Board logo

Haynes BMW 6pot build back on, at last!!
Nickp - 15/6/15 at 01:21 PM

After 3.5yrs on hold due to a garage extension, MR2 V6 build, Monte engine rebuild etc etc, I'm finally back at the point where I can re-start my Haynes build.

This was where I started back in 2011

http://forum.ppcmag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9383&hilit=roadster&sid=aa7bd3bb9cf213bc283e6e61ff4bf446

Pretty grubby after its lay up-

So a quick was down and dry off in the sun before going back into the garage-

Space cleared and floor painted. Shelves are currently overloaded with the rest of the parts for the build-

All I need now is TIME, oh and a Digidash, exhaust, pedal box etc etc

[Edited on 15/6/15 by Nickp]

kitcardirect - 15/6/15 at 01:39 PM

Hi looking good and great to see you back on track,

If you need any body work, we can supply this, and you can get 10% off the retail with a discount code,

u2u me if you are interested,

Regards
Sean

KCD

Nickp - 15/6/15 at 01:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kitcardirect
Hi looking good and great to see you back on track,

If you need any body work, we can supply this, and you can get 10% off the retail with a discount code,

u2u me if you are interested,

Regards
Sean

KCD

I've got a full set of brand new bodywork already ta, but will be needing plenty of bits and bobs along the way so will bear you in mind

kitcardirect - 15/6/15 at 01:50 PM

no problem

best of luck with the build, should be a nice car with that engine in,

Cheers
sean
KCD

Badger_McLetcher - 15/6/15 at 06:04 PM

Awesome to see you're back on it! I've since chosen to go a different way (V6) but there's anything I can help with give me a yell.

Nickp - 15/6/15 at 06:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
Awesome to see you're back on it! I've since chosen to go a different way (V6) but there's anything I can help with give me a yell.

Cheers fella

Nickp - 15/6/15 at 06:26 PM

And so it begins....again...

SteveWallace - 15/6/15 at 06:38 PM

Good to see that your build is back on track. If you need any advice on the BMW lump that might stop you tearing your hair out at the same points in the build as I did, just let me know.

After a year of having the car on the road, I can confirm that its a great engine choice. I've still not got around to doing the M50 manifold conversion though - a job for next winter.

[Edited on 15/6/15 by SteveWallace]

Nickp - 15/6/15 at 06:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
Good to see that your build is back on track. If you need any advice on the BMW lump that might stop you tearing your hair out at the same points in the build as I did, just let me know.

After a year of having the car on the road, I can confirm that its a great engine choice. I've still not got around to doing the M50 manifold conversion though - a job for next winter.

[Edited on 15/6/15 by SteveWallace]

Ta Steve, will do.
Hope the M50 conversion is easier to do with the engine in a kit cos it's a PITA in a BMW!!

rodgling - 15/6/15 at 07:54 PM

It's not particularly hard but I have to say I didn't feel it was worth the effort/cost when I had a 328 in mine.

Nickp - 16/6/15 at 05:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
It's not particularly hard but I have to say I didn't feel it was worth the effort/cost when I had a 328 in mine.

I found it more fiddly than hard and it certainly took a lot longer to do than it first appeared it would. My manifold was free of a mate so can't really comment on cost TBH. I fitted a 'remapped' ECU (ABS/EWS deleted too) at the same time and really noticed the difference when it was in the old 328i but maybe that was because the car was heavy and really needed the extra poke? I've not driven one yet but I'm guessing the 328i lump in a '7' will be pretty mental even in std form?

Nickp - 16/6/15 at 03:44 PM

Thought I'd trial fit the front bodywork for inspiration-

rodgling - 16/6/15 at 07:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
quote:

I found it more fiddly than hard and it certainly took a lot longer to do than it first appeared it would. My manifold was free of a mate so can't really comment on cost TBH. I fitted a 'remapped' ECU (ABS/EWS deleted too) at the same time and really noticed the difference when it was in the old 328i but maybe that was because the car was heavy and really needed the extra poke? I've not driven one yet but I'm guessing the 328i lump in a '7' will be pretty mental even in std form?

Yeah it is pretty quick, and an M3 will drop in when you need more :-)

With a remapped ECU the manifold might be a good option - I had a standard ECU and found the dip in torque more noticeable than the increase in power, but I think the remap should fix this. You'll definitely want an ECU that has the redline raised from the standard 6200 though.

Nickp - 16/6/15 at 07:41 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah it is pretty quick, and an M3 will drop in when you need more :-)

With a remapped ECU the manifold might be a good option - I had a standard ECU and found the dip in torque more noticeable than the increase in power, but I think the remap should fix this. You'll definitely want an ECU that has the redline raised from the standard 6200 though.

Yeah my rev-limit was raised to 7krpm at the same time as the remap and the real difference is the extra pull from 5-7krpm where the std 'skinny runner' inlet manifold holds it back. Deffo a worthwhile mod in my book especially if the car's used on track where the extra revs will come in handy

rodgling - 16/6/15 at 07:45 PM

Yeah, let me know if you figure out how to make it quiet enough to go on track :-) Mine is pretty borderline even with an 8" can. Possibly being on TBs makes it worse though?

Nickp - 16/6/15 at 07:48 PM

quote:
Yeah, let me know if you figure out how to make it quiet enough to go on track :-) Mine is pretty borderline even with an 8" can. Possibly being on TBs makes it worse though?

Hmmm, could be a while before I can help with that mate.

Nickp - 22/6/15 at 12:08 PM

Settled on a single welded in brace at the front of the seats to prevent any potential flexing in the middle of the floor and protect the leading edge of my arse!!

One floor panel cut to size, just waiting for the 4mm stainless rivets to arrive-

benedwards64 - 29/6/15 at 03:26 PM

Hello Nick! Will be watching with interest

Nickp - 6/7/15 at 04:21 PM

Drivers side floor now finished and seat trial fitted into position. Feels nice and solid

Time to start on the passenger side now I'm happy the floor is nice and solid.

