Board logo

Dash warning light positioning
Jomibo - 17/7/10 at 03:22 PM

Hi all, I have just bought a Robin Hood S7 and want to tidy up the dash a bit and was wondering if there are any rules of where warning light can be positioned?
The current lights are spread about a bit and I want to put them all together on a warning lamp panel in the centre of the dash.
Currently on the car are
1 x indicator warning
1 x fog lamp bulb
1 x ignition/battery light
1 x main beam light

Im going to add a 'fan on' light as I have a secondary fan and change the indicator to two separate lights.
Many Thanks
John

adithorp - 17/7/10 at 03:35 PM

In addition to those lights you should have a brake fluid level light. It's usualy combined with a handbrake light.

The only stipulation on position is that they should be visable from the driving position.

adrian

Jomibo - 17/7/10 at 05:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
In addition to those lights you should have a brake fluid level light. It's usualy combined with a handbrake light.

Thanks for that, is the handbrake light an MOT necessity? as I dont think its ever had one. I have changed my mind and will have one bulb for the indicators and one for the handbrake!

scudderfish - 17/7/10 at 05:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jomibo
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp

Thanks for that, is the handbrake light an MOT necessity? as I dont think its ever had one. I have changed my mind and will have one bulb for the indicators and one for the handbrake!

It's not a handbrake light, it's the light to warn you of low brake fluid. You need some way to test that it works, so it is commonly wired to a microswitch on the handbrake. If you don't have that then you need a separate switch on the dash.