modulation.

omega 24 v6 - 28/10/10 at 08:51 PM

Sorry to hear your grief mate. heard a lot od bad sh*t about mtech as well but never dealt with them.
A good place to look for info is here

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm

But IIRC you'll need to know if you have MS1 or MS11 and also there may be edis specific on board electronics to be done. (If so has it been done???)

perksy - 28/10/10 at 09:37 PM

Wiring Diagram and Pin-outs

Thanks to Adam on WSCC

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=3;t=85417;&#top

[Edited on 28/10/10 by perksy]

will121 - 28/10/10 at 10:00 PM

hell of a lot of info and links on extraEFI website inc video links, ive not brought one from him but got good feedback when i was considdering MS and think others have too.

MakeEverything - 28/10/10 at 10:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
Sorry to hear your grief mate. heard a lot od bad sh*t about mtech as well but never dealt with them.
A good place to look for info is here

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm

But IIRC you'll need to know if you have MS1 or MS11 and also there may be edis specific on board electronics to be done. (If so has it been done???)

I think its an MS1 V3, built with high current drivers, for direct fire of the coil pack. Trouble is, i need to know which pin out to drive the two coils from!

MakeEverything - 28/10/10 at 10:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Wiring Diagram and Pin-outs

Thanks to Adam on WSCC

http://boardroom.wscc.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=3;t=85417;&#top

[Edited on 28/10/10 by perksy]

Thanks Perksy, bit it doesnt list pinouts for the ignition coil? Also, Pin 24 says IGN but is the VR sensor.

flak monkey - 29/10/10 at 05:01 AM

The issue is this:

Unless you get a definative pinouts list from the supplier, or get someone who knows MS to pull the ECU apart, no one will be able to tell you the pin outs!

There are accepted conventions for ignition drivers, but they still vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

This is one of the issues with megasquirt - all the units from different companies are different in some way.

Coil drivers usually burn out because the dwell is set too high (should be 6ms on crank and 3ms on running).

David

daxtojeiro - 29/10/10 at 06:00 AM

Hi all,
not being funny here, but WHY ohh WHY did you lot buy from MTech?? There are warning all over the MS forums, manuals and internet about MTechs fake MSs, they have been banned from buying MSs for years now due to very very poorly built MSs and shocking backup. I get one or 2 emails a week from people who have bought from them and who effectively now have an expensive door stop. We can't touch there ECUs as they are NOT made by us (megasquirt) they are a fake and therefore poor quality. Basically its fraud!

Whoever you buy from, ensure they are on the recommended suppliers list, that way you get a warantee, etc, and you can be assured that they are going to back you up, see the second question on my FAQs here: http://www.extraefi.co.uk/faq.htm

Richard, I spoke to you on the phone for a long time going over everything about your old MS trying to get you going. (I think it was you) I still dont think your old MS was faulty, if it was there is very little wrong with it as it kicked into life. But it was an old V2.2, which is old hat now.

Anyhow, lets hope theres some lessons learnt at least,
hope you get your money back,
Phil

[Edited on 29/10/10 by daxtojeiro]

MakeEverything - 29/10/10 at 08:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by daxtojeiro
Hi all,
not being funny here, but WHY ohh WHY did you lot buy from MTech?? There are warning all over the MS forums, manuals and internet about MTechs fake MSs, they have been banned from buying MSs for years now due to very very poorly built MSs and shocking backup. I get one or 2 emails a week from people who have bought from them and who effectively now have an expensive door stop. We can't touch there ECUs as they are NOT made by us (megasquirt) they are a fake and therefore poor quality. Basically its fraud!

Whoever you buy from, ensure they are on the recommended suppliers list, that way you get a warantee, etc, and you can be assured that they are going to back you up, see the second question on my FAQs here: http://www.extraefi.co.uk/faq.htm

Richard, I spoke to you on the phone for a long time going over everything about your old MS trying to get you going. (I think it was you) I still dont think your old MS was faulty, if it was there is very little wrong with it as it kicked into life. But it was an old V2.2, which is old hat now.

Anyhow, lets hope theres some lessons learnt at least,
hope you get your money back,
Phil

Phil,

I didnt see ANY warnings in the manual about MTECH at all, and i dont visit the MS forums. It was only the post above that made me aware of it.

The unit i have is a Bowling and Grippo V3 board in a different case.

We did speak on the phone which i appreciate, but you were adamant that the problem was with my VR sensor, which i was 98% Confident that it was not. The V3 has proved this to be correct. As you say, the 2.2 is old hat, and i needed a replacement to get the car running this weekend, to get it ready for a charity event in February. Now it doesnt look like that is going to happen.

I went to MTECH (Physically) because they talked a good game and i wasnt aware of the issues raised in this thread. Also because they had one on the shelf to accommodate my urgency.

daxtojeiro - 29/10/10 at 09:28 AM

quote:

The unit i have is a Bowling and Grippo V3 board in a different case.

Hi Richard,
you had no spark at the plugs (which the MS doesn't control on EDIS) and no signal from the EDIS, so the diagnosis on the phone we came to was an EDIS module issue or the crank sensor alignment. Its very hard when the ECU isnt one of mine and neither is the loom, but to be honest, I couldnt see it being the ECU with the above faults, although it could be the ECU as well

Anyhow, Im afraid you dont have a genuine B+G board if its from MTech, they were banned from buying them years ago, so they fraudulantly made their own. Have a look here for more info on spotting fake boards:
http://www.megamanual.com/MSFAQ.htm#cft

This should mean you can insist on gettting a refund if you bought it as a MegaSquirt ECU.

Sorry I couldnt supply you with a genuine MS in time, I have a 2 week lead time due to demand Im afraid.
Hope you get this sorted,
cheers
Phil

beaver34 - 29/10/10 at 10:21 AM

how much does a setup like this cost? is it worth all the hassle or are you better using a system like omex that has a great customer service and backup

interestedparty - 29/10/10 at 10:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
how much does a setup like this cost? is it worth all the hassle or are you better using a system like omex that has a great customer service and backup

The MS stuff is a good bit cheaper, but I think some of the value is in the challenge. Wouldn't fancy it myself, but I can see why other people would relish it.

daxtojeiro - 29/10/10 at 12:23 PM

quote:

Hi,
to be honest I think MS has as good, if not better, backup than any other ECU out there. The problem is that MS can be made by anyone with a soldering iron and then sold on ebay or where ever. Unless you actually buy from a recommended seller then you can buy something thats simply never going to work.
People will always try to make money out of something, so they see an opportunity to solder some bits onto a board and pop it on EBay, make a bit of cash. The poor guy who buys it, then finds out its been built by a 5year old, most of the solder joints are bad and its not configured to run the car he has, or it doesn't have enough bits in it to work. This happens time and time again, and how ever much I try to tell people, there will always be buyers who didnt know or who felt that they were doing the right thing, just like Richard.

