Board logo

Red starter buttons...
ned - 7/7/04 at 09:13 AM

I really like the honda s2000 buttons as on ebay, but they seem a tad pricey.

The caterham (ala r500) ones look ok to me and after a bit of snooping it appears that they are supplied by farnels, so if you want to buy one for a mere £8.64 as opposed to caterham's £30 follow this link:

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=109282&N=0

I also had a quick look on maplins which seem to sell a reasonably priced aircraft style hood that can be fitted to a toggle switch.

Rallynuts have some reasonably priced aircraft style toggle switches too.

Ned.

white130d - 7/7/04 at 10:49 AM

Ned, the tech spec states it as a SPNO/SPNC switch. Is that on/off switch or is it a momentary contact push button.

David

ned - 7/7/04 at 11:15 AM

should be momentay contact push switch, an ignition on/off would be better as a toggle or rocker switch.

Alan_Thomas - 7/7/04 at 11:36 AM

This is not suitable for starter as it is not 'momentary action'. This switch 'latches on'. Search the farnell site for 'SPNO momentary' (single pole normally open momentary action)

loafersmate - 7/7/04 at 11:36 AM

The NO and NC refer to normally open or normally closed in its normal state (ie not being switched/pushed)

Ben

ned - 7/7/04 at 12:11 PM

ok, so apparantly it's only £15 from caterham, anyway, see here:

http://www.blatchat.com/T.asp?id=3509

Browser - 7/7/04 at 10:19 PM

I was going to do this, but (a) every bugger is so it's lost its 'quirky' appeal and(b) if Caterham are doing it I'm definitely not!

robinbastd - 7/7/04 at 10:21 PM

Get a starter handle!

crbrlfrost - 8/7/04 at 09:15 PM

Perhaps a rip cord!!

madforfishing - 9/7/04 at 12:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Browser
I was going to do this, but (a) every bugger is so it's lost its 'quirky' appeal and(b) if Caterham are doing it I'm definitely not!

Browser, why not really push the boat out and go different...Have a GREEN (For GO!) starter button, C***erham don't do them.

Dale - 9/7/04 at 12:55 AM

I have been considering using an industrial pushbutton switch (allelbradley) that has a light in the switch. Then the switch light could be fed from the murphy switch (oil pressure kill switch) and will only be on when the engine is running.
Dale

zetec - 9/7/04 at 03:40 PM

Would be even better if you could make it only work once to start the engine then need the ignition turned off before it would work the starter again, stop anyone wrecking a starter by presing it with the engine running.

I'm sure it could be done with a relay, just needs a bit of thought, which I ain't got much of today!

PeterGT4 - 10/7/04 at 05:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zetec
Would be even better if you could make it only work once to start the engine then need the ignition turned off before it would work the starter again, stop anyone wrecking a starter by presing it with the engine running.

I'm sure it could be done with a relay, just needs a bit of thought, which I ain't got much of today!

Maybe easier to just keep an eye on your passenger and give them a smack if they go to reach for it!

Nothing stops anyone from turning a conventional ignition key from running position to starter position and getting a "buzz" when running... I've done it before when my mind was elsewhere!

Hellfire - 10/7/04 at 09:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by PeterGT4
Nothing stops anyone from turning a conventional ignition key from running position to starter position and getting a "buzz" when running... I've done it before when my mind was elsewhere!

Haven't we all.... especially on those fandangly new quiet cars...

zetec - 10/7/04 at 08:10 PM

Some cars you can't, you have to turn the key back and then it will engage the starter. Can't remember if this happens on the Sierra switch...