Board logo

Hazard light problem
pmc_3 - 18/6/17 at 09:22 PM

Ok guys got a strange issue with the hazard lights on my GTM Coupe project. The hazards lights all work fine when switched on but the main beam warning light flashes instead of the direction warning ones.

By a bit of trial and error I found that if I disconnect the wire from the back of the hazard switch which feeds the right hand indicators so only the left side is flashing, I get the correct left direction light flashing on the dash. I've tried disconnecting each of the right indicator lights individually incase it was a wiring issue with one of them but no luck.

Any suggestions?

pmc_3 - 18/6/17 at 09:31 PM

Forgot to mention, indicators work fine and the correct direction light shows up on the dash when using them. I've also tried replacing the hazard flasher unit.

Schrodinger - 19/6/17 at 06:30 AM

I did have a similar issue with my rear lights a while ago and it turned out to be an earthing problem.

ttalps2000 - 19/6/17 at 07:27 AM

what loom are you running?

gremlin1234 - 19/6/17 at 09:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
I did have a similar issue with my rear lights a while ago and it turned out to be an earthing problem.
I agree, probably earthing.
I would first check the earth point for the dash. (the common between panel warning lights)

pmc_3 - 19/6/17 at 07:20 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I have found the problem! there was one black wire on the back of the warning light cluster not connected to anything, earthed that one and now all working correctly

jossey - 19/6/17 at 07:26 PM

Ye I'd have thought bad earth. Glad you sorted it

gremlin1234 - 19/6/17 at 07:52 PM

quote:
there was one black wire on the back of the warning light cluster not connected to anything,
yea, that would be the earth point for the dash

edit, actually very well done, for describing enough details to suggest the probable fault location

[Edited on 19/6/17 by gremlin1234]

pmc_3 - 19/6/17 at 08:37 PM

It's one of these clusters TRIUMPH STAG DOLOMITE 1500 DASHBOARD SMITH CLOCK MULTI GAUGE and is right above the steering column so was hard to spot!