Nickp - 7/7/15 at 08:12 PM

Thought I'd replace the sticky old bush in the steering column while I was on with sorting the seating position. Nice shiny self centering bearing and all spins nice and freely now

Nickp - 9/7/15 at 07:18 PM

Got both side floors fixed in now and both seats trial fitted. A little low at present but easily remedied with some spacers once I know the height of the seat belt mountings on the rear rollbar-

Nickp - 26/7/15 at 06:35 PM

Productive weekend in the 'man cave'.

Engine successfully lowered to clear the bodywork. Engine mounts chopped and tacked in new position. Gearbox mount totally remade.

Sump now chopped to get some ground clearance back.

Additional engine bay brace added, leaving just enough room for the alternator.

Strengthening web added to replace brace bar that was removed to allow engine to fit.

Nickp - 27/7/15 at 07:43 PM

An evenings tinkering has seen the gear-change sorted.

The rear 'spike' of the original BMW gear linkage slots into a nylon / plastic bush I drilled out to size. The bush slots nicely into a piece of tube I found which in turn was welded onto a piece of bar. Tabs were welded onto the chassis and drilled through to bolt the bar onto. Gearstick now falls neatly to hand when seated and clears the dashboard too

Nickp - 3/8/15 at 04:40 PM

Sump's now finished. Just need to measure how much capacity I've lost. I intend to fit a big oil cooler (possibly 30 row) to gain a bit of capacity back and keep cool what I do have.

Nickp - 3/8/15 at 04:50 PM

Been looking at exhaust manifold routing. The rear one clashes with the bulkhead and wants to be where the master cylinders want to be too. So I've turned it upside down, chopped the end off and re-positioned it so the lambda sensor no longer hits the head. It should now poke out the side of the bonnet and I can turn the front one to poke out of the side panel just below it. Hopefully it should work but I'm just tacking it together for now until I have a final plan for the exhaust.

Nickp - 3/8/15 at 05:54 PM

quote:
Sump's now finished. Just need to measure how much capacity I've lost. I intend to fit a big oil cooler (possibly 30 row) to gain a bit of capacity back and keep cool what I do have.

Looks like the sump now holds about 4-4.5 litres, which I reckon will be fine with a good sized oil cooler

Had it installed and it sits 35-40mm below the bottom rails. I reckon that's a decent compromise, just need to sort a sturdy sump guard for it.

[Edited on 4/8/15 by Nickp]

dave_424 - 3/8/15 at 08:42 PM

One thing to note, is that a lambda sensor shouldn't be pointed up like in your picture because condensation can collect and run down into the sensor causing it to fail. The build looks like it's going great

Nickp - 3/8/15 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dave_424
One thing to note, is that a lambda sensor shouldn't be pointed up like in your picture because condensation can collect and run down into the sensor causing it to fail.

Ta for the tip, I'll bear it in mind

Nickp - 4/8/15 at 09:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dave_424
One thing to note, is that a lambda sensor shouldn't be pointed up like in your picture because condensation can collect and run down into the sensor causing it to fail. The build looks like it's going great

Is this more acceptable? It's as near to level as I could get it-

dave_424 - 4/8/15 at 11:26 AM

Certainly better than before, if it becomes a problem in the future you can just relocate it to another place where you can have it more upright

CTLeeds - 7/8/15 at 09:05 AM

Hi Nick, I'm following your build with real interest! I'm embarking on a Dax Rush build using the same engine so really keen to see how you get on. Have you had the engine running at all since it was extracted from the donor?

Regards,

Chris

Nickp - 8/8/15 at 05:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CTLeeds
Hi Nick, I'm following your build with real interest! I'm embarking on a Dax Rush build using the same engine so really keen to see how you get on. Have you had the engine running at all since it was extracted from the donor?

Regards,

Chris

No it hasn't run yet but I have a pretty simple wiring diagram that should remedy that.

DRM Black7 - 8/8/15 at 06:19 PM

quote:

Regards,

Chris

Sorry to hijack the thread, can you still get Dax Rush body work etc?

CTLeeds - 14/8/15 at 05:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DRM Black7
quote:

Regards,

Chris

Sorry to hijack the thread, can you still get Dax Rush body work etc?

Hi, The Dax Rush project was bought by a company in Leeds called MAN Motorsport. They have had the project for a little while and are nearly ready to release it to the market officially. Their new demonstrator has an E46 M3 engine in it and promises to be a bit of a beast! They are updating the project to be based around a BMW E46 donor but will take any engine using a new sub frame design for the chassis. The new chassis design is 20% lighter and 30% stiffer than the original Dax design using all round tube. They do have the jigs and moulds and may have some spare parts that you need, they got a lot of stuff from Harlow. It's worth giving Matt Pett a ring on 0113 287 7619 if you need anything as he'll be able to tell you exactly what's what. I know he's a bit snowed under trying to get old Dax customers sorted before he can concentrate on new business.

Cheers

CTLeeds - 19/8/15 at 08:34 PM

quote:
quote:

Regards,

Chris

No it hasn't run yet but I have a pretty simple wiring diagram that should remedy that.

Hi Nick, any chance I could get a sneaky peak at your wiring diagram?

Thanks,

Chris

Nickp - 7/9/15 at 07:23 AM

I've had to remove the 2 rear frame support tubes due to the width of my fuel tank. So I'm adding these 2 extra ones which should also add a bit of protection to the foam filled tank too.

Also added an extra tube brace across the top rail, 2 bolt on cross braces to bolt a sump guard to, welded up the new lower engine mounts and sorted the rad mounts too

MBrown - 7/9/15 at 10:21 AM

quote:
I've had to remove the 2 rear frame support tubes due to the width of my fuel tank. So I'm adding these 2 extra ones which should also add a bit of protection to the foam filled tank too.

Also added an extra tube brace across the top rail, 2 bolt on cross braces to bolt a sump guard to, welded up the new lower engine mounts and sorted the rad mounts too

I recognise that idea of a longer fuel tank and those bracing bars from somewhere......lol - our builds are turning out so similar!