The issues Richard had originally where from an ECU he was given, then he bought an ECU from the wrong guy. If he'd have bought from someone off the recommended list in the first place (not having a go here), or indeed from someone who they were recommended then we wouldn't be talking about it as it would have been all running now. Search the internet for your supplier and see what people are saying about them on forums, thats the best option in my opinion.

Cost for an MS1 EDIS ECU is £295, an MS2 is £345 they both including a loom, manual, software, comms leads, etc, so they are much cheaper than other aftermarket ECUs and not exactly expensive for something thats built and ready to go with a warantee.

Richard, how much the MTech one just cost you? Last time I looked at their prices I was shocked!

Phil

beaver34 - 29/10/10 at 12:56 PM

why are they not used as widley as the other brands and setups?

clairetoo - 29/10/10 at 03:19 PM

quote:

Largly because of the reputation threads like this , and venders like Mtech , give to a perfectly good product .
If you want a plug'n'play setup that you can pay some one to map for you , and have no real interest in how it all works - megasquirt is not for you .
But - if , like me you want to know how things work and want the satisfaction of doing as much as possible yourself , as well as having no money , then megasquirt is a great product - more versatile and user-configurable than ECU's costing 10 time's the price , and with a huge following
Mine has had one minor fault in three years of use (a poorly soldered jumper wire , but then it was originally built by Mtech )

beaver34 - 29/10/10 at 04:24 PM

quote:
quote:

Largly because of the reputation threads like this , and venders like Mtech , give to a perfectly good product .
If you want a plug'n'play setup that you can pay some one to map for you , and have no real interest in how it all works - megasquirt is not for you .
But - if , like me you want to know how things work and want the satisfaction of doing as much as possible yourself , as well as having no money , then megasquirt is a great product - more versatile and user-configurable than ECU's costing 10 time's the price , and with a huge following
Mine has had one minor fault in three years of use (a poorly soldered jumper wire , but then it was originally built by Mtech )

fair enough, i all had the down for being tagged with being crap and know one wanting to map them from what you here on the internet, i run omex and have for the last 2 cars been perfect and backup from the guys is great which is half the battle and the place i use to map my cars are happy to use that

daxtojeiro - 29/10/10 at 04:41 PM

quote:

I have no idea how widley other ECUs are used, but since James and I started writting the MS-Extra code a few years ago, several thousand MS ECUs have been sold, so they arent what Id call unpopular

Theres no big difference between most of the after market ECUs as far as wiring them up. We do PnP ECUs which are easy to install, wired ECUs, etc, etc. You dont need to know whats going on inside, just like you dont need to know inside an Omex, or what have you, but if you want to know, then we supply all the info you could ever want to read.

The issue for MS is that anyone can build one if they want to, so theres no quality standard or build standard amoungst those people. You can only really rely on a few people to sell you what you want and something thats going to work. With other ECUs, if you buy it from any store/outlet then it will be the same as one from another store/outlet.
This is why I wrote the MS manuals, to try to get some common ground amoungst builders, but theres only so much I can do for them. Personally I always recommend buying them built from a recommended outlet that way you can be assured that you will get help and backup as well as an ECU that works.

Even tuners are now happy to set them up, I have several customers who run rolling roads as well as companies like V8Developments, who use my MSs all the while now. The latest tuning software is utterly superb, with auto tuning functions, etc.
Anyhow, lets hope Richard gets running soon,
cheers
Phil

MakeEverything - 29/10/10 at 06:07 PM

OK, i just need to clarify some things here;

I love the prospect of having an ECU that is all open protocol, and fully adaptable to my requirements.
Megasquirt is Massively diverse, and "the opportunities are endless".

The donwside of it is as Phil says, there are lots out there being thrown together, and even the used items have been build to suit their original installation, not necessarily the 2nd installation.

I am very interested in how every aspect of my car works, including the ECU however, because of its diversity and the num ber of different combinations of software / hardware, the instructions are very confusing and somewhat overwhelming.

The MTech unit cost me £300 PLUS VAT, and the MS1 was £100 but with an additional £80 for the daughter board.

All in all, i could have put my £500 towards a factory unit, but then im not telepathic. We all make mistakes during our build, it just so happens that mine means that i wont meet my project timeline.

In fairness to MTECH, they are working to resolve the issues i have under warranty, and have assured me that my wiring and their instructions are correct. When the ECU goes away, i'll be rewiring the car again just to be sure. The ECU was sold with a lifetime warranty, fortunately.

All in all, i should summarise my points;

Megasquirt is great, as long as it is built to meet your application requirements

Always use a reputable dealer, and buy with a warranty.

Dont rely on the efficiencies of suppliers to meet your deadlines!

MakeEverything - 29/10/10 at 08:00 PM

I have just had a chat with someone tonight about this thread and my experiences, and have deleted some of my previous comments which may not have been entirely fair, particularly the emotional ones.

Although some of my initial disappointments still occurred, i should add that my problems are being dealt with and i have had constant support throughout the day today, by phone.
My ECU is going on a holiday to be repaired (Coil Driver got very hot) under its lifetime warranty, and on a fast track service.

So in the cold light of day, i surmise that MTECH have really done what they can for me over the last 2 days, given the circumstances, and as said will retract some of my previous posts.

mtechmatt - 31/10/10 at 05:06 PM

Hi everyone, Im Matt from M-Tech..

Firstly, as discussed with Richard, the unit was not to be brand new as we do not sell the older V3 system anymore..

The coil driver went pop, as Richard loaded his EDIS based map into it...

We rushed around and dug him out a unit so he could get his car up and running, and as he will recall I offered him mapping for free once he gets it going on account as its for a charitable cause.

The notes I gave him were that coil A is on Pin 36 and Coil B is on pin 4, with all other pins being the same as the V2, hence why written on the invoice rather than typeed up and laminated.

Phil Ringwood likes to jump in and bla bla all about this and that instead of infact trying to help SOLVE the issue.

Phil, do you your customer blow coil drivers too?

As soon as Richard called me in working hours the next day, yes thats right chaps, we close at 5... I was on the case, and we went through some steps to check things over.

btw phil, his crank sensor was fine as he is now getting a stable RPM reading, though he did try and tell you this I believe?

Anyway, I have said get the ECU off to our engineer who builds and tests them, who is doing us a favour and digging out his old kit to sort this V3 out.

Richard has done so, and once the ECU is back in his hands, hopefully by mid this week, his car will be running, then brought to us to tune it for him.

I'm not entirely sure what richard means by "Customer Cars" in speech marks, we are a very busy company, we often have 15-20 projects on the go at anyone time, and the MEV outside is my own car, which with the amount of work we have on has been unable to be touched for over a year!

Hope that helps, my aims are to get Richards car up and running.... 'fake' V3 or not... anyone heard of IBM? Maybe something being IBM compatible? Our V3 board is Megasquirt V3 compatible...

Bored of you Phil, very bored!

