Board logo

No Spark, starting issue!
Meado - 1/9/19 at 08:00 AM

So first off the Engine is 2.0l Pinto with a ballasted coil and if it means anything to you its in a Tiger Cat e1.

So first off I started having issues with the timing slipping and we put this down to the distributor. In the distributor i was able to spin the rotor arm a full 360 and carry on so evidently something not quite right. After reading up I read that AccuSpark distributors were the one to go for so I ordered a electronic ignition one. Simply did a 1 for 1 swap but couldn't get a it to spark/fire. After running a direct leads from Distributor + to coil + and distributor - to coil - it worked absolutely fine. Messed around with the timing and had it running around 12degrees and all seemed ok! Put the bodywork back together and thought i'd turn it over to maker sure everything's still OK, no spark again... Left it for the night and went out to it the next day, out of curiosity i'd see if it would start and it did... Hit and miss sometimes it would sometimes it wouldn't but now we can't get it to start at all. Now assuming something is wrong with the coil I ordered a new AccuSpark blue ballasted coil because the old motorcraft coil is 1.5ohms aswell, no joy with this either... No spark at all still.

Checked over all earth points incase there was something not quite right, brushed them up and made sure all connections are good, still nothing.

So knowing that everything worked before as it was and it was just the timing slipping I put the old distributor/coil back in and still no luck... Now i'm really losing faith. After reading about the ignition module I have no idea how these work/wired but have traced back to the distributor the correct wires and found continuity but voltage (not sure sure if there is supposed to be power here?) Next on my list is to order a new ignition module and see if this works either way round.

Thanks

rusty nuts - 1/9/19 at 09:42 AM

Timing belt failure?

perksy - 1/9/19 at 11:50 AM

Is the right coil fitted for the set up ?

I'd be checking the ignition module as these can work intermittently and also double check all the wiring in the ignition circuit

Happy to be corrected but i thought the Accuspark was an electronic dizzy and did away with the module though ?

Also with removing the distributor a few times you'll already know to make sure that the hexagon drive for the oil pump is fitted under the distributor correctly (one or two folks have forgot this and left it out )

Meado - 3/9/19 at 11:15 AM

Hey Perksy,

Thanks for the reply I was also wondering about the ignition module but AccuSpark couldn't give me an answer over the phone...

In terms of coil i bought both the Red (3ohms) and Blue (1.5ohms for ballast) from AccuSpark and can get neither of them to work...

I even did a new cable run from ignition to coils/distributor as per the AccuSpark guide and still don't get anything, so the next question is does the distributor 'ask' for a spark or is it constantly fed a spark from the coil?

Side question, no connections on the distributor and i try a continuity check on the distributor cables, no continuity so could this point at a bust distributor?

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on with a Electronic Distributor from AccuSpark do you remove the ignition module completely or does it still need it?

Thanks

Schrodinger - 3/9/19 at 05:34 PM

Is the rotor arm turning as you crank the engine?

rusty nuts - 3/9/19 at 06:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
Is the rotor arm turning as you crank the engine?

Hence my question about the timing belt

Meado - 3/9/19 at 06:57 PM

If I hadn't of noticed the arm not spinning or belt was wrong then I shouldn't be even touching the car haha!

Like I said i had it running perfectly but then have just had starting issues...

After some investigation tonight i've proved a spark from the coil by earthing the - but on engine turnover she won't spark... Any enlightenment?

gremlin1234 - 3/9/19 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Meado
If I hadn't of noticed the arm not spinning or belt was wrong then I shouldn't be even touching the car haha!

Like I said i had it running perfectly but then have just had starting issues...

After some investigation tonight i've proved a spark from the coil by earthing the - but on engine turnover she won't spark... Any enlightenment?

if the engine runs ok, but won't start because of no spark, then it will be the starter switch (or associated relay)/ wiring to the coil
the normal running is via a 'ballast' resistor, - sometimes in the loom (on Lucas wiring this is the 'pink wire'
but for starting this is taken out of circuit to give higher voltage to the coil.

in short, try and 'hotwire' the ignition. - just put 12v to the coil+ and hit start. - don't leave it wired like this, because
A you can't turn it off, and
B the coil will fail quite quickly, and
C the battery will go flat.