Board logo

Taper threads.
Dusty - 29/4/08 at 09:27 PM

I have just bought myself an electric fuel pressure gauge with a sender that has a 1/8-27 NPT thread. However it only screws two and a half turns into the connectors which I have. I thought my connectors were 1/8 NPT but on measuring they have 28 TPI.
Does this mean the various tails and two way/three way connectors I have are some other standard. Any ideas please.

David Jenkins - 29/4/08 at 09:38 PM

If it's 28tpi and tapered, it's probably 1/8" BSPT.

I currently have the same problem with fitting a 1/8" BSPT pressure gauge to a 1/8"-27 NPT hole in a Filter King fuel regulator.

You could try talking to someone at Think Auto - they do adaptors for all sorts of stuff...

MKMike - 29/4/08 at 10:00 PM

I'll second that, probably BSP, they are similar but the angle of the thread profile is slightly different and as you mentioned the pitch is is different on 1/8". 1/2" & 3/4" have the same thread pitch but should not be used together because of the thread profile.

See the link: Link

Dusty - 29/4/08 at 10:10 PM

Rats. BSP they must be. I guess I will be fitting it after Stoneleigh. Should get to rummage through the adaptors there and find something suitable. What I would like is a T piece with two BSP female threads and one NPT.

MKMike - 29/4/08 at 10:20 PM

Try a pneumatics or hydraulics suppliers, they usually have lots of different pipe fittings

02GF74 - 30/4/08 at 09:17 AM

thinkauto will have it or make it providing you know what the tweo threads are.

also take a look at VWP - they sell adapters too.

David Jenkins - 3/5/08 at 01:41 PM

Here's what I bought from my local branch of Pirtek (suppliers of hydraulic hose & fittings) today - the hexagonal thing is internally threaded 1/8" BSP, the adaptor is 1/8" BSP one side and 1/8" NPT the other, and there's a sealing washer to marry the two together.

Should do the job nicely... Rescued attachment adaptors.JPG
Rescued attachment adaptors.JPG