Board logo

DVLA - Change of engine and colour
carpmart - 24/10/10 at 06:50 PM

Chaps

I can't find anything official to guide me on what I need to do to register a change of engine (CEC to BEC) and a change of colour. Can anyone link me to a .gov page which explains this?

I also need to get the car MOTed as well. Can I do that before I register the engine change and colour change? If so, what does the MOT man do?

Thanks!

meany - 24/10/10 at 07:08 PM

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/DG_4022054

JeffHs - 24/10/10 at 07:10 PM

As far as I know you just change the details on your V5 and send it off to DVLA.
so engine number and capacity changes as does colour. That's all there is to it.
I don't know if engine size affects taxation class though, that may be a complication I'm not aware of.

001Ben - 24/10/10 at 07:20 PM

There will be a tax change so you will need a letter from a garage to confirm that the engine you are changing to is correct, pics of the install and proof of the year of manufacture , i used the haynes manual for this.

speedystew - 24/10/10 at 07:30 PM

just swapped the other way B,E,C to C,E,C and a colour change (fireblade to duratec) i had to get the car mot'd as it run out fill in the v5 and take a report from a vat registered garage/company. i used cat motorsport to say the work had taken place and the exact cc's of the engine. i also had to take a copy of the receipt for the engine to the local vro office along with the dosh to tax it. i got the tax disc straight away and the log book back a few weeks later

dhutch - 25/10/10 at 12:07 PM

Yeah, not done it, but from ive heard they can be a little arsy about the fact that you will have dropped CC's and hence tax band. But other than that, job done.