Board logo

Quick Q - Diagnosing flat BEC battery
Kriss - 13/3/11 at 09:31 PM

Pulled the R1 out of the garage the other day and thought I would take it round the block to get it up to temp and get everything moving

pressed start and it was trying to turn the engine but no luck, even the dash wasnt dying.

put it on charge using some huge 90's halfords charger for about 5 hours and it burst into life. - brill I thought - but then I left it idling and didnt take it out.

today I thought I would do the same but again it didnt start, same "et et et ... et" nothing.

so charged for 5 hours however this time, still no improvement?

I dont have an alarm or any drains ont he battery I can think of.

the battery is 3 years old at least

HALFORDS TRADE CARD AT THE READY????

austin man - 13/3/11 at 09:35 PM

sounds fubbared

DRC INDY 7 - 13/3/11 at 09:42 PM

The battery sounds like its got a cell down bin it get a new one

I have just got myself a varley red top 15 battery

Dangle_kt - 13/3/11 at 09:53 PM

Cold kills bike batteries. and it was a pretty cold winter!

Unless you keep it on a proper trickle charger your battery will get wrecked over a cold winter like we have had, and it will be £40 for a new one

Buy an optimate.

britishtrident - 13/3/11 at 10:06 PM

Dead cell --- Google for Tanya Batteries next day delivery top quality makes much cheaper than Halfords

NigeEss - 13/3/11 at 11:23 PM

Tanya or Tayna ?

cloudy - 13/3/11 at 11:27 PM

The R1 engine is particulary sensitive to low voltage during cranking, the immobiliser kicks in for some reason. Try jumping it from a larger capacity battery - you may end up needing a new battery, i'm getting it more and more often on R4, especially when it's cold A jump start sorts it every time...

norfolkluego - 14/3/11 at 12:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DRC INDY 7
The battery sounds like its got a cell down bin it get a new one

I have just got myself a varley red top 15 battery

Must admit I've got one of these (Odyssey rather than Varley), they're brilliant, mine didn't notice the winter at all