I also put an additional 2 pieces of box section to support those bracing bars and the steel plate they join to, which are difficult to see in my above pic but you can see them below

[Edited on 7/9/15 by MBrown]

Nickp - 7/9/15 at 10:27 AM

Ha ha, I hadn't seen yours. Great minds think alike eh?

I'm fancying the Equinox 'boot with lid', not the cheapest solution but it does look neat - http://equinoxproducts.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63
I've emailed them for dimensions to make sure it clears everything including the tank.

[Edited on 7/9/15 by Nickp]

MBrown - 7/9/15 at 10:35 AM

quote:
Ha ha, I hadn't seen yours. Great minds think alike eh?

I'm fancying the Equinox 'boot with lid', not the cheapest solution but it does look neat - http://equinoxproducts.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63
I've emailed them for dimensions to make sure it clears everything including the tank.

[Edited on 7/9/15 by Nickp]

I'd definately recommend it! See below

MBrown - 7/9/15 at 10:41 AM

I still need to do a little bit to the boot for it to fit but once in I will have approx 1.5-2cm clearance from RS11/RS12/RS6 and D12 - hope that helps

Nickp - 7/9/15 at 10:58 AM

Ah cool, didn't realise you had one. How deep is it?

MBrown - 7/9/15 at 11:14 AM

The boots usable space space is 24cm deep x 36cm x 56.5. It looks like a good size for a haynes

Nickp - 7/9/15 at 11:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MBrown
The boots usable space space is 24cm deep x 36cm x 56.5. It looks like a good size for a haynes

I'm wondering if it'll clear my filler neck? I think not

MBrown - 7/9/15 at 12:09 PM

From looking at yours I don't think it will clear the filler neck, that is the reason I went with a longer tank so I could put the filler and fuel sender at the ends to avoid the boot.

To change your tank would be a pain, or to block off and put the fuel filler towards one end would probably ruin your tank as the finish is so nice. You could always put a 90 degree on the fuel filler so it comes out the back then amend the boot space slightly to accommodate it

Nickp - 7/9/15 at 12:20 PM

Hmmm, bit of a qwandry. I could do with trying one to see if it'll be do-able before splashing the cash. Whereabouts are you based? Nowhere near Barnsley I'll bet

MBrown - 7/9/15 at 12:59 PM

Unfortunately not, I'm near Milton Keynes - i wonder if Equinox have a full diagram of dimensions so you can have a better idea

Nickp - 19/9/15 at 03:51 PM

Rear roll bar made and primed-

Still deciding what to do for the rear seatbelt mounts. I'll probably put a cross piece between the bottom of the roll bar legs. Am I right in thinking that std 25mm chassis tube won't be strong enough over such a span? I might get another piece of the 40mm box that I used for the rear supports and weld 4 crush tubes into it.

Nickp - 27/9/15 at 01:37 PM

Rear tub and one side panel roughly fitted. Wasn't keen chopping lumps and holes out of these nice new panels but I'm starting to get over these jitters I think now
Got to say this Equinox bodywork is very sturdy and well made

Nickp - 30/11/15 at 07:37 AM

Added the remaining fixed chassis panels before it all gets painted next-

Looking forward to getting some paint on it and finally get it rolling

Nickp - 30/11/15 at 05:24 PM

Pedal box trial fitted-

Shiny!!

Nickp - 4/12/15 at 12:04 PM

Chassis all painted now, best I start bolting stuff to it

Nickp - 9/12/15 at 12:39 PM

Bit more progress

Idea is to get it rolling so I can get it under the engine hoist. Then it's engine / box in so I can measure up for prop and work out routes for brake and fuel lines. Haven't painted the front wishbones yet as these'll be coming back off (to fit side panels) but have painted the rears as I'm hoping these will stay on.

C/W brumming noises-

Diff's in!! That was fun on my own!! Trying to hold and balance it in place with one hand while I slipped the first bolt in.

[Edited on 9/12/15 by Nickp]

rodgling - 9/12/15 at 03:11 PM

Not using the BMW diff then? Will the Sierra (?) diff take the torque?

Nickp - 9/12/15 at 04:25 PM

quote:
Not using the BMW diff then? Will the Sierra (?) diff take the torque?

It'll have 2 choices
Chassis was already made for the diff and it came with a 3.62 LSD so it had to go in really, hadn't considered doing it any other way tbh. If it's half the weight of a Sierra then surely it'll be OK as I'm 'only' using the 328i (not M3) lump?

Nickp - 10/12/15 at 04:17 PM

Momentous moment, car sits on all fours for the very first time!!

Nickp - 18/12/15 at 07:13 PM

Car's been up and down the drive today to turn it around

Engine in next...

[Edited on 18/12/15 by Nickp]

rodgling - 19/12/15 at 12:35 AM

Before the engine goes in, I'd be interested to know what it weighs, if you have some scales handy?

Nickp - 19/12/15 at 07:01 AM

quote:
Before the engine goes in, I'd be interested to know what it weighs, if you have some scales handy?

I haven't unfortunately Anyone local lend me some maybe?

It's not light but it must be a far bit lighter than the M3/M50 iron blocked versions. I stripped a spare one down to a bare block last week and it was impressively light to the point where I could easily walk along swinging it in one hand. Imagine doing that with a 6 pot pig iron block? Various sources seem to put the alloy blocked M52 around 118kg (18kg or so lighter than the iron blocked M50). The 2.0 Pinto that the car was designed for seems to be around the 135kg mark so it would appear that I'm actually loosing some weight by adding 2 pots The way I'm mounting the engine should be good for weight distribution too. The rear of the head will be right back against the bulkhead with the bell housing completely in the tunnel. 4 pots I've seen seem to have the bell housing out into the engine bay and the front of the engine in a similar position to my 6 pot. This is only possible due to the short stumpy nature of the BMW Getrag box.

