Board logo

New car
Daimo_45 - 6/2/10 at 07:02 PM

So last October some IDIOT in a boy'd up Fiat Punto turbo decided to write-off my BMW E46 330D. I am finally looking for a new car and have a dilemma!

I've been looking for something new for around £17,500, hatchback and economical with some punch. I can't stand A3s and the only decent looking Golf is the GTI but it's too much and every other person has one in Surrey.

So I decided on a Volvo C30 R Design 2.0

For the price above it's full leather with upgraded sound system, folding mirrors, cruise control, 17 wheels. The R Design come with coilover suspension, firmer bushes, lower and strut brace/sway bars.

But before I put the deposit down I decided to have a look in Alfa and came across the Mito. The Mito was in the price bracket, looked awesome and THE INTERIOR WAS SIMPLY AMAZING IN TOP SPEC but the car looked too small like a teenagers first car or super mini. The sales bloke said Alfa have got just the thing for you in June; the Giulietta. The the Giulietta is replacing the 147 and is pretty much a bigger Mito.

WHAT DO I DO?????????

[Edited on 6/2/10 by Daimo_45]

[Edited on 6/2/10 by Daimo_45]

StevieB - 6/2/10 at 07:06 PM

Common sense says go for the Volvo, with the R Design being a nice model to have.

However, every other sense dictates that you should get the Guilietta.

andrew.carwithen - 6/2/10 at 07:15 PM

Wait for the giulietta!
But then I am an Alfa fan...

l0rd - 6/2/10 at 07:23 PM

Go for the volvo/

Think on resale value

scootz - 6/2/10 at 07:25 PM

Volvo for me...

speedyxjs - 6/2/10 at 07:26 PM

Used Jag but then i would say that

Id go for the Volvo if i were in your situation

GMPMotorsport - 6/2/10 at 07:52 PM

volvo for me, looks good, reliable and most of all resellable! IMHO.

lotusmadandy - 6/2/10 at 08:07 PM

As above ^^^^ Volvo for me.

Andy

tul214 - 6/2/10 at 08:09 PM

Golf GTi...

morcus - 6/2/10 at 08:15 PM

I'd be tempted to wait and see the Guilietta but a C30 probably makes mores sense (And I think it was a good looking car till they ruined it with the recent facelift).

I really wanted a MiTo but as you said it would be too small for you as its based on a punto. You get alot for your money though with the MiTo and I'm told they drive well.

big_wasa - 6/2/10 at 08:15 PM

I like the volvo but it looks very Ford ? or is that just me.

The alfa looks smart but the resale value

skinned knuckles - 6/2/10 at 08:22 PM

alpha, alpha, alpha.

love it to bits. love their engines and love the fact its not a golf or A3.

the volvo is good, but you are going to have a lot more fun in the alpha

Toprivetguns - 6/2/10 at 08:30 PM

Life is too short. Buy a Monaro! You can pick them up for a great price now.

JC - 6/2/10 at 08:58 PM

Want a Golf GTi, can't afford it? Skoda Octavia vRS then!!! Same car (nearly)!

mookaloid - 6/2/10 at 08:59 PM

Alfa - how can you think anything else?

Benzine - 6/2/10 at 09:04 PM

The alfa looks like someone's stroking a cat too hard and it's pulling the skin and fur around their head back

The volvo is a volvo m/

Ninehigh - 6/2/10 at 09:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
Go for the volvo/

Think on resale value

Why give two turds about resale value? Who has actually sold their car in a decent enough condition?
Maybe it's just me, I've only ever passed on one car that actually worked!

gottabedone - 6/2/10 at 09:11 PM

I'm an Alfa man so no contest really

Daimo_45 - 6/2/10 at 09:15 PM

I might have to wait and see.

The Alfa might just be out the price range as it's speculated to start at 16,000-500 and I would want want the top trim to get the exterior and interior bits to the same spec as the Volvo and one of the middle engine options, also, folding mirrors and upgraded sound system are a must for me!

With regards to resale I think the Alfa would be better as how many C30s have you seen on the roads? Not many people know they even exist before buying their Focus, Golf or Astra. The Mito is selling better than the Mini and there is a 3 month wait so surely the bigger brother will follow suit?

When I compare the Volvo to the Alfa it looks too sensible (I only turned 24 one month ago).

iscmatt - 6/2/10 at 09:17 PM

I love the c30, but my dad ended up getting an abarth 500 instead. I think the back of the Giulietta looks great but the front reminds me of a porsche caynne - not good....

LBMEFM - 6/2/10 at 10:37 PM

With out a doubt VOLVO

jlparsons - 6/2/10 at 10:45 PM

Buy another 330d, a nice big poster of the alfa and forget about the volvo. Best of all possible worlds!

hicost blade - 6/2/10 at 10:50 PM

Neither...Mito GTA would be my choice when it comes out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWegxPJO7qE

Ninehigh - 6/2/10 at 10:51 PM

Got to admit that's nice, just wish they chose a different name.. I keep thinking "my toe"

Daimo_45 - 6/2/10 at 11:03 PM

No doubt the Mito is the same dimensions as the Volvo but it really does look like a super mini not far off 500 size.

Angel Acevedo - 6/2/10 at 11:34 PM

Actually I think it resembles the E87.
In Mexico is called 120i.

rayward - 7/2/10 at 12:26 AM

Alfa , Alfa , Alfa

go on you know you want too............

gazza285 - 7/2/10 at 12:59 AM

I've had a Giulietta, it was awful. It was an '80s one mind.

Alfa's are bought buy enthusiasts swayed by looks and sound, Volvo's are bought by Volvo owners who appreciate things like comfort, reliability, build quality and low depreciation. If it looks good as well, then that's a bonus, but not the reason for buying a car.

Why anybody would contemplate spending £17500 on a new car I've no idea, and in 10 years I'd buy a 10 year old Volvo C30 R Design 2.0 and 95% of the Alfas will be scrap.

Simon - 7/2/10 at 01:28 AM

Going by the local Volvo drivers recently, I'd steer well clear as most of them appear to be ex bmw/golf type tossers who seem to think that by driving a foot off my bumper is going to make me do more than 32 in a 30. Still, I may start videoing them next week, bound to get a couple

I think to avoid be classed as such, you should either buy £17 grands worth of Jag, or a nice Renault. Failing that, the best SD1 Vitesse you can get your hands on.

ATB

Simon

morcus - 7/2/10 at 08:14 AM

I must say I've noticed volvos seem to be getting into the hands of people who drive that way. Best way to deal with people who drive like that is to move out as wide as you dare and slow down to about 25 (Assuming a 30 limit), though I sometimes really feel like coming to a complete stop, I did this once when I had some one in a van driving right behind me and who was obvioulsy speeding before hand because I had been and he caught up with me very quickly, so when the road got to a bit with a divider between the two sides I stopped, I was late for work but it was worth it.

oldtimer - 7/2/10 at 08:37 AM

Mito may be a nice set of wheels but have they got the front end style right? Looks a bit Subaru headlamp faux pas to me....

Wells - 8/2/10 at 08:02 PM

I would buy a Mini Cooper S. It might actually be worth something when you come to sell it.