Board logo

elm 327 bluetooth on an iphone
jonesier1 - 24/1/11 at 10:00 PM

is anyone using an elm327 bluetooth dongle with an i phone,if so what app are you using and how did you pair it ?.
mine does'nt seem to find the devise ?.Any advise/help would be great .thanks

hobbsy - 24/1/11 at 11:17 PM

When I last looked there weren't any iphone apps that use this interface.

There are several for Symbian (Nokia) and Android for either free or minimal cost.

The iphone ones I've seen want a wi-fi version of the ELM interface which is over £100 whereas the bluetooth version are about £20.

Welcome to the world of Steve "everything is overpriced but only marginally better" Jobs

woolly - 25/1/11 at 12:06 AM

my Galaxy android works well with the bluetooth obd using a app called torque.

sorted the merc out last week. found the fault code sent me to a web page about the code, i cleaned the valve out then erased the fault, magic.

unfortunately it won't work on a 52 Laguna and my 06 vivaro as they are not true obd11

locogeoff - 25/1/11 at 12:21 AM

I believe the problem to be that the iPhone doesn't support the bluetooth serial protocol.

MikeRJ - 25/1/11 at 09:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by locogeoff
I believe the problem to be that the iPhone doesn't support the bluetooth serial protocol.

Yep, Apple are masters at providing half the functionality for twice the price (the original iPhone couldn't even receive MMS messages without a third party app!). There are third party bluetooth stacks available to to fix this, but they aren't free.

jonesier1 - 25/1/11 at 10:02 AM

yep seems to be my iphone,my mate 99p tesco nokia find it on bluetooth.So any hint of what im looking for regards 3rd party stacks to overcome this...web site or programme name etc

Marcus - 26/1/11 at 08:42 PM

As above, the iphone doesn't support the full bluetooth protocol. If you're not worried about warranties, jailbreak the phone using RedSnow or similar, download an app from Cydia and hay presto full bluetooth functionality.
I'm currently using a new ipod touch with my bluetooth GPS dongle. Brilliant bit of kit

jonesier1 - 27/1/11 at 09:31 PM

thanks will give it a try

greggors84 - 27/1/11 at 09:40 PM

Marcus, do you remember what the app from Cydia was called? Ive got an old iphone and a bluetooth dongle, would be good to use it as a sat nav.

MikeRJ - 28/1/11 at 09:46 AM

iBluetooth is what you want.

Marcus - 30/1/11 at 06:29 PM

iBluetooth is good, I'm currently using BTstack GPS 1.5 as I only need the GPS functionality.

blakep82 - 21/2/11 at 02:07 PM

i was in looking for a new phone, went in with all intentions of getting an iphone 4, was told that you can't bluetooth files, and the bluetooth is only for headsets, but you can get an app to blurtooth photos from one iphone to another, but not to anything else, i walked out with an HTC

teko - 17/4/12 at 10:07 AM

Bluetooth version will not work with iPhone but,
Elm327 has wifi version for the iPhone, I got mine from here:
http://www.proaleo.com/electronics/mobile-phone-accessories/obd-2-car-diagnostic-code-reader-scanner-with-wifi-for-iphone-ipad.html
and using it with Dashcommand
Hope it helps,
Cheers