Board logo

underseal and paint removal on a mini
corrado vr6 - 18/2/11 at 08:01 PM

Hi there, ive got a mini project on the go and im trying to take the underside panels back to bare metal, ive tried paint thinners and a wire brush attachment in a drill which work but is really slow at removing the last layre of paint. Has anyone got any ideas to speed the process up? would parrafin work? Thanks in advance Greg

Andybarbet - 18/2/11 at 08:06 PM

I used nitromors and it dissolved it quite well, paint scraper took it off then.

Mind your arms tho cos stings

austin man - 18/2/11 at 08:11 PM

hot air gun if the tanks removed and a paint scrapper

Benzine - 18/2/11 at 08:28 PM

These things are awesome for paint removal, not sure what they're called though

Mark G - 18/2/11 at 09:00 PM

Heat!

Shogun969 - 18/2/11 at 09:32 PM

Blow lamp and scraper then wire brush, i have done 3 minis back to bare metal on the underside

Badger_McLetcher - 19/2/11 at 12:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine

Yeah +1 for these things. Also can't remember what they're called though I'm afraid :S

MikeR - 19/2/11 at 01:06 AM

Screwfix seem to call them preparation wheels,
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83915/Abrasives/Other-Cutting-Grinding/Surface-Preparation/Preparation-Wheel-115mm

I've used the 'drill' based version and will say that whilst they're good in a drill, they do disintegrate quickly when they find edges - they like panels, not corners

(also, if you use them on wood be careful as they did a grove quite easily and mark glass quite nicely!)

rusty nuts - 19/2/11 at 09:11 AM

Get the bulk off with a sharp wood chisel, a bit of heat can help but hot underseal is PAINFUL!

Peteff - 19/2/11 at 09:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine

Polycarbide wheels, good for stripping the rough stuff without damaging the metal underneath.

ChrisW - 19/2/11 at 11:34 AM

This might make interesting reading for you: http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=149827

It's a long and horrible job, but you'll get there in the end. I found a wire brush 'cup' for a grinder was good for the big areas and a blow lamp and scraper for the bits that the grinder can't get into. My arms were aching for days but I hope the finished product will be worth the effort.

Chris