Richardm, give us a call when you get the ECU back and we'll get it running

Cheers guys, sorry for the rant but it seems alot can be said without much proof of anything. I lvoe how Phil gets 2 emails a week about our V3s, A) we havent sold any for over a year and B) Lifetime warranty? Why havent they called the supplier??? Laughable!

mtechmatt - 31/10/10 at 05:13 PM

quote:
quote:

Interesting, so your badly built M-Tech unit has worked fine for 3 years, accept for a jumper wire? It was covered under warranty, but I think 3 years for a throughhole mounted system is pretty good going!

martyn_16v - 31/10/10 at 07:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mtechmatt
anyone heard of IBM? Maybe something being IBM compatible? Our V3 board is Megasquirt V3 compatible...

All IBM compatibles were reverse engineered from a clean slate to replicate the functionality, because just ripping off IBM's intellectual property (the BIOS, specifically in that case) without consent would be illegal.

clairetoo - 31/10/10 at 08:01 PM

quote:
Interesting, so your badly built M-Tech unit has worked fine for 3 years, accept for a jumper wire? It was covered under warranty, but I think 3 years for a throughhole mounted system is pretty good going!

It was a badly built M-tech unit that had been comprehensively re-worked by some one else after the original customer of yours had given up trying to get you to sort it out .
You have to understand that after my `experience' of dealing with you , I wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy

If you do indeed follow up on your promise and sort out Richards ECU , I for one will be amazed

daxtojeiro - 31/10/10 at 08:31 PM

Hi all,
simply do a search in Google for MTech and find out the truth for yourselves. I'm not going to turn this into a fight of words Im afraid, the truth is all out there.

I guess what you have to ask yourself is, if someone is willing to rip off someone elses design, software and firmware, are they a credable, worthy person to do business with??

Ohh, Matt, real MS ECUs use the Bosch spark drivers, these don't blow up (3 years without a single failure!)
The old spark drivers only burnt out when there were other issues, e.g. the crank signal, not due to the spark driver, but then your the expert

If people read this thread then they will soon see the approach you have is the opposite to mine:
Customer had no spark from EDIS module and no signal to the MS ECU from the EDIS module. (The EDIS will spark even if the ECU isn't in the car, so its not going to be the ECU)
My diagnosis was the EDIS module or the signal to the module (crank sensor), 9 times out of 10 its a miss aligned sensor, possibly the coil pack or a wiring fault. I got the customer to trigger the MS ECU externally and it fired into life, so it looks like the ECU was fine. Advise was fix the EDIS issues first. Cost for my diagnosis £0 (Im not going to rip the guy off and try to sell him something as the issue wasnt likely to be the ECU)

Your diagnosis was replace the ECU and dump the EDIS module. Cost for your diagnosis £351, and the customer still isn't up and running due to a smoking fake ECU

Sort of says it all doesn't it

Phil

[Edited on 1/11/10 by daxtojeiro]

mtechmatt - 1/11/10 at 08:49 AM

Phil,

I didn't carry out a diagnosis, the customer called asking if we could supply a V3 unit which I did.

And yes, we use the BIP drivers too, but we find incorrect wiring/bad tuen setup etc can still damage them. Hence why on the V4 we added protection external to the driver so you can run a car battery directly accross them and they still wont fail.

Indeed if you look around the web you may find a few bad experiences, you also find me jumping in offering to help and rectify. If you also look around you will see countless happy customers!

Did you watch MotorsTV the other night? You may of seen this car finish 2nd in the Brittish Rallyx champs...

http://www.mtechautomotive.co.uk/guides/index.php/Alan%27s_S2000_powered_RWD_RallyX_Corsa

Or pehaps just have a look on these locost forums for 'M-Tech Automotive' there is another post with people saying how they have had no issues, along with many other sites as well.

You just seem to keep going over old ground. Next time a customer emails you, say 'Contact M-Tech, you have a waranty, don't ya know?", that is of course if you get as many emails as you say.

The ECUs we have from other suppliers that we fix, and then map for people doesent make us jump on everytime we see their names on a forum, we just want the customer driving down the road with a big grin, and that is exactly what we aim for everytime!

Heres an MEV customer of our, in hbis own words:

http://www.mtechautomotive.co.uk/guides/index.php/Tim%27s_MEV_Rocket
Try and find a recent bad thread, rather than things back from 2006 when we were assembling the ECUs, much like yourself, at home. The V3 was then assembled by a factory in Notts, and the V4 is now robotically asembled (as its SMD) down in Southants. The ECus only ever cause issues when insutrctions are not followed and first time attempts show up problems.

Like you Phil, I have yet to blow up a V3 myself when fitting and mapping, regardless of who built it!

Also, forgot to mention, the V3 supplied to Richard was removed from a RUNNING VEHICLE! The customer wanted to upgrade to our V4 system, hence its removal!

Matt

[Edited on 1/11/10 by mtechmatt]

interestedparty - 1/11/10 at 08:56 AM

This thread is a great example of why name/shame threads are a BAD thing.

If the person or firm being got at in the thread isn’t there to defend himself then its bloody unfair. If he is there to defend himself then people reading it don’t know who is telling the truth (probably both of them, each giving their own experiences) and who is not telling the truth. Or it could even be that the truth is somewhere in between or not there at all.

Personally I think forums are better off without name/shame threads.

mtechmatt - 1/11/10 at 09:27 AM

I to some part agree, however with the bad comes the good, and people like to post their experiences, both good and bad.

The problem here is we are talking THEIR experiences, not a third persons.

Also, people rarely pass on good results, just bad ones!

The outside fact is this. If as a company we were 'so bad' as it were, why would I be on here defending myself? Why would I of even bothered to help richard with a V3 in the first place? How comes we are featured in so many magazines, and build championship winning cars?

We have a 4000sq foot premises packed with work, and an MOT bay doing 8 tests a day as well, a dyno that does on average £300/day in tuning, so why play for the small profit in a retired V3 unit, bringing with it the support requirements and so on?

The reason is becuase I actually enjoy helping people, and I like I said as any tuning company would agree, the grin on the customers face when they pull back in after the road test (or the funny noises they make on the road test and almost little boy excitment thereafter!) makes it all worth while.

We simply wouldn't be a succesful company if we had not good results, certianly not after 6 years now, with ever growing expansion and development.

As someone above put how threads like these stop people wanting to deal with companies 'like us', I agree, it makes me want to stop dealing with customers who dont appreciate the cost of motorsport, those who dont appreciate mistakes can indeed be on their part, and those who dont appreciate the efforts we go through to help.

We always go over and above the call of duty for customer satisfaction, and like other tuners are at the end of the phone to answer technical queries.. even out of hours when warranted!

This is in by no way a dig at Richard, in fact after speaking to him he said how he didnt mean it to dig so bad at us, just expressing frustration, which I can appreciate.

Time pressure gets to all of us!

Matt

MakeEverything - 1/11/10 at 07:53 PM

OK, i need to chip in here.

My initial disappointments are because my expectations from companies (Including my own) which provide a service are very high. Subsequently, this means that i am often constantly looking at areas for improvement and development.
Presently, i am working as a transition consultant on a CHP (Combined Heating & Power) scheme, whereby my standards are the difference between having no tools, materials and no maintenance carried out for 8 years, to having a full set of clean tools, correct work areas, painted floors and up to date maintenance. I strongly believe that your work space often reflects your standard of work - "Face Value" which i refer to below.