Nickp - 21/12/15 at 06:18 PM

Engine slotted back in nicely

Rosco86 - 22/12/15 at 09:44 AM

looking scary but good!

SteveWallace - 22/12/15 at 12:32 PM

That's looking really nice

WRT choice of diff, I would have thought that the Sierra one would be up to the job. At least, I have a Sierra LSD in my Viento with the same engine and it hasn't let go yet, and they could cope with the Sierra Cosworth lumps.

Nickp - 22/12/15 at 05:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
looking scary but good!

No scarier than your BEC equivalent

Nickp - 22/12/15 at 05:21 PM

quote:
That's looking really nice

WRT choice of diff, I would have thought that the Sierra one would be up to the job. At least, I have a Sierra LSD in my Viento with the same engine and it hasn't let go yet, and they could cope with the Sierra Cosworth lumps.

Ta Steve, it's really come together over the last few weeks. Things will slow down considerably when I go back to work in January

I reckon the diff'll be fine too.

Nickp - 22/12/15 at 05:23 PM

Managed to get the nose cone and scuttle properly fixed in place for the first time, along with a few other little jobs

Before it swaps places with the Z4 again I want to get the handbrake working as its last trip down my rather steep drive was a bit dodgy, and that was before I put the rather heavy engine in

[Edited on 22/12/15 by Nickp]

turbo77 - 4/1/16 at 01:27 PM

It looks like i have to cut my sump toooo

CTLeeds - 12/1/16 at 10:24 PM

Hi Nick, what's your plan regarding the air intake? It's something I've been pondering for a while. If your using the BMW DME then you need the MAF sensor which is a bit bulky and will fowl the bonnet I think.

Interested to know your thoughts.

Regards,

Chris

froggy - 12/1/16 at 11:01 PM

Those from shocks look a bit stiff for that flimsy chassis

rodgling - 12/1/16 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Hi Nick, what's your plan regarding the air intake? It's something I've been pondering for a while. If your using the BMW DME then you need the MAF sensor which is a bit bulky and will fowl the bonnet I think.

It should run fine (maybe won't pass emissions though) without a MAF.

Nickp - 13/1/16 at 04:28 AM

quote:

Interested to know your thoughts.

Regards,

Chris

I think there should be enough space, although I haven't actually tried it yet. The throttle body is quite close to the bonnet but I don't plan to run the 2nd throttle flap, which was for the traction control, as this is deleted from the ECU anyhow. So hopefully a 90deg silicone bend will attach the main TB to the MAF and either run forwards if there's enough room or backwards and into an airbox if there isn't.

Nickp - 13/1/16 at 04:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by froggy
Those from shocks look a bit stiff for that flimsy chassis

You're right Dave

Nickp - 11/2/16 at 09:05 PM

After many weeks of Z4 tinkering the Haynes is finally back in the 'build area'.

Prop, gear change and handbrake all connected up and working.

Nickp - 15/2/16 at 10:21 AM

Looking to use this modified (bigger 2.5" inlet) Aprilia Mille can. Might fit a removeable baffle at its inlet if it's a bit fruity

Prop catcher done now too-

Dudefladge - 12/3/16 at 11:13 PM

Hey Nick,

Is your chassis the standard Haynes "Book" dimensions?

Rob

Nickp - 13/3/16 at 10:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dudefladge
Hey Nick,

Is your chassis the standard Haynes "Book" dimensions?

Rob

Yes it is.

Dudefladge - 13/3/16 at 10:26 AM

Thanks! It gives me hope that I'll be able to fit my Chrysler Slant 6.

Nickp - 22/3/16 at 06:13 PM

Bulkhead panels now in place-

CTLeeds - 22/3/16 at 08:19 PM

Looking good Nick, nearly there!

Nickp - 22/3/16 at 08:41 PM

quote:
Looking good Nick, nearly there!

I wish mate!!

Nickp - 30/3/16 at 08:45 PM

Started mocking up the exhaust today. Pig of a job TBH, but if it was easy everyone would be doing it

Bit close to the master cylinders etc, but nothing a heat shield and some heat wrap can't sort I reckon.

Nickp - 7/4/16 at 06:01 AM

Manifolds and downpipe all tacked in place. Just need a Sports Cat to go between this and the silencer.

Nickp - 2/11/16 at 09:32 PM

Serious lack of updates on here on my part I'm afraid but I have been steadily beavering away and this is where the build's at now-

Next major hurdle is the wiring!! Loom's all laid out just need to start connecting stuff and apply some power!!

Exhaust is the only other big job I think

Badger_McLetcher - 2/11/16 at 11:15 PM

Good to see you still going at it mate, it looks very nice!

Nickp - 3/11/16 at 06:00 AM

quote:
Good to see you still going at it mate, it looks very nice!

Thanks mate, it's getting there. Hopefully it'll be finished off over the winter #famouslastwords

Rosco86 - 3/11/16 at 02:48 PM

looking good, nice and tidy, where did you get that aero screen from?

Nickp - 4/11/16 at 08:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
looking good, nice and tidy, where did you get that aero screen from?

Cheers fella, it's not as tidy as yours but not too bad for a lad in a shed

The aero screen was 2nd hand off a member on here IIRC, no idea where it was bought new tbh.

Nickp - 16/11/16 at 09:46 PM

Been busy working and buying / tinkering with the RX8 track toy but got into the garage for a bit tonight.

Cat' and silencer trial fitted and tacked in place-

SteveWallace - 17/11/16 at 09:45 AM

That's looking really nice. A brief observation, but I'm sure that you have it in hand - the end of your exhaust system doesn't look like it has a rolled edge, that would be an IVA fail. Also, watch how you position the mounting clamps for the same reason.

BTW I must make more effort to get to some track days next year, unfortunately, all of the LCB Blyton ones this year fell on days that I couldn't make.

Nickp - 18/11/16 at 07:42 PM

quote:
That's looking really nice. A brief observation, but I'm sure that you have it in hand - the end of your exhaust system doesn't look like it has a rolled edge, that would be an IVA fail. Also, watch how you position the mounting clamps for the same reason.

