Board logo

New wiring
HAL 1 - 13/2/18 at 06:48 PM

Hi all

Has anyone made their own loom from scratch ?
I'm thinking of doing this for my project but want to find out if it's actually worth it

How did the costs add up ?
I'd like to do it for myself so I'll have more understanding of it, the last part built i bought came with the loom part fitted and took some time to sort out

So wondering if I did the whole thing from scratch would this be better ?
Cheers

paulc - 13/2/18 at 07:12 PM

Just about to start on wiring myself, so I cant offer much help yet.

I'll be interested to see what people have to say.

Nickp - 13/2/18 at 07:48 PM

I bought a Premier loom (off here, not used). Really glad I did, and I'm a trained electronics technician

craigdiver - 13/2/18 at 07:51 PM

stripped the donor BMW loom down to individual cores (cannot believe how many uniquely marked wires there are) and building the car loom myself. The engine loom is original donor item.

Nickp - 13/2/18 at 08:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
stripped the donor BMW loom down to individual cores (cannot believe how many uniquely marked wires there are) and building the car loom myself. The engine loom is original donor item.

I admire your dedication

peter030371 - 13/2/18 at 08:50 PM

Built mine from scratch. Start with the power stuff out to alternator, starter etc then work on a single circuit at a time. Test each circuit as you go then you should be fine. It's really not that difficult when you do it like this. Mine wasn't a simple loom with dash2 pro linked to ECU plus 8 steering wheel mounted buttons but still enjoyed doing the loom.

HowardB - 13/2/18 at 09:36 PM

I did a loom for my zetec, wrote an article about it for the JPSC newsletter. It was very rewarding, especially when fitted back together and everything worked

I have the car loom to do - nightmare as the previous loom was done entirely in one colour with no markings!

deep joy!

hearbear - 14/2/18 at 12:02 AM

If you do it yourself make a good clear drawing and list of wire colours and where they go to and from. If you want to use just black wires with printed numbers buy yourself a length of multi core numbered wire with about 40 cores in it to give yourself plenty as you always need a few more than you think.

907 - 14/2/18 at 06:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
Built mine from scratch. Start with the power stuff out to alternator, starter etc then work on a single circuit at a time. Test each circuit as you go then you should be fine.
It's really not that difficult when you do it like this.

Couldn't have put this better. 100% agree.

I used plastic numbered rings on the wires. These are a bit like the i.d. rings used on birds legs.
If when connecting a wire it needed to be cut to length then slide the number along so that it remains on the wire after cutting.
Once the terminal is crimped on the wire the number is held in place.

On the subject of crimps; buy / borrow proper ratchet crimp pliers and proper double crimp terminal ends.

Don't skimp on crimps

Paul G

mackei23b - 14/2/18 at 09:08 AM

I've built several looms...

I've used https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/home for my supplies...

Cheers

Ian

nick205 - 14/2/18 at 10:06 AM

I bought a dedicated wiring loom for my Pinto engined MK Indy. It worked fine and came with a large well prepared drawing to follow. It also had the right connectors already on it.

When I stripped my donor Sierra wiring loom it was a huge bulk of wires, many would've been unneeded. Trying to modify and resize it would have been a nightmare!

Trying to build one from scratch may well have been satisfying, but I'm pretty sure the cost of parts and tools would have cost more than just buying one ready made.

Just my viewpoint - others may well feel different.

peter030371 - 14/2/18 at 10:52 AM

I wouldn't do it to save money. I did do it to a) get the loom I wanted with my relatively complex requirements and b) I was able to build it to the standard that I am happy with.

I did look at a Rapid fit loom but to get what I wanted was £385 and even then was not quite perfect...So I spent about £200 on wire, connectors (I did already have a lot of crimps), fuse boxes, relays, loom cover etc so it probably did work out a little cheaper but that was not my motivation for doing a scratch built loom.

HAL 1 - 15/2/18 at 10:52 AM

Thanks for all the help, it looks like I'll be having a go at my own wiring

I'm hoping that will give me a better understanding of the system and as mentioned, I hope, better reliability

I've already bookmarked autoelectric so with someone else's recommendation they're probably the ones I'll use

Thanks again all

Hal

peter030371 - 15/2/18 at 11:14 AM

Is also used https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/, http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/, https://www.rapidonline.com/ and eBay for my bits.

Rapid used to be a trade supplier but will now happily supply the home user. Great for some tooling (look at 85-0212), cable ties, heat shrink and insulated crimps (I have used Davico brand from them for decades and NEVER had a single problem with them). Some of the cheap stuff they do (generally the non-branded stuff) is not worth it but other stuff is great

snowy2 - 18/2/18 at 08:12 AM

My original link has died on how to rewire your car.
its getting updated to include Zetec engine fitting....one day
this is a link to my google drive that gives the article......

How to rewire your car the easy way

A few folks have found it useful and have used it to do their cars on this site....you don't have to do it exactly the way i did it, i just wanted to show how easy it could be. the first car i did this way is still on the road almost 30 years later.

craigdiver - 18/2/18 at 08:36 AM

Take a look at Cableties Direct before you order (http://www.cableties-direct.co.uk)

A bit behind in not having an online ordering system but cheap for a lot of bits you will need and decent quality.

The product catalogue is available online as a PDF document but once you order they will send you a printed copy with your order (or phone them up and ask them to send you a copy).

Cheers

Craig

HAL 1 - 21/2/18 at 06:35 PM

Thanks again for all your help, I'll be studying all the info and going ahead with it.

I've got a copy of your wiring the easy way snowy, ta

I'll be taking a look at the suppliers that Peter and Craig have mentioned so thanks for that chaps.
I'll never know if I can do it if I don't try

Hal