Board logo

To Cat or not to Cat
big_wasa - 19/10/19 at 02:32 PM

I am mocking up my exhaust and although I won’t require a Catalytic converter by law for mot I am thinking of adding one any way. A 200 cel one.

So a little pol

coyoteboy - 19/10/19 at 04:32 PM

If you can, the environment karma might thank you for it. But if not, I'm not sure it will really care.

sebastiaan - 20/10/19 at 10:20 AM

I did, years ago. Made all the difference in usability of the car as it meant I could drive it to work and not stink up the office by wearing petrol fume-scented clothes. The hairdrier on the side of your engine means power loss won't be an issue ;-)

Only thing you have to loose is the ability to do spark-cut rev limiting (flames!) and anti-lag (flames and noises!) as that would ruin the cat. Your choice.

coyoteboy - 21/10/19 at 12:14 AM

Pfft tuned properly you shouldn't smell of petrol.

sebastiaan - 21/10/19 at 02:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Pfft tuned properly you shouldn't smell of petrol.

with a properly tuned EFI-equipped pinto, yes, you actually do smell of petrol in an open-top seven with side exhaust after a decent drive. At least in my car this was the case, YMMV depending on exhaust location, etc.

coyoteboy - 21/10/19 at 05:19 PM

Jeezo, I wonder what makes it spew unburned fuel.

MikeRJ - 21/10/19 at 06:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Jeezo, I wonder what makes it spew unburned fuel.

Pretty much all old non-cat car exhausts smelled of fuel IME.

coyoteboy - 21/10/19 at 07:34 PM

My de-catted 3S-GTE doesn't. Or didn't until I cracked a ringland and it misfired lol.

SJ - 21/10/19 at 09:54 PM

Don't get why you would bother. My zetec on bike carbs doesn't smell of petrol if a car on efi does you have problems.

chillis - 23/10/19 at 09:49 AM

If this is a new build then that age of Zetec (black top) will need a cat. if you are already registered and do not require a cat why would you complicate things.
I know the rules may change in the future but I would wait until then before adding a cat.