BTW I must make more effort to get to some track days next year, unfortunately, all of the LCB Blyton ones this year fell on days that I couldn't make.

Cheers Steve, yes it will be getting a rolled edge and the joints will just be welded to get through the IVA. This was just to get something on there ready for the big fire up

Nickp - 8/12/16 at 10:22 PM

IT'S ALIVE!!

[IMG]http://i723.photobucket.com/ albums/ww236/enicpic/th_15137823_214395992347877_2159729325610369024_n_zpsdv24sgra.mp4[/IMG]

Badger_McLetcher - 8/12/16 at 11:16 PM

Nice

Toprivetguns - 9/12/16 at 06:08 AM

Keep going. Book an IVA date and it will give you something to aim for.

Looks great !

Nickp - 9/12/16 at 07:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
Keep going. Book an IVA date and it will give you something to aim for.

Looks great !

Thanks, there's still a lot of 'finishing off' to do. Looking at a spring IVA, what is the waiting time? Or does it vary depending on where it's done? Is there a current list of testing stations?

Nickp - 9/12/16 at 07:40 AM

quote:
Nice

Started first time once I'd realised I had a 'spare' relay socket and a 'spare' relay In my defence the engine / loom did come out of the donor about 18mths ago.

The fuel pumps were priming when the ignition went on must must've stopped when cranking. After some fuel pump testing I realised something else was wrong, popped in a spare relay to try and VRRROOOMMMMM!!

Nickp - 9/12/16 at 10:39 PM

Just had a pretty major panic on today. Let engine warm up a bit after last nights brief start up. As it warmed it started ticking and squealing which then turned into a full on knock!! I had visions of having to remove the sump, which is basically an engine out job and a major PITA in such a tight chassis. However, a mate with experience on this engine (in his E30) came to the rescue by asking if I'd removed the A/C pulley off the main crank pulley but used the same bolts? Turned out I had and as it warmed each bolt end just clipped the timing cover and sounded horrendous. I knew it wasn't big ends but it sounded very similar tbh. I suppose it would've eventually cleared itself as the ally cover wore away but it was much easier to grind a couple of mm's off each bolt. PHEW!!

Sounds sweet as a nut now and has a lovely bass note to the 2.5" single silencer

[Edited on 9/12/16 by Nickp]

Charlie C - 10/12/16 at 07:02 AM

Hi

Just as a heads up my roadster has a simular obp brake res bracket as yours and it failed it's iva a couple of weeks ago because the examiner said it wasn't strong enough. All I needed to do was to add a couple of support brakets at either end.

[Edited on 10/12/16 by Charlie C]

Nickp - 10/12/16 at 08:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie C
Hi

Just as a heads up my roadster has a simular obp brake res bracket as yours and it failed it's iva a couple of weeks ago because the examiner said it wasn't strong enough. All I needs to do was to a a couple of support brakets at eithe end.

Not strong enough to support the reservoirs it's design to support? Really? Pretty sure mine's stainless and pretty thick stuff at that.
Not something I'd even considered to be an issue but thanks for the heads up

Nickp - 15/12/16 at 04:57 PM

Cracking on with the electrics now. Front lights all working from stalks. Engine starts on the key, which is part of the issue as I can't resist firing it up every time I go in as it sounds soooo sweeeet!!

[IMG]http://i723.photobucket.com /albums/ww236/enicpic/th_15531885_1729071057419571_4263993211631960064_n_zpszmalydfh.mp4[/IMG]

CTLeeds - 16/12/16 at 02:24 PM

quote:
Just had a pretty major panic on today. Let engine warm up a bit after last nights brief start up. As it warmed it started ticking and squealing which then turned into a full on knock!! I had visions of having to remove the sump, which is basically an engine out job and a major PITA in such a tight chassis. However, a mate with experience on this engine (in his E30) came to the rescue by asking if I'd removed the A/C pulley off the main crank pulley but used the same bolts? Turned out I had and as it warmed each bolt end just clipped the timing cover and sounded horrendous. I knew it wasn't big ends but it sounded very similar tbh. I suppose it would've eventually cleared itself as the ally cover wore away but it was much easier to grind a couple of mm's off each bolt. PHEW!!

Sounds sweet as a nut now and has a lovely bass note to the 2.5" single silencer

Good info Nick. I've done exactly the same and I'm close to firing mine up as well! I guess I'll get the bolts out and shorten them a tads.

Thanks

Chris

rodgling - 16/12/16 at 03:10 PM

It is a nice sounding engine... have you tried firing it up without a silencer at all? It sounds brilliant, if a little loud.

FWIW I had major difficulties passing noise tests on trackdays until I fitted a second silencer under the fuel tank, this is something to consider if you want to do trackdays.

Nickp - 16/12/16 at 03:31 PM

quote:
quote:

Good info Nick. I've done exactly the same and I'm close to firing mine up as well! I guess I'll get the bolts out and shorten them a tads.

Thanks

Chris

Ha ha, nice one!! Yeah they only need a couple of mm grinding off 'em

Nickp - 4/1/17 at 08:02 PM

Another milestone passed as the car moved under its own steam for the very first time this evening. Only a few feet forward and back for now but still pretty chuffed tbh

gary gsx - 4/1/17 at 08:33 PM

Looking great mate what make is body work?

Gary

Nickp - 4/1/17 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gary gsx
Looking great mate what make is body work?

Gary

Equinox. Got lucky and bought it off a lad on here. It was brand new but his project had stalled. Had to drive North of Edinburgh for it but it was a bargain!!

gary gsx - 4/1/17 at 08:42 PM

Happy days!!! That's certainly going to be entertaining to drive..

Gary

Nickp - 4/1/17 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gary gsx
That's certainly going to be entertaining to drive..

