Board logo

Another Side Repeater Question
the_big_1 - 26/6/20 at 08:32 AM

Hi Guys,

So looking at the IVA Manual, the side repeater viewing angle is 5 - 60 degrees from the rear.
Be within 2600mm of the front of the vehicle.

Do the max and min indicator heights still count?

What issues is there fitting them on scuttles / side panels etc?

Cheers,

40inches - 26/6/20 at 05:23 PM

So looking at the IVA Manual, the side repeater viewing angle is 5 - 60 degrees from the rear.
Be within 2600mm of the front of the vehicle.

That is correct.

Do the max and min indicator heights still count?

I believe so.

What issues is there fitting them on scuttles / side panels etc?

The rear arches will be in the way of the viewing angles.

the_big_1 - 26/6/20 at 05:48 PM

Arrrrrrr that makes sense, i wasn't clear the issue of scuttle mount.
Is there a height to measure the viewing angle from?
Example in my business, machines, the viewing angles are measures from 1000mm. Obviously the higher you stand, the lower the repeaters could be

40inches - 26/6/20 at 07:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by the_big_1
Arrrrrrr that makes sense, i wasn't clear the issue of scuttle mount.
Is there a height to measure the viewing angle from?
Example in my business, machines, the viewing angles are measures from 1000mm. Obviously the higher you stand, the lower the repeaters could be

I think that there is a distance from the rear of the vehicle you take measurements from? It makes the viewing angle very low.
If you do it as others have, who have passed IVA, you can't go wrong

the_big_1 - 26/6/20 at 07:58 PM

Lol i guess its either wing mirror or front mudguard then lol

steve m - 26/6/20 at 08:36 PM

It will have to be a wing mirror repeater that is in the same line as the front mudguard and rear guard

Those wont be mirrors, they would be WINGS

steve

the_big_1 - 26/6/20 at 08:56 PM

What size repeaters have you guys used on the mirrors?
Little choice of mirrors with indicators already fitted

ianhurley20 - 26/6/20 at 09:40 PM

I do wonder if you will ever sort anything out yourself without asking others first

the_big_1 - 26/6/20 at 09:44 PM

I am an engineer. We ask questions, challenge the norm, if we didn't, we would all be sheep doing the same thing. Why have a problem with people who ask if what we are doing is correct?

40inches - 26/6/20 at 10:01 PM

quote:
What size repeaters have you guys used on the mirrors?
Little choice of mirrors with indicators already fitted

I put mine on the rear arches, easy to wire
Description
Description

the_big_1 - 26/6/20 at 10:03 PM

Easy to so, and looking good!

40inches - 26/6/20 at 10:05 PM

quote:
We ask questions, challenge the norm, if we didn't, we would all be sheep doing the same thing.

When you are dealing with a bureaucracy it is always best to approach it from the norm. Saves a lot of pain.

40inches - 26/6/20 at 10:06 PM

quote:
Easy to so, and looking good!

The IVA inspectors thought so
Description
Description

[Edited on 26-6-20 by 40inches]

the_big_1 - 26/6/20 at 10:10 PM

Lol exactly why I asked, I look at laws , regulations ever day, EU, IVA, etc but there is always the question.... are you sure. From a law or regulation prospective, if a requirement can not be met, there is a direction to request a question on the regultation, hence why I asked

40inches - 26/6/20 at 10:13 PM

quote:
Lol exactly why I asked, I look at laws , regulations ever day, EU, IVA, etc but there is always the question.... are you sure. From a law or regulation prospective, if a requirement can not be met, there is a direction to request a question on the regultation, hence why I asked

Very true. The interpretation of the regs seems to vary between testing stations. That's why I always recommend Nottingham.
They use a common sense approach.

the_big_1 - 26/6/20 at 10:14 PM

Lol why i ask, rather have your vast knowledge and experience than what people think. So you fitted your repeaters on the rear arches, looked good too

the_big_1 - 26/6/20 at 10:18 PM

I do law and relations every day besides the norm engineering stuff. If people think regulations are black and white, think again. Even the IVA is not 100% yes or no, ways best to take everyone's interpretation. The best law states "what a normal person would expect....." and what is treated as the nom is best guidance

big_wasa - 27/6/20 at 07:59 AM

The safe place seems to be the rear arch. I put mine there. But don’t think I can with a longer Viento.

I’ve heard of them failing on the front arch because unless the wheels are dead straight you won’t see them there either. The bike mirrors with built in indicators are visible from the front but not the back usually.

As previously said. The exact interpretation of the rules vary between Iva centres.

big_wasa - 27/6/20 at 08:04 AM

Deckman001 - 27/6/20 at 11:54 AM

Caterhams always fit them to the front cycle wing, although they do stand out slightly high, so I am fingers crossed that my side repeaters fitted similar to Caterhams, but am using a slightly smaller LED type repeater like others have fitted to the rear arches.

Jason

ragindave - 29/6/20 at 10:19 PM

Stick them on the cycle wing I have a set of carbon Caterham style pods to go under the headlamps but they are just short of the 400 mm from the widest part of the vehicle for the IVA test so went for cycle wing mounting these should pass.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Pod-Indicators-Motorbike-Quad-Scooter-Fairing-Bodywork-Flush-Mount-STICK-ON/401985738882?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT& amp;_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

indy678
indy678

indy212
indy212