Board logo

Group buy of small headlights?
russbost - 29/5/08 at 08:18 AM

Would anyone be interested in a group buy of the Dominator basemount headlamps?

[img] [/img]

[img]http://[/img]

If I can get half a dozen or more orders together they would be £55 per pair +
P & P £7.50.
They measure 105mm dia, have dip, main & sidelight built in & are available in Chrome or Satin black - I do not believe they can be bought any cheaper than this.
They are sold as "for off road or track use" as they throw a flat beam pattern on dip, with a small modification they will certainly pass an MoT (I've shown the beam pattern produced to 3 separate MoT teters & all agreed they would not question passing it), I've been told that people have got them thro' SVA but haven't yet tried this personally so don't know if that's true or not.

Anyone interested either u2u, email or register your interest below.

[Edited on 29/5/08 by russbost]

[Edited on 29/5/08 by russbost]

dogwood - 29/5/08 at 04:51 PM

Hi
I would be interested in a pair of chrome ones at £55 a pair.
Seem's a good price. Best I've seen is £70 odd.
I'm not in a rush, so can wait till you get enough orders.

David

Pdlewis - 29/5/08 at 05:39 PM

whats the modification they need to get through an MOT

russbost - 29/5/08 at 06:51 PM

"whats the modification they need to get through an MOT"

Having spoken to the SVA people at Chelmsford today I am pretty sure that with the mod you would also get them thro' SVA - they said "if the beam image would pass MoT it should pass SVA, it doesn't matter what information is on the lens" (though these are "E" marked anyway)
Basically the standard beam pattern they throw is described by the manufacturer as "flat" - well, it isn't, it's actually slightly "V" shaped, hence if you file another location slot in the housing & rotate the light 15 degrees clockwise (when viewed from behind) you get a 15 degree "kickup" to the left - exactly as required for MoT. I took the pic below this afternoon of a beam image from a lamp with the mod done - the cross on the board is perfectly level (spirit level checked!)

[img]http://[/img]

I'm intending to post the beam image elsewhere as I'd appreciate input from any MoT testers on here, but I've been testing for 20 years plus & would pass it without a second thought as would the other testers I've already shown it to.

Pdlewis - 29/5/08 at 08:09 PM

Ill have a pair then

Cheers

Paul

dogwood - 1/6/08 at 06:54 AM

Don't forget to givethis a "BUMP" every now and then to keep it live

BUMP

David

dogwood - 8/6/08 at 08:35 AM

Any more news on these lights?

David

russbost - 9/6/08 at 12:46 PM

David
Still hoping for a little more interest - am I missing something here? These lights are smaller, lighter, better looking & cheaper than just about any 7" or 5 & 3/4" lights, I have demonstrated by the beam pattern above which I've posted elsewhere & it has been generally agreed that it will pass MoT & also SVA. I really feel they help to bring a 7 a bit more up to date - am I almost alone in that opinion? I would have thought I would have people hammering the door down for these lights at this price - can someone tell me what I've missed???

dogwood - 10/6/08 at 06:44 AM

Hi Ya

I Don't see you are missing anything.
Well not to me anyway

Just keep bumping it up to the top.
Sooner or later people will see the bargain they have been missing LOL

David

Hellfire - 10/6/08 at 11:48 AM

I guess some people don't like to buy headlights which then have to be stripped down and modified to get the required beam pattern, which then may or may not pass SVA. (Just because one SVA centre may pass them, it doesn't mean that others will too)

Some may prefer headlights that will pass both SVA and MOT straight out of the box. Or are you doing the mod to the lense housing yourself before shipping them out and providing assurances they will pass SVA and MOT?

Others may just prefer the larger diameter headlights.

Personally, I quite like the small diameter headlights but found that the output was nowhere near as bright as the 5.75" units we bought from SVC and the lenses also had the incorrect 'E' mark. (According to an SVA inspector)

Phil

[Edited on 10-6-08 by Hellfire]

russbost - 19/6/08 at 01:22 PM

"I guess some people don't like to buy headlights which then have to be stripped down and modified to get the required beam pattern"

I thought this was the whole Locost philosophy - that you take something & make it do something it perhaps was not initially intended for & save some money by so doing - if we can't manage to undo a screw & a few clips & file a slot then should we be building cars at all???
& no, I wouldn't undertake all the mods myself to earn b*gger all, nor could I absolutely guarantee that any mini hitler MoT or SVA inspector who's having a bad day wouldn't decide to fail lights that should pass - I heard of a Westfield recently failing SVA for having indicators that were too bright!!!
I'll supply the evidence, but it's up to the individual to make a choice of their own.

charlierevell - 1/7/08 at 10:10 PM

Could be interested in this too!

flak monkey - 3/7/08 at 11:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
I heard of a Westfield recently failing SVA for having indicators that were too bright!!!

Failed my SVA first time for that exact reason!

If I didnt already have a good set of headlights then I would be interested. Maybe Matt.c will be interested for post SVA to replace his 7" monster lights