Board logo

Acewell speedo magnet orientation
craigdiver - 6/1/18 at 09:51 AM

Acewell dash speedo

I have a 7659 acewell dash and am currently building my drive shafts and have drilled a shallow 8mm hole to locate the magnet. Question is the magnet has a red line on one side and a blue spot on the other, which should face the sensor (and do I presume correctly that mounting the magnet on metal won’t affect its effectiveness?)

Thanks

Craig

russbost - 6/1/18 at 10:08 AM

They are usually mounted with the blue spot as the mounting face, but it actually makes no difference at all, it is a magnet & makes no difference which pole is facing the reed switch, it relies on magnetism not polarity of magnet. The essential thing is to ensure that whatever you are glueing it to is absolutely spotless, degrease with something like acetone, thinners or meths NOT something oily like petrol, paraffin or turps, attach with araldite, JB weld or similar

tims31 - 6/1/18 at 01:07 PM

Mine never had any markings on but I mounted mine on the drive shaft can, filed the surface down slightly to key the surface and then surrounded it with Araldite leaving a small amount over the top just to hold secure.

Been on for 600 miles with no issues so far

craigdiver - 6/1/18 at 01:28 PM

great, thank you

snowy2 - 7/1/18 at 07:29 AM

it is better to mount the magnets all the same polarity if you use more than one magnet.... if its only one magnet than it doesn't matter.