I have been wanting to upgrade from my old V2.2 for some time, and the problems i had with the suspected EDIS (Even after phils help identifying the ECU as fine) and not being able to get hold of one last week, really just expedited my decision to go for a newer ECU.

At the time, i think there may have been a communication problem which lead me to believe that the ECU was new - Matt, im almost certain that Tim said you had a "New one Stashed away", but im not worried about this.

As already said, i did make some unfair comments with which, my urgency added more emotion than i should have allowed leading the their subsequent removal. I apologise if this offended in any way.

I should also add, that Matt is correct in saying that he has offered everything he can (Short of coming over to fit it himself!! ) to help me out, and am confident that somehow i will have the car running on the V3 ECU.

In Phils's defence as well, he did try to offer as much help as possible, with an ECU that he didnt even sell me.

The V3 Coil Driver problem is still a bit of a mystery to me as i didnt have any map loaded in, only the settings from the MS1 however, the dwell settings may have been the cause, after some searching around.

This thread was not a Name and Shame thread at all, it was merely an expression of my experiences and an open forum discussion. Similarly, if either had excelled in any way i would have said so.

In short;

I approached M-Tech for a V3 in a bid to upgrade and remove EDIS.
M-Tech have produced one and offered the repair FOC under the lifetime warranty.
Phil did help me to diagnose the MS1 as serviceable, and potential EDIS issues.

I will also add, that im not going to be in the middle of Matt and Phil's pissing contest, and will take either party on face value (Good or bad) rather than historical (2006 was mentioned?) problems. Feedback as a regular contributor to this forum is a consequence of a good or a bad service, indifferently. That is what makes this forum so useful to all members.

Matt, The quote "Customers Cars" was the phrase you used to describe them. Dont read anything into that, it is quite literally, a quote. No ill intention there.

So there we have it. Ive said my peace, and have nothing more to say on my previous posting errors, or this situation at this stage, though my build blog and "Update" thread will be kept updated.

All i can say is what i see, know, think and experience. This is after all, a discussion forum for like minded people.

interestedparty - 1/11/10 at 08:33 PM

The thing with name and shame threads is that in every case, I should think, the person starting it is just setting out their own experiences.

That's all well and good, but one person's experience isn't necessarily the actual truth of a situation. To take an extreme example- suppose someone was to go to a film and say they absolutely hated it. Maybe they did, and they would be speaking the truth, but it would be a truth from their own point of view. It could be that everybody else in the cinema loved it. But if other people only read that one point of view, they might not go and see the film for themselves.

And that's the problem, it's only one person's point of view. They are absolutely entitled to it, but I'm not sure if they ought to be allowed to tell goodness knows how many other people about it through a well-used forum like this.

I don't want to cause offence to Richard, especially as there have been plenty of other threads like this in the past, but I would like others to say what they think about this type of thread, and whether such threads are fair or not.

mtechmatt - 1/11/10 at 08:35 PM

Richard,

I have some good news to add. After speaking to Notts, the ECu will be with you wednesday

Call me once you have it there and we will do some prechecks before we fire her up

Cheers,
Matt

mtechmatt - 1/11/10 at 08:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
I don't want to cause offence to Richard, especially as there have been plenty of other threads like this in the past, but I would like others to say what they think about this type of thread, and whether such threads are fair or not.

I think they are worth it as a post, if the parties involved can be informed of it.

It is very frustrating how a problem can be spoken alowed whilst at the same time being solved. Between the solution and the problem arising, 'competition' can make their mark and so on. I think the end result is what counts.

Posts of this nature should read:

I had an issue.
I made them/the person aware.

Then Either:
They sorted things to my satisfiaction

Or:
They did not, avoid like the plague.

As it currently stands they tend to read:
I have a problem, Im panicing, anyone else with a problem with such and such... whos going to appear, those whom have had a problem.

Yes, I have a few unhappy customers out there in the past, I have done all I can to help them out, can;t do anymore than that, but these customers come to light...

Claire, I remember you disticntly. You ordered the ECU, then cancelled, then reordered. I only remember you as you are 1 of probably 5 (in maybe almost a thousand happy customers by now) people whom have not been entirely pleased with our service. I also had a chap working for at the time by the Name of Chuzzy, whom was not help at all when dealing with customers (I was back at uni at this point and so could not dedicate my full attention to M-Tech, though as you said this is over 3 years ago now.

As a gesture of good will (I'm not sure how far along your project is in terms of mapping etc) I am more than happy for you to pop down here for a free check/tune on the rollers, or indeed just a power run to see how everything is performing.

Regards,
Matt

l0rd - 1/11/10 at 08:59 PM

I am going to hide in a corner and put loads of layers of foam and bubble wrap around me.

Richard, did all these happen because i pushed you to the garage for some progress the night that the first ECU was damaged?

MakeEverything - 1/11/10 at 09:16 PM

quote:
The thing with name and shame threads is that in every case, I should think, the person starting it is just setting out their own experiences.

That's all well and good, but one person's experience isn't necessarily the actual truth of a situation. To take an extreme example- suppose someone was to go to a film and say they absolutely hated it. Maybe they did, and they would be speaking the truth, but it would be a truth from their own point of view. It could be that everybody else in the cinema loved it. But if other people only read that one point of view, they might not go and see the film for themselves.

And that's the problem, it's only one person's point of view. They are absolutely entitled to it, but I'm not sure if they ought to be allowed to tell goodness knows how many other people about it through a well-used forum like this.

I dont want to cause offence by calling you a hypocrite, but i draw your attention to your post here

Now youre confusing me.....

MakeEverything - 1/11/10 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
I am going to hide in a corner and put loads of layers of foam and bubble wrap around me.

Richard, did all these happen because i pushed you to the garage for some progress the night that the first ECU was damaged?

yes!!

....maybe......

MakeEverything - 1/11/10 at 09:19 PM

quote:
Richard,

I have some good news to add. After speaking to Notts, the ECu will be with you wednesday

Call me once you have it there and we will do some prechecks before we fire her up

Cheers,
Matt

Will Do, Thanks Matt thats great. Im working this week though, so might not be until the evening (After 5 though ) or weekend?

scootz - 1/11/10 at 09:49 PM

quote:

... and that's all we can do!

As far as I'm concerned it's up to the individual to satisfy themselves as to whether or not a reputation is deserved and anyone who considers every opinion to be fact is either extremely naive or extremely foolish.

interestedparty - 1/11/10 at 10:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
I dont want to cause offence by calling you a hypocrite, but i draw your attention to your post here

Well you are confusing me too, I don't quite see how an argument between 2 people posting on a thread is the same as a name and shame thread. It's not like it's going to affect either of ours businesses as we dont have any AFAIK.

A few years ago I did have a business, and I fell out with a customer who, if there had been internet forums at the time, I reckon could have done me a great deal of damage, and he was totally convinced he was right, regardless of my having several witnesses who would have testified against him if he could have got it into a court.