That's the plan

Nickp - 23/1/17 at 05:51 PM

Bought some cheap 200kg scales to weigh the car for IVA axle weights and my own curiosity.
Came in at 632.9KG 'wet'. Pretty pleased with that TBH given the size of the engine/box.
Decent balance too considering I haven't touched the spring platforms with 51/49% front/rear balance.

CTLeeds - 24/1/17 at 02:15 PM

This is great news Nick. I've been trying to guesstimate how much my tubular chassis with the BMW lump in was going to weigh all in and this is definitely positive. Should go like sh*t of a shovel! The balance looks great too, a bit of tweaking of the suspension and hopefully you'll get the balance spot on.

Nickp - 24/1/17 at 03:12 PM

quote:
This is great news Nick. I've been trying to guesstimate how much my tubular chassis with the BMW lump in was going to weigh all in and this is definitely positive. Should go like sh*t of a shovel! The balance looks great too, a bit of tweaking of the suspension and hopefully you'll get the balance spot on.

Cheers, yeah TBH if I'd been aiming for 'ultimate lightness' for the track I reckon I could've got it under 600kg fairly easily. But it's been built as an all rounder really and will probably become more road / euro touring orientated as me and it get older

I was worried that the OSF was going to be the heavy corner by a lot more than it actually is because of the engine leaning over that way and all the ancillaries including exhaust been that side too, but I'm pretty happy how this first 'rough' measurement went

Nickp - 5/2/17 at 07:19 AM

Best I get that IVA booked-

Nickp - 5/2/17 at 01:55 PM

bonzoronnie - 5/2/17 at 03:15 PM

Looking very smart indeed .

You must be sooo close to being IVA ready.

Nickp - 5/2/17 at 03:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bonzoronnie
Looking very smart indeed .

You must be sooo close to being IVA ready.

Yep, just been filling the form in
Gonna give myself a couple of weeks 'tinkering time' to go through the manual and see what I've missed

Nickp - 8/2/17 at 08:54 AM

Sending off the IVA paperwork today so thought I'd do an estimate of the build cost.

It's been built over a 5yr period, with a 3yr(ish) gap in the middle. But that meant that I've been able to collect bits at the right price as I've gone along, used and new offers etc.

This is never going to be totally accurate but I do think it's in the ballpark and realistic.

I reckon I'll be on the road for sub £5K.

Chassis, wishbones, hubs, diff, fuel tank, column etc etc - £600
Body, seats - £450
Engine, box, ECU - £400
Pedalbox - £330
Wheels, tyres - £250
Brake parts - £200
Prop - £200
Speedo- £200
Clutch, E30 flywheel/starter - £150
Steering parts - £150
Shocks, springs - £150
Cooling, rad, fan, pipes etc - £150
Dash - £80
Belts - £50
Roll bar - £50
Bodytrim, aero, mirrors etc £150
Fuel parts - £150
Lights - £100
Loom - £50
Exhaust - £250
Nuts bolts fastenings etc - £150
Paints etc- £50

£4110 in parts to build

£450 to IVA

£? to register, tax, insure.

[Edited on 8/2/17 by Nickp]

David Jenkins - 8/2/17 at 10:52 AM

Have you got red reflectors on the back? If you have, I can't see them!

Nickp - 8/2/17 at 11:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Have you got red reflectors on the back? If you have, I can't see them!

Hey, good spot!! Yes I'd forgotten about those. I actually ordered them from CBS but they were missing from the order!!

David Jenkins - 8/2/17 at 12:27 PM

Well, that's my good deed done for the day!

Nickp - 8/2/17 at 12:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Well, that's my good deed done for the day!

Yeah cheers DJ, it's often the most obvious things that get missed.

ReMan - 8/2/17 at 03:58 PM

That looks realy nicely done. White is still the new black too

Nickp - 8/2/17 at 04:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
White is still the new black too

Phew, glad to hear that

nick205 - 8/2/17 at 05:12 PM

Nice looking car

Nickp - 9/2/17 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Nice looking car

Why thankyou sir

The plan was always to add vinyl stripes / designs to suit my mood but I'm really liking the squeaky clean whiteness of it at the moment

Nickp - 13/2/17 at 05:33 PM

Reflectors added, thanks for the reminder DJ

CTLeeds - 14/2/17 at 02:25 PM

Looks brilliant Nick, well done!

Can I ask if you had any issues getting the engine going? I'm getting close to that stage(although I've been saying that for a while) and any pointers would be really appreciated. I've already reduced the length of the bolts to avoid any interference with the timing chain case...

Thanks,

Chris

CTLeeds - 14/2/17 at 02:28 PM

Also, in addition to the above, do you have any side repeaters for the front indicators?

Cheers

Nickp - 14/2/17 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Also, in addition to the above, do you have any side repeaters for the front indicators?

Cheers [/quote

On the rear arches, just inside the permitted distance from the front of the car.

CTLeeds - 14/2/17 at 03:06 PM

Oh yes, nice...

Anything regards getting the engine going?

Cheers

Nickp - 14/2/17 at 03:13 PM

quote:
Oh yes, nice...

Anything regards getting the engine going?

Cheers

Not really, was a doddle tbh.

CTLeeds - 14/2/17 at 03:18 PM

Cool. Good luck with the IVA. Where have you applied to get it done?

Nickp - 14/2/17 at 04:04 PM

quote:

Notts hopefully

[Edited on 14/2/17 by Nickp]

SteveWallace - 14/2/17 at 09:58 PM

quote:
quote:

Notts hopefully

That looks like a really nice build. Can't wait to see it on the track.

I only live a couple of miles from the Nottingham IVA centre, so if you need a hand or just some company on the day, let me know and I'll come along if I can. I can chuck a few bits and pieces in the back of the car in case any running modifications are needed on the day to get it through. The Nottingham testers are really helpful though and will do all they can to get if through but without compromising on the test standards.

Nickp - 15/2/17 at 04:55 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Notts hopefully

That looks like a really nice build. Can't wait to see it on the track.

