Board logo

suzuki bandit alternator
ryanill - 13/1/15 at 04:55 PM

i have recently been searching for and alternator for my duratec conversion. i quite liked the tiny denso types. but not the price. after asking about on here big_wasa put me onto the alternator off a suzuki bandit that he had brought and was intending to fit to his.

i orded the alternator from a ebay bike breaker

first thing was off to the local auto electritians for a bench test. all came back well so the next step was to see if i would make myself a new pully to suit the 6pk auxilery belt from the duratec. the shaft of the alternator was tappered so by running the alternator between centers on a lathe and clocking the compound slid to the taper i was able to reproduce the same taper on the new pully. after that a tool was made to match the V grooves on the pully and machine them to suit, also one of the mounting legs of the alternator was removed and the o ring groove was machined out.

next was onto the miller to machine some mounting brackets to pick up on the two remaining mounting legs. the alternator will be fixed with the tension provided my an adjuster pully on the opposit side of the block.

so far so good on this new alternator. thanks again to big_wasa for the idea of the bandit alternator.
one last picture of all the belt assembly on the block

ryan

davidimurray - 13/1/15 at 06:23 PM

Nice bit of work - what output are those alternators?

ryanill - 14/1/15 at 10:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by davidimurray
Nice bit of work - what output are those alternators?

not 100% sure but i think 40A. the guy who tested it said it will run the kitcar fine. i have got a friend to lend me a bandit workshop manual when i next see him so ill post once iv found out for sure

big_wasa - 14/1/15 at 12:06 PM

Thanks for the pictures. I get my lathe back this week end if the weather permits.

The info I found also says they are 40A like the others.

I've just bought another before the price goes up. Less than a tenner plus post