That's what I am saying, it's all very well for a person to say 'it's my opinon and I'm entitled to tell people' but some people work on the 'where there's smoke there's fire' principle even though they ought to be more sensible.

fatbaldbloke - 2/11/10 at 10:17 AM

One could argue that it's only peripherally relevant, but it's well known that good management practice extends to, 'praise in public, criticise in private'. In general I think that praise at the resolution of a problem should be publicised. Writing that one had a problem, but after a number of phone calls, emails, etc, it was resolved, is fine. I tend to feel that posting about a problem when it's still active is an indication of a breakdown in communication, and broadcasting it in public is unlikely to help. It makes it harder to get the problem fixed. Now, I know this appears to contradict what's happened in this thread, but I do think this is the exception, and there has been a bit of unhealthy posting and comment retraction along the way.
I think however that threatening to post is an acceptable tactic, whilst still keeping it private and keeping the communication channels open, but once that card is played it just makes it harder to get a resolution 9 times out of 10, at least not without some blood-letting.
At the end of the day, if a supplier loses your business because they haven't met your expectations, so be it, but is it a customer's right or duty to prejudice others against that business? It's particularly sensitive on forums like this because negative posts tend to address, or get their message across to a substantial percentage of the supplier's potential customers.
In this particular instance, there's been a positive resolution, and MTech have come out of it, I think, not looking too shabby, however, anyone that read the thread a couple of days ago and hasn't been back to see the outcome would most likely have been prejudiced against them. Is that a fair reward for the help they've offered? I don't have any links to MTech, I'm just responding to the discussion topic whether posts like this should be encouraged or not, and I think not.

scudderfish - 2/11/10 at 12:28 PM

When I was in the market for an MS ECU, I avoided MTech due to things I had read in other places about them with no-one apparently speaking in their favour. I bought one from Phil (extraefi), and both the MS and aftersales support I've got have been excellent.

However, having now heard Matt's side of the history and how he's been up front about this issue and how it is dealt with, I have a much more favourable opinion about the customer relations side of MTech. I don't like the unresolved issue of the legitimacy of the MTech ECU though.

MakeEverything - 2/11/10 at 10:54 PM

The thread was simply started as an expression of my experiences, and i have (as has Matt) been very open about the positive aspects however, at the time of posting i was aware that i would more than likely ( i have) missed my planned deadline last week which means that the car is unlikely to be MOT'd this side of christmas. This is the reason for the emotion in some of my posts, which was totally incorrect of me - hence the retraction and public apology. The facts though, still remain unchanged, more of which have been posted over the last few days.

If anything, i think the thread has promoted the M-Tech business in a better light, and has surfaced some rumours that clearly needed the 2nd side of the story.

For the last time i will say that this was never a name and shame thread. Anyone challenging that, should remind themselves of This.

There are also some questions in the original post, asking for advice on Schematics.

[Edited on 2-11-10 by MakeEverything]

MakeEverything - 2/11/10 at 11:00 PM

quote:
quote:

but some people work on the 'where there's smoke there's fire' principle even though they ought to be more sensible.

Precisely what i meant.

mtechmatt - 3/11/10 at 06:02 PM

Richard,

I assume your ECU arrived back with you today?

Cheers,
Matt

MakeEverything - 3/11/10 at 07:09 PM

Hi Matt,
At present I'm still on my way home but will check when I get in.

daxtojeiro - 4/11/10 at 07:04 AM

quote:
I don't like the unresolved issue of the legitimacy of the MTech ECU though.

OK, I would like to say one last thing on this:

Can you imagine how it feels to work for years on a project, not for money as we didnt get paid, just working on it as your so interested in it and writting page after page of code, manuals, designing hardware, etc, etc. Then a company comes along and starts dragging that product down due to bad quality and backup. It was really touch and go for a while, as there were some really bad experiences from customers. We banned the company as a very last resort and they are the only company we have ever banned!!
When that company then turns around and rips your product off by making FAKE ECUs you sort of can't believe that someone would do that!
For that company to then carry on making them and call them something else is a complete wee take, and thats not the sort of person I would want to do business with, as thats the base of their character. If they are willing to rip us off then ripping a customer off isn't going to make them lose any sleep!

Thats what I wanted to point out and I think everyone should know just the sort of person they are dealing with.

I dont think Ive ever been on here or any forum and pointed people to buy an MS off me, I dont make a living out of it, I have a very well paid day job, plenty of investments, etc, so I dont need the sales. I make MSs as I love doing it, I love to think that people are out there using the firmware, hardware and manuals that I was involved in, thats vertually all I get out of it. Simply look at all the help Ive given on here!
Phil

mtechmatt - 4/11/10 at 09:03 AM

Phil,

This is where you are WRONG.

We were happily selling the V3s en masse.

Were one of the first companies to sell them fully built on eBay and the like. And then you came along. Now I appreciate the effort you put in etc, but you then made an effort to get the MS community against us, which led to us being shut down! Unfortunately, I ad a supplier and he provided me with boards.

Our supply and qualityn of product was very good, we kept on going, and then finally bought a rolling road and openmed up tuning.

WE TRIED SEVERAL TIMES TO BUY A LICENSE!

Ask James Murray, who I am STILL in disscusions with over the MS3 as we would like to license it and develop it further!!

I would happily pay a meager 4% to the MS guys, but you just won't take it, even though our systems are 100% more reliable, and have much more advanced hardware features that M-Tech paid to have developed, again which I am willing to contribute to the MS project!

You can but try....

flak monkey - 4/11/10 at 06:51 PM

Sorry Matt, but if you were selling assembled units for a profit before being a licenced supplier and then get a bad rep at the start (which to be honest is all over the internet) then its no suprise that your supply of official boards was stopped. Going ahead and then copying someones itellectual property is both morally and legally wrong irrespective of whether you thought you were in the right or wrong.

If your quality has improved then fair enough, and you seem happy to resolve customers issues, but by ripping off someone elses design and code is still wrong.

To be honest the forum is no place to resolve the issue.

clairetoo - 20/11/10 at 09:16 AM

about time for an up-date ? After all the discussion this thread caused , did the issue get resolved ?

scootz - 20/11/10 at 10:51 AM

... a lady never forgets!

MikeR - 20/11/10 at 12:02 PM

but does she forgive?

mtechmatt - 18/12/10 at 03:23 PM

Thought id share an update...

After Richard managed to destroy the V3 we supplied by loading on an EDIS map, we took it back and reapired it free of charge and returned to him.

In the mean time, low and behold he got his other one working, no doubt with our extensive chats and help we offered.

He now would like a full refund

He can send it back, and he will get his refund, but I make this vow here and now:

I will now not deal with the following group of people:
* Those who want it 'cheap'
* Those who have no money
* Those whom obviously have very little grasp of EFI
* Those who expect phone calls at 8pm when our website clearly states our opening hours
* Addendum to the above: Those who cannot read, or are lacking mental capacity to calculate times, may call anytime, but do not expect an answer.
* Anyone part of a group pertaning to 'lo-cost', as these seem to be the most troublesome, perhaps they should stick to build it yourself megsauirt V2.2s and EDIS modules and all sorts of scrap, to aid their quest for this 'lo-cost' vehicle.