I only live a couple of miles from the Nottingham IVA centre, so if you need a hand or just some company on the day, let me know and I'll come along if I can. I can chuck a few bits and pieces in the back of the car in case any running modifications are needed on the day to get it through. The Nottingham testers are really helpful though and will do all they can to get if through but without compromising on the test standards.

Cheers Steve much appreciated.

jps - 15/2/17 at 03:33 PM

Great looking build - i have white Equinox bodywork too - nice to see it's going to look good!!!

quote:

I like the way you've kept the maximum of material when cutting out the side panels for the front suspension mounts etc - did you do anything to brace the GRP - especially the bet between the headlamp mount and the nosecone? I want to do the same but it all seems flimsy now i've cut out for the shock and the front upper suspension mount.

Also - did you have any trouble getting the side panels on? Mine (also Equinox) are too tight in places so i'm seeing how others have dealt with any problems.

Nickp - 15/2/17 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
Great looking build - i have white Equinox bodywork too - nice to see it's going to look good!!!

quote:

I like the way you've kept the maximum of material when cutting out the side panels for the front suspension mounts etc - did you do anything to brace the GRP - especially the bet between the headlamp mount and the nosecone? I want to do the same but it all seems flimsy now i've cut out for the shock and the front upper suspension mount.

Also - did you have any trouble getting the side panels on? Mine (also Equinox) are too tight in places so i'm seeing how others have dealt with any problems.

Thanks yes white is the best colour!!
I've got 4 rivnuts in the top chassis rails, one just in front and one just behind the headlamp mounts either side. Allen bolts then go through the nose cone and secure through the side panels making it all nice and secure. There's also 2 more fixings at the bottom of the nose cone back to the chassis. If you're not sure I'll get some pics for you.
My side panels were very tight too, but don't force them as I ended up with a couple of micro crack's in the gel coat. Just use a flap wheel in the grinder to take off the fibreglass matting texture top and bottom until it goes on easier.

jps - 15/2/17 at 06:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nickpdon't force them as I ended up with a couple of micro crack's in the gel coat.

Yep - already did that :-( I was too keen to see it in situ!!!!

Cheers for the other info - I hadn't thought of bolting through the 'cone and side panel in one - makes great sense. I am planning on using a piece of angle aluminium riveted to the bottom of the front rail to secure the bottom of the nose-cone, sounds like you've done similar but if you have got a pic it'd be great.
Cheers!

Nickp - 15/2/17 at 06:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by Nickpdon't force them as I ended up with a couple of micro crack's in the gel coat.

Yep - already did that :-( I was too keen to see it in situ!!!!

Cheers for the other info - I hadn't thought of bolting through the 'cone and side panel in one - makes great sense. I am planning on using a piece of angle aluminium riveted to the bottom of the front rail to secure the bottom of the nose-cone, sounds like you've done similar but if you have got a pic it'd be great.
Cheers!

My bottom nose cone fixings are 2 small 90deg alloy angles. They slot between the bottom rail and the bottom front of the side panel with 2 allen bolts clamping the lot into rivnuts again, works really well and holds everything together nicely

Nickp - 16/2/17 at 08:16 PM

Your application for Individual Vehicle Approval has been accepted for assessment.

Vehicle Identification Number: DVLASWA...................

#thisshitshappening

Nickp - 18/2/17 at 03:05 PM

Just took it up the road to make sure the speedo works and the thing actually stops, all Ok there

Was quite surprised when I changed from first to second and it just smoked the rear tyres!! Oh yes, I reckon it's gonna be a beast

Think I might be needing some stickier rubber sooner rather than later

[Edited on 18/2/17 by Nickp]

bonzoronnie - 18/2/17 at 03:36 PM

Guess with that engine you'll be able to light up the rear in most gears.

Great to read that the IVA process is well under way, no doubt you will have a test date in the very near future.

Nickp - 18/2/17 at 04:16 PM

quote:
Guess with that engine you'll be able to light up the rear in most gears.

Great to read that the IVA process is well under way, no doubt you will have a test date in the very near future.

Yeah it's going to take a steady right foot to start with!!

I'm expecting/hoping the test centre to get in touch this next week. I said the car would be available from the 24th.

Nickp - 19/2/17 at 07:08 AM

Leaving the car ticking over on the drive yesterday made me realise how vital some bonnet vents are. With the bonnet off it sat happily at about 80 to 85deg with the fan cutting in and out. When I put the bonnet on it crept up to 95deg and the fan was running permanently. I'm using the bigger 1.6 VW Polo rad but only time will tell if this is going to be up to the job.

CTLeeds - 19/2/17 at 09:43 AM

I'd wondered if you were going to cut a hole in the bonnet scoop? The Rush I'm building has this scoop and also has flared wings which will hopefully get rid of some of the heat when stationary.

Good to hear it's a bit of a handful!

Cheers,

Chris

Nickp - 19/2/17 at 09:57 AM

quote:
I'd wondered if you were going to cut a hole in the bonnet scoop? The Rush I'm building has this scoop and also has flared wings which will hopefully get rid of some of the heat when stationary.

Good to hear it's a bit of a handful!

Cheers,

Chris

I've cut a hole in the front of the scoop now to let air in when moving but it needs some bigger vents to the rear of the bonnet to let the hot air out.

PGD - 20/2/17 at 04:59 PM

Superb build, well done! Would be good to see it sometime, I'm pretty local in Ossett, Wakefield..

Nickp - 20/2/17 at 05:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PGD
Superb build, well done! Would be good to see it sometime, I'm pretty local in Ossett, Wakefield..

Cheers fella, I'm quite pleased for a first attempt

You're welcome to come take a look or can meet up sometime once I'm roadworthy.

gary gsx - 20/2/17 at 09:51 PM

I'll second that that's a superb looking build and I bet it's going to be stupidly quick.

Great stuff

Garf

dmrider_10 - 22/2/17 at 12:59 PM

Fantastic looking build! Very surprised at the cost being 5k, that actually has me thiinking! Was the chassis bought off here/ebay etc?

