Board logo

cheap solid-state oil pressure sensor
rodgling - 30/7/14 at 02:14 PM

Anyone got any experiences with these?

100psi Pressure Transducer or Sender for Oil,Fuel,Diesel,Gas,Air,Water Pressure

I'm in the process of fitting a digital dash and these look ideal for capturing oil and fuel pressure, much cheaper than the £100+ options available from the likes of Stack. I assume this one is solid-state so able to deal with vibration, it looks basically the same as the Stack ones.

MikeRJ - 30/7/14 at 05:01 PM

I'm also interested in these. They do seem remarkably cheap for the claimed specifications so I can understand why you might be suspicious.

rodgling - 30/7/14 at 06:53 PM

Well, I've bought two (for fuel and oil pressure) so I'll report back here if they're any good! I reckon they'll be fine.

rost - 31/7/14 at 08:27 AM

These are 5V, not sure if that will work for a stack dash?

rodgling - 31/7/14 at 08:42 AM

It's for a Race Technology dash2pro, so will be fine for that.

rodgling - 12/8/14 at 10:12 PM

Fitted the oil pressure sensor tonight and wired it into the dash. Appears to do the job nicely - if it proves to be robust and reliable then it's £18 well spent.

dave_424 - 13/8/14 at 12:22 AM

Anyone know of any gauges that would work with the 0-5v output?

v8kid - 13/8/14 at 04:57 AM

Is the temperature imitation a concern? The accuracy tails off after 80 centigrade. I've never measured oil temp but guess its higher than this when thrashed (just when you want to check temp)

Anyone know definitive position?

rodgling - 13/8/14 at 06:51 AM

That's a good point, I hadn't realised that... I guess I know that at the moment my engine sits at around 55 psi hot (from my old pressure sensor) so I'll get the oil up to temperature and if necessary adjust the dash calibration to match this - then it should be fairly accurate at normal operating temperature.

rodgling - 13/8/14 at 08:32 AM

Just realised: I've got it hanging off the block on a ~50 cm tube - I had this before with a traditional style sensor to protect it from vibration, figured I might as well keep using it since I had it already. This should keep the temperature down as its well out of the flow, so I guess it's unlikely to ever get to 80 C. So probably a non-issue.

v8kid - 18/8/14 at 08:28 AM

Yup that should do it - good tip for other builders