However, I will deal with the following, as we currently do, and whom somehow keep us 'cowboys' (as Richard put it) in business, in a rather large premises, with a rather large turnover....
*Those whom task us to build race cars with real budgets
*Those that can drive and as aresult win the competitions they enter

In fact, theres a correlation, those who run businesses seem to be able to afford doing a job right, and getting success with M-tech, and these same very people tell tales of nightmare customers, that usually open not with 'What can I expect' but merely 'What is my CHEAPEST option?', in any profession.

Richard was also, SHOCKED that at Mtech we dont have a test rig for our ECUs, well that is mainly down to the fact that A) we have cars here, with engines, that run on the ECUs, and B) Whenever we fit them, they dont break... In fact, Every car that one of my staff has wiured up, has then gone onto the rollers to be mapped, with no ECU issues at all, yet every customers whos dads mates briothers is an electrician who maneged to wire up his own chrismas tree lights seems to have no end of issues! And before everyone goes off on one, remember Richard was having issues beforehand... the buck has simply been passed to us... laughable.

Next time your ill richard, go to your £300 doctor, stay clear of the £495 bunch, they can be trouble, though the suckers they usually are, they do try and help....

Have a great xmas everyone

[Edited on 18/12/10 by mtechmatt]

scootz - 18/12/10 at 03:29 PM

interestedparty - 18/12/10 at 03:32 PM

Name and shame thread backfire!

prawnabie - 18/12/10 at 03:33 PM

Its all to easy to fire off a thread when you are angry, I do it all the time!!

How many of use buy copied CD's, download stuff and buy fake stuff off ebay - remember the MD-80 type cameras we were all raving about a few months ago!

[Edited on 18/12/10 by prawnabie]

mtechmatt - 18/12/10 at 03:41 PM

People invariably get what they pay for, we supplied a known working ECU, and offered free mapping when he started having issues, but instead of bringing the car down, at say a cost of £100, he has decided to return the ECU, and revert to his old problematic ECU, and guess what, he will need it mapping, Im guessing around £400 cost there

Oh, lets do this the Currys way:
-Hi I bought this TV, then I poured water over it, now it doesent owrk..

-Ok, return it, we'll fix it for you and return it within 3 days (currys take nmonths, but you get the idea) (Man in currys thinks, here we go...

-Oh in the meantime I realised why my other TV kept cutting out, becuase you kindly pointed out that puring water over it was a bad idea, thank you mister currys, now, jsut for me, could I return this now defunct unit, after you have spend time and effort helping me realise the eorrors of my ways

Now this is where currys would say: Sod off you moron, though it would proboably come with a £10 gift voucher

We said 'Have free mappung, we'll sort it get it down to us, meanwhile, we're all thinking "Ah the problem cant be the wiring, as he says that is 100% ok, and he has wired loads of ECUs, perhaps its bscuase he loaded on an EDIS map onto a non-EDIS ECU? Probably, but its our fault for thinking he woudnt be that stupid, oh wait... he tricked us, the crafty bugger!

When he asked for the refund I said thats fine, £250+VAT, costing him £50, which in fact was our time effort, repair cost and postage and so on, but oh no, that would be far too much to ask, as that £50 will go along way in him not learning a lesson.

I then get an email about how we are a bunch of cowboys, he says, to us, in our fully equipped workshop with a car park full of work and conversions underway? No wonder he had problems with an ECU, that has wires and all sorts, he is obviously better qualified at wiring than he is at judging a companies performance, or maybe not....

Andybarbet - 18/12/10 at 04:16 PM

Does this :

* Anyone part of a group pertaning to 'lo-cost', as these seem to be the most troublesome, perhaps they should stick to build it yourself megsauirt V2.2s and EDIS modules and all sorts of scrap, to aid their quest for this 'lo-cost' vehicle.

Mean you will no longer deal with people from this site ?

I am going to be in the market for a megasquirt type ecu next year for my zetec with gsxr throttle bodies and just want to know whether to knock M Tech off my options list or not ?

prawnabie - 18/12/10 at 04:30 PM

I think you have hit the nail on the head there andy

scootz - 18/12/10 at 04:34 PM

I don't think Matt cares TBH... he's taken a fair kicking on this thread and probably feels he could do without the hassle (assuming what he has said has indeed been the case, but I'll put my popcorn in the warming drawer as I suspect there may be more to come!).

Fozzie - 18/12/10 at 04:39 PM

Hmmm... well, I read that as that he was unwilling/disinclined to deal with people who wanted sommat for nowt, as in
low or no cost.

Not the locostbuilders per se, but those who were not willing to pay for its worth, or couldn't quite grasp
what could be refundable and what could not .........

But I could well be wrong.....

Mtech over to you to clarify please.

Fozzie

MakeEverything - 18/12/10 at 04:58 PM

Hello Guys,

This was never a name and shame thread to start with. Below are the emails relating to it all.

Sent Today;
Matt,

Thank you for such a professional response in capital letters out of hours, I'm sure as the Managing Director of the company you find that very inconvenient. I also make reference to your post on the Locostbuilders forum regarding out of hours response, in which on the 31st October 2010 you said " As soon as Richard called me in working hours the next day, yes thats right chaps, we close at 5" it really does reflect your "Long Attitude" in its true form.

The testing of the ECU on a bike engine cannot constitute a test bed, as the only similarity with this is that it has (I presume) four cylinders. The coils are different, as are the majority of the settings. I haven’t seen your diagnostic report which identifies the original fault, which I assume you have as a reputable and professional business.

I am still puzzled as to why you see that you've helped this struggling customer in any way other than what is partly expected as "Good Customer Practice", and the fact that I cannot afford to transport myself and two vehicles 150 miles (time as well as money) shouldn’t say to you that I don’t have any money - which is incredibly short sighted and foolish of you to say.

You should understand (and as a business owner I should be surprised that you don’t) that every project has a budget, which in turn has a justifiable means. There comes a point in a project where a solution (such as the one which involves two days off work and a 300 mile round trip) pushes the costs beyond practicality. Surely as such a highly qualified individual with extensive business experience you have learnt this at some point in your career, or perhaps the your costs for taking two days off and hiring a vehicle and/or trailer are covered in your prices.

I also acknowledge your statement that my consumer rights and expectations are seen by you as being a "Problematic Customer", and at no point have I asked you to provide me with an ECU free of charge. Just the product which I had paid for, which you offered support from the outset.

Your comment regarding "Stupidity" is slanderous and you are treading some very dodgy ground. Your ECU was not supplied with any instructions or even reset to a standard map, regardless of me informing you of the intended use. With the complexity and diversity of such systems, you should understand that it is the suppliers responsibility to provide operation and maintenance requirements in order for the consumer to care for the product appropriately.