Ben_Copeland - 22/2/17 at 02:12 PM

Still struggle to get air into mine !

Description
Description

Nickp - 22/2/17 at 07:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dmrider_10
Fantastic looking build! Very surprised at the cost being 5k, that actually has me thiinking! Was the chassis bought off here/ebay etc?

Off a mate actually who realised he'd never get it done. Came with loadsa good bits too

Nickp - 22/2/17 at 07:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Still struggle to get air into mine !

Description
Description

You've got turbo heat though Ben. Hopefully mine won't be so bad, I've got the manifolds wrapped too. Deffo need to get the hot air out once it's passed the IVA

Ben_Copeland - 22/2/17 at 07:25 PM

Yeah and the turbos soon to double in physical size

Nickp - 22/2/17 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Yeah and the turbos soon to double in physical size

That'll help

Nickp - 23/2/17 at 09:21 PM

IVA test date booked Fri 10th March at Nottingham, fingers crossed

Ben_Copeland - 24/2/17 at 04:49 AM

Good luck !!!

gary gsx - 24/2/17 at 08:26 AM

Good luck mate

Gary

bonzoronnie - 24/2/17 at 08:53 AM

All the best for the big day Nick.

A Splendid looking build, a real credit to all of your hard work.

Nickp - 2/3/17 at 02:31 PM

quote:
All the best for the big day Nick.

A Splendid looking build, a real credit to all of your hard work.

Cheers fella

Just been getting insurance quotes as my current insurers said they wouldn't offer any cover until I had a reg number. I explained that I could legally drive the car to the IVA, but they wouldn't cover it. I'm not driving it there but they didn't seem to know the score at all tbh. Currently my best quote is £145 fully comp with an additional £45 for full uk/Euro breakdown, happy with that TBH

craigdiver - 14/4/17 at 09:19 PM

Nick, who did you use for the ABS/EWS delete?

Cheers

Craig

Nickp - 18/4/17 at 09:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver

Cheers

Craig

Can't remember exactly TBH, it was a long time ago. It was just off ebay. Sent him my ECU and it came back sorted, both deleted, 7krpm limiter and a remap to suit the M50 manifold

CTLeeds - 19/4/17 at 10:52 AM

quote:

Cheers

Craig

I used END Tuning in Birmingham to do mine. Really good service and quick turnaround.

http://www.endtuning.com/

Cheers,

Chris

craigdiver - 22/4/17 at 06:47 PM

Thanks guys for the info on the ECU reprogram.

Nick/Chris, what lbs of springs did you end up using front/back and are you happy with them?

Cheers

[Edited on 22/4/17 by craigdiver]

Nickp - 22/4/17 at 06:54 PM

quote:

Nick/Chris, what lbs of springs did you end up using front/back and are you happy with them?

Cheers

I'd have to check but 400fr 250rr rings a bell. Too early to say if they're spot on but initial impressions are good.

craigdiver - 23/4/17 at 04:47 PM

I'd have to check but 400fr 250rr rings a bell. Too early to say if they're spot on but initial impressions are good.

Thanks Nick,

Great info again :-)

[Edited on 23/4/17 by craigdiver]

CTLeeds - 25/4/17 at 04:38 PM

quote:

Cheers

I'm building a Dax Rush so the figures for the springs would probably be wrong for a Haynes...

scoommy - 10/4/18 at 07:24 AM

Hello, all photo on your thread are unavailable

Nickp - 10/4/18 at 09:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scoommy
Hello, all photo on your thread are unavailable

Blame photobucket for that!!

scoommy - 10/4/18 at 09:42 AM

No problem Nickp, i Know it's not your fault. Do you have a blog or other link to see your seven ?

Nickp - 10/4/18 at 12:40 PM

quote:
No problem Nickp, i Know it's not your fault. Do you have a blog or other link to see your seven ?

No but I've a load of pics if you want? Or it was in PPC magazine last month.

UncleFista - 10/4/18 at 12:51 PM

Hi Scoommy, if you use Chrome browser, the "Photobucket embed fix" extension will sort the photo problem out for you

scoommy - 10/4/18 at 08:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
Hi Scoommy, if you use Chrome browser, the "Photobucket embed fix" extension will sort the photo problem out for you

Thanks that work great !!!

@Nickp : Your build is realy brilliant ! i hope mine will be so beautiful

Nickp - 10/4/18 at 08:55 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista

Thanks that work great !!!

@Nickp : Your build is realy brilliant ! i hope mine will be so beautiful

Thanks Scoommy, are you using the M52 too?
Whereabouts in France are you?

CTLeeds - 10/4/18 at 09:00 PM

Hi Nick, did you get anywhere with your corner weighting?

Regards,

Chris

scoommy - 10/4/18 at 09:01 PM

Yes M52B28, i take it in 528i My project just start i give you some news when i advance.

Do you think it's possible to use BMW parts for drive train ?

I live in Saint-Malo

Nickp - 10/4/18 at 09:09 PM

quote:
Yes M52B28, i take it in 528i My project just start i give you some news when i advance.

Do you think it's possible to use BMW parts for drive train ?

I live in Saint-Malo

It should be possible to use more BMW parts (diff) and I believe others are doing just that. I used the Sierra stuff as that is what I had. Mine's only the BMW engine and gearbox. Best thing I did was source a 3.14 Sierra diff. Initially it had a 3.62, but that was all wrong and first gear was useless.

CTLeeds - 10/4/18 at 09:09 PM

Scoomy, I'm using the same engine from a 328i. If you need any advice just ask.

Chris

scoommy - 11/4/18 at 07:09 AM

Thank you so much Nickp & CTLeeds

scoommy - 13/4/18 at 08:50 PM

Hello ! I have 2 or 3 small questions ;-)

- Do you have heat problems with this "big" engine in your seven?

- How do you get speed information? Via the ABS sensor?

Thank you for your help.

Nico!

[Edited on 14/4/18 by scoommy]