Board logo

led load resisters
chesney321 - 8/2/15 at 08:30 PM

I have just fitted some led rear lights and the indicators don't flash.Hazards work fine.Was sent a relay with them from bolt on bits but the relay in my wiring loom from aries motorsport has the indicator and headlight relay combined.Called bolt on bits and was told that I needed some load resisters which have now come,how exactly do you wire these in.there is a live and earth wire do you just connect them to the earth and live going to the indicators????????????

theprisioner - 8/2/15 at 08:57 PM

Fit an electronic flasher relay that does not require a load (2 x 21W) to work!

P.S. Resisors

[Edited on 8/2/15 by theprisioner]

lsdweb - 9/2/15 at 09:24 AM

quote:

P.S. Resisors

:-)

The Black Flash - 9/2/15 at 01:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chesney321
I have just fitted some led rear lights and the indicators don't flash.Hazards work fine.Was sent a relay with them from bolt on bits but the relay in my wiring loom from aries motorsport has the indicator and headlight relay combined.Called bolt on bits and was told that I needed some load resisters which have now come,how exactly do you wire these in.there is a live and earth wire do you just connect them to the earth and live going to the indicators????????????

I'm quite happy to be proved wrong, but I've never heard of such a thing. The indicator relay is a flasher, the headlight relay isn't, are you sure they are combined?
If not then the simplest thing is indeed to fit an electronic flasher relay. 4 or 5 quid and just plugs in where the old one did, eg Fix Flash Rate Turn Signal Flasher Relay LED indicator bulbs 3 PIN CF14 JL-02
Otherwise you'd fit the resistors inline with the leds - I don't think it'll matter if you put them before or after (i.e in the supply or the earth), though someone else may know better. I'd try it like this:

+12v --------- LED -------- [+ RESISTOR -] --------EARTH