Board logo

Xflow starter solenoid for Megajolt
tbowdery - 3/1/14 at 09:58 PM

Hey guys,

I've been a longtime lurker on this site while I've been working in the States and my Striker has been stuck in the UK. However, I took the decision to ship the car out to Houston last year and I've finally found time to get it running again (1700 xflow now with bike carbs and Texas license plates!).

The next project is to upgrade from distributor to Megajolt and I'd appreciate some advice.

I had to replace the old starter solenoid last year to get it running and the following warning was included in the box:

"DO NOT USE THIS STARTER SOLENOID WITH ENGINE CONTROL COMPUTER
Damage Precaution: This Solenoid DOES NOT use suppression diodes. Use of this Solenoid on vehicles with Engine Control Computers will result in permanent damage to the Computer/Processor."

It sounds like I need to change the solenoid again before the Megajolt install, but what should I get? I've not been able to find any obvious reference online to a suitable starter solenoid which has suppression diodes built-in.

Any ideas you may have would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Tony

paulf - 3/1/14 at 10:21 PM

The megajolt contains internal circuitry to protect it and should not be a problem.As far as I know no starter solenoids normally contain suppression, although if you wanted to be extra sure the you could connect a diode across the terminals .
I would imagine that it is just a disclaimer just in case although have never seen it in the UK.
Paul

tbowdery - 3/1/14 at 10:55 PM

Thanks for the swift response Paul.
Electrics are certainly not my speciality. Is there a particular size or type of diode that you would suggest?
Regards,
Tony

snapper - 4/1/14 at 09:14 AM

If the solenoid is built into the starter and not the older separate type then there has been no reported problems in the UK
I run Megajolt on Pinto engines which use similar starter motors with no added protection

redturner - 4/1/14 at 10:17 AM

I have Megajolt on my car/Zetec, which has a separate solenoid and havn't experienced any problems ...........

David Jenkins - 4/1/14 at 12:05 PM

I have Megajolt on a crossflow, and I'm using the original-style solenoid - the type that's separate from the starter motor. No problems for the past 8 or 9 years.

tbowdery - 4/1/14 at 11:48 PM

That's great to hear. Thanks guys. I'll just use the separate original-style solenoid I've got already and see how it goes. I appreciate the help.