I also recognise (and will make it known at your request) that you don’t wish to deal with anyone not wishing to do business with customers with problems, nor without an endless budget but those with "Race Cars".

Have a great weekend.

Richard.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Thorne [mailto:Matthew.Thorne@mtechautomotive.co.uk]
Sent: 18 December 2010 15:11
To: Richard
Subject: Re: MTECH ECU

CONSIDER THE BIKE ENGINE THE TESTBED...

EITHER WAY SEND IT BACK FOR A REFUND, BUT YOU AND YOU ALONE HAVE MADE THIS BUNCH OF COWBOYS OPT TO NEVER HELP A STRUGGLING CUSTOMER AGAIN. THE FUNNY THING IS THAT YOU CANNOT GET IT RUNNING, HOWEVER WE WOULD, YOU DIDN'T AFFORD THE TRSNSORT FOR FREE MAPPING, EVEN THOUGH MAPPING WILL COST YOU MORE THAN THE FUEL. PERHAPS I SHOULD OF TURNED AWAY YOUR BUSINESS WHEN I REALISED THAT YOU SHOWED THE SIGNS OF A PROBLEMATIC CUSTOMER. NO MONEY, WANTING IT ALL FOR NOTHING, AND ABOVE ALL BLAMING US FOR THE STUPIDITY OF LOADING AN EDIS MAP.... HO HUM LIVE AND LEARN. APOLOG
ISE TO EVERYONE ELSE FOR ME WHO CALLS WITH AN ISSUE, AS I WILL BE TOO BUSY DEALING WITH RACE CARS, THAT LOW AND BEHOLD WE GET RUNNING. LOOK AT THAT I ANSWERED AN EMAIL OUT OF HOURS? AM I SLIPPING ALREADY? MUST EITHER BE MY LOVE OF HORSES OR MY LONG ATTITUDE..
Sent from my HTC

----- Reply message -----
Date: Sat, Dec 18, 2010 13:24
Subject: MTECH ECU
To: "'Matthew Thorne'" <Matthew.Thorne@mtechautomotive.co.uk>

Matt,

I have thought long and hard about your email, and sought some professional
advice. It’s not unfair at all. I am merely exercising my consumer rights
to return something that has never worked in the first place, or rather;

• Is of unsatisfactory quality when purchased, with covers missing
and without instructions

• Is not as originally described as a “New” item found in your
“Secret Stash of new units” when on my way to collect

• Is not fit for purpose, as I cannot (nor can anyone else) get this
ECU running on my car

I bought this from you as an item that had been “Removed from a bike engine
grass track racer”, and without a service which was a surprise to me when I
arrived. When I asked you if had any facilities to test them at your
workshop there, you said no, so how do you know it was working fully when
you sold it to me.

Just because you offer a lifetime warranty, doesn’t preclude you from
liability or returns, it merely states your voluntary commitment to repair
at any time in its life.

To be honest, I feel let down, ripped off and so angry at your last email,
regardless of trying to keep up relations. I am more than happy to share
the positives of our experience with others, though these are now somewhat a
distant memory. When I drove the 150 miles each way to come and see you, I
thought I was dealing with a bona-fide business, not a cowboy outfit. It is
admirable that you have managed to build a business as large as yours off
the back of someone else’s technology, however hope that you realise it
could be so much bigger with more of a customer focus.

Richard.

Sent: 16 December 2010 10:17
Subject: RE: MTECH ECU

Richard,

You broke the unit, and want to send it back, despite the fact there our
warranty means a unit should never be sent back?

If you buya TV from currys, break it, they replace it, you cant then send
it back becuase your old tv started working again?

Rather unfair I think!!

Cheers

Matthew Thorne BSc, MEng (Loughborough)

Managing Director

MakeEverything - 18/12/10 at 05:06 PM

Id just like to add as well, that the repairing of the old ECU was absolutely unrelated to any advice offered by MTECH or Matt. Particularly as it is an EDIS unit and a bona-fide Megasquirt one. Totally different, so matts claim that his help got it running is all too easy to make.

mtechmatt - 18/12/10 at 05:20 PM

richard,

Lets go rght to post #1, and change it to say the following:

"I bought a working ECU, then I loaded the wrong map, and killed the ECU."

If that statement is wrong, then yes, please have a go, if however it is correct (as all can see) then I suggest you apologise to all of those who will lose my services.

Remember, you had an issue, you blew up the ECU, and becuase I never called you back at 8pm you were on this very forum complaining about us! I have replied to your email, be sure to post that too.

Capitals are due to me ending from my mobile, as unfortunatekly, much no doubt to Richards disgrace, I am not in the office...

Just to reiterate:
Richard bought a working V3, which he blew up by loading the wrong map, as he admitted, and now blames us. He then comes on here harping away, but low and behold when he contacted me, we had it back, repaired and returned within 3 days, free of charge, as per our warranty.

If you prefer Richard I would rather you take all of your proclaimed legal action and we will see if you get your money back, or of course you can admit the truth, and as stated in the email you will get your money back.

I really don;t want to have to spell it out for you, to be honest I am annoyed with myself having ever offered to help in the first place!!

And Bonified ECU or not, did it read everything corrrectly, yes indeed, did you blow it up, yes you did....

I can honestly state (And anyone on here will agree) that an ECU that was running and engine would of ran another IF it were setup correctly to do so!! Think how much simpler this would of gone if you had not rushed into it and instead called me for a quick step by step!

The fact I contunied to help you after all of your comments (which you realised were wrong and subsequently removed!) goes to show the lengths I go to!!

I feel sorry for the poor sod who is next on your 'rattle leaves pram to blame list'

This is fun though

mtechmatt - 18/12/10 at 05:25 PM

quote:
Hello Guys,

This was never a name and shame thread to start with. Below are the emails relating to it all.

Sent Today;
Matt,

Thank you for such a professional response in capital letters out of hours, I'm sure as the Managing Director of the company you find that very inconvenient. I also make reference to your post on the Locostbuilders forum regarding out of hours response, in which on the 31st October 2010 you said " As soon as Richard called me in working hours the next day, yes thats right chaps, we close at 5" it really does reflect your "Long Attitude" in its true form.

****The typo and caps are due to my phone (the send from my HTC gives this away...)

The testing of the ECU on a bike engine cannot constitute a test bed, as the only similarity with this is that it has (I presume) four cylinders. The coils are different, as are the majority of the settings. I haven’t seen your diagnostic report which identifies the original fault, which I assume you have as a reputable and professional business.

*** Oh your experinece in this area is so great, I must only agree with you, or perhaps not. The settings make no difference seeing as you wiped them for your EDIS map....

I am still puzzled as to why you see that you've helped this struggling customer in any way other than what is partly expected as "Good Customer Practice", and the fact that I cannot afford to transport myself and two vehicles 150 miles (time as well as money) shouldn’t say to you that I don’t have any money - which is incredibly short sighted and foolish of you to say.

*** You cannot afford transport, but you can afford the time you have spent here and the future mapping costs? My aim was to get the car running, I'm not so sure about yours....

You should understand (and as a business owner I should be surprised that you don’t) that every project has a budget, which in turn has a justifiable means. There comes a point in a project where a solution (such as the one which involves two days off work and a 300 mile round trip) pushes the costs beyond practicality. Surely as such a highly qualified individual with extensive business experience you have learnt this at some point in your career, or perhaps the your costs for taking two days off and hiring a vehicle and/or trailer are covered in your prices.

*** The end result is you will need to do this at somepoint, dont blame US for making you realise that projects ioften go OVER budget!

I also acknowledge your statement that my consumer rights and expectations are seen by you as being a "Problematic Customer", and at no point have I asked you to provide me with an ECU free of charge. Just the product which I had paid for, which you offered support from the outset.

*** Which we gave fullmost and without hesitation, offering mapping and so on to get you on the merry road...

Your comment regarding "Stupidity" is slanderous and you are treading some very dodgy ground. Your ECU was not supplied with any instructions or even reset to a standard map, regardless of me informing you of the intended use. With the complexity and diversity of such systems, you should understand that it is the suppliers responsibility to provide operation and maintenance requirements in order for the consumer to care for the product appropriately.

** As dodgy as the ground you are treading by your previous posts? We do provide these means, via the webiste and the phone. If you cannot CALL US or READ you are not a fit person to be a customer, again, why I am so annoyed by selling you the ubnit in the first place. And in terms or reseting to a standard map, does a 36-1 dual coil map seem Ok to you? As that was what was on the bike, if tyou could reload the map.... oh no you wiped it!

I also recognise (and will make it known at your request) that you don’t wish to deal with anyone not wishing to do business with customers with problems, nor without an endless budget but those with "Race Cars".

*** No I dont wish to desal with PROBLEMATIC custumers, and I also real budget, not endless. No wonder you had problem with the ECU, when I said call me after wiring it up, I think you heard 'Load an EDIS map and destroy it'

Have a great weekend.

Richard.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 18 December 2010 15:11
Subject: Re: MTECH ECU

CONSIDER THE BIKE ENGINE THE TESTBED...

EITHER WAY SEND IT BACK FOR A REFUND, BUT YOU AND YOU ALONE HAVE MADE THIS BUNCH OF COWBOYS OPT TO NEVER HELP A STRUGGLING CUSTOMER AGAIN. THE FUNNY THING IS THAT YOU CANNOT GET IT RUNNING, HOWEVER WE WOULD, YOU DIDN'T AFFORD THE TRSNSORT FOR FREE MAPPING, EVEN THOUGH MAPPING WILL COST YOU MORE THAN THE FUEL. PERHAPS I SHOULD OF TURNED AWAY YOUR BUSINESS WHEN I REALISED THAT YOU SHOWED THE SIGNS OF A PROBLEMATIC CUSTOMER. NO MONEY, WANTING IT ALL FOR NOTHING, AND ABOVE ALL BLAMING US FOR THE STUPIDITY OF LOADING AN EDIS MAP.... HO HUM LIVE AND LEARN. APOLOG
ISE TO EVERYONE ELSE FOR ME WHO CALLS WITH AN ISSUE, AS I WILL BE TOO BUSY DEALING WITH RACE CARS, THAT LOW AND BEHOLD WE GET RUNNING. LOOK AT THAT I ANSWERED AN EMAIL OUT OF HOURS? AM I SLIPPING ALREADY? MUST EITHER BE MY LOVE OF HORSES OR MY LONG ATTITUDE..
Sent from my HTC

----- Reply message -----
Date: Sat, Dec 18, 2010 13:24
Subject: MTECH ECU
To: "'Matthew Thorne'" <Matthew.Thorne@mtechautomotive.co.uk>

Matt,

I have thought long and hard about your email, and sought some professional
advice. It’s not unfair at all. I am merely exercising my consumer rights
to return something that has never worked in the first place, or rather;

• Is of unsatisfactory quality when purchased, with covers missing
and without instructions

• Is not as originally described as a “New” item found in your
“Secret Stash of new units” when on my way to collect

• Is not fit for purpose, as I cannot (nor can anyone else) get this
ECU running on my car

I bought this from you as an item that had been “Removed from a bike engine
grass track racer”, and without a service which was a surprise to me when I
arrived. When I asked you if had any facilities to test them at your
workshop there, you said no, so how do you know it was working fully when
you sold it to me.

Just because you offer a lifetime warranty, doesn’t preclude you from
liability or returns, it merely states your voluntary commitment to repair
at any time in its life.

To be honest, I feel let down, ripped off and so angry at your last email,
regardless of trying to keep up relations. I am more than happy to share
the positives of our experience with others, though these are now somewhat a
distant memory. When I drove the 150 miles each way to come and see you, I
thought I was dealing with a bona-fide business, not a cowboy outfit. It is
admirable that you have managed to build a business as large as yours off
the back of someone else’s technology, however hope that you realise it
could be so much bigger with more of a customer focus.

Richard.

Sent: 16 December 2010 10:17
Subject: RE: MTECH ECU

Richard,

You broke the unit, and want to send it back, despite the fact there our
warranty means a unit should never be sent back?

If you buya TV from currys, break it, they replace it, you cant then send
it back becuase your old tv started working again?

Rather unfair I think!!

Cheers

Matthew Thorne BSc, MEng (Loughborough)

Managing Director
The typo and caps are due to my phone (the send from my HTC gives this away...)

mtechmatt - 18/12/10 at 05:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
Does this :

Mean you will no longer deal with people from this site ?

I am going to be in the market for a megasquirt type ecu next year for my zetec with gsxr throttle bodies and just want to know whether to knock M Tech off my options list or not ?

Andy,

More than happy to help, and no doubt you will join one of the hundreds if not thousands of people driving around on one of our ECUs.

I will not deal with those who believe it can all be accomplished for £200, or those who cannot see that bringing the car down and getting it all running and mapped for FREE is not worth it 'at the moment' but hey, next year it will be, erm cheaper? or something, honestly the logic this chap uses is deeply confusing, or pehaps it is so far advanced us meager cowboys cannot work it out??

Either way, I do love an argument, espcially when I am so obvsiouly right.

C'mon people say it out loud one last time:
"Hi, I blew the unit up, Can I have a full refund" - erm I think our T&C state we will repair FOC under warrenty which we did, so whats the issue? Ok, in the interested o fairness cover the repair cost and postage and time spend and lose £50, abnd send it on back, no not happy with that? Ok, call us cowboys, and get offered your refund, but remember kids, M-Tech will never go near your sort again. Its ok though, Richard will be along with a full apology, as now you will all need to pay £3k to have an ECU fitted by and mapped by someone else rather than £995 with us Yay!

Fozzie - 18/12/10 at 05:39 PM

Ok...so now we have had the story and respective responses, both previous and current.

(And a clarification on Andy's recent question.)

Could you both (Richard and Matt) now communicate to a conclusion between yourselves, as with the greatest of respect
none of us were there at the time.

This thread is now closed.

Fozzie........Admin

[Edited on 18-12-10 by Fozzie]