Board logo

Vacuum Oil extractors.
bigandy - 4/5/11 at 10:08 AM

Morning all,

Has anyone ever used one of them vacuum extraction devices for draining an engines oil, from the top of the engine? They have a hose that is inserted down the dipstick tube I think, and thena pump to suck out the old engine oil.

I'm wondering about getting one, as changing the oil on my van is a right pain, due to having to remove a dirty great big shield that covers the underside of the engine bay....

Anyone got any recommendations for a good one?

Cheers
Andy

mookaloid - 4/5/11 at 10:11 AM

I have seen one in use and it's good - on my birthday list!

contaminated - 4/5/11 at 10:27 AM

I've used one several times. Very useful pieces of kit. Also used it to drain brake resevoirs and bleed brakes!

Bluemoon - 4/5/11 at 10:39 AM

Not convinced they are a good idea, the bottom of the sump is not drained and that's where any sludge accumulates, if every oil change is done by sucking up the oil will sludge build up in the sump??

Dan

[Edited on 4/5/11 by Bluemoon]

britishtrident - 4/5/11 at 10:55 AM

I use mine a lot, last year I used it when changing the sump on a Rover 45 it drained sump completely nothing left at all --- helps if you jack the car a littlle to angle the sump so the dipstick tube is at the lowest corner.

Tip buy from an online yacht chandler much cheaper, also don't buy Sealey as they just rebranded and add a premium on the price, most Chandlers sell Seago or Pela or Silverline brands ---- Silverline is cheap a cheerful OK for occaisional use but the other brands are better quality.

You can also get electric pumps see Item number: 160570991610

coyoteboy - 4/5/11 at 10:57 AM

Used it in a boat, only way to drain a BMW straight 6 when it's bolted into the back of a small hull. Seems to do the trick quite happily. Tiny residue isn't really an issue, it gets diluted each time a change is done.

sickbag - 4/5/11 at 11:24 AM

I made my own a few years back using a washer pump and associated tubing - it took some time but worked OK. Had to go this route due to the head on the sump plug being completely chewed off and nothing was going to shift it!

MikeRJ - 4/5/11 at 11:48 AM

I use one on my cars, it drains pretty much every drop out - removing the sump plug doesn't allow me to drain anything more from the engine. However, you do need to get the oil nice and hot or it takes forever, and even then it's a pretty slow operation.

a4gom - 4/5/11 at 12:48 PM

I have a pela one, I love it. Call at the motor factors on my way home pick up oil and filters, as soon as I get home I lift the lid stick it in and pump up the vacuum, by the time I've changed the fuel filter it's sucked all the oil out. Swap oil filter and fill it up. Sub 10mins and clean.
You can even transport the oil to the tip in the unit.

RazMan - 4/5/11 at 03:39 PM

I've got a Silverline one - bought it to change a Smart Car' oil (no drain plug)
They seem to do the trick but I have no use for mine now - if someone wants to collect it

Charlie_Zetec - 4/5/11 at 04:13 PM

Raz, I'll take it off your hands, if you don't mind!

tony-devon - 4/5/11 at 04:18 PM

also a PELA owner, had a smart car once LOL

yeah they work well, most marine places sell them, I got mine from ebay

RazMan - 5/5/11 at 07:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
Raz, I'll take it off your hands, if you don't mind!

U2U sent

jacko - 6/5/11 at 07:19 PM

Would a SU fuel pump work as a pump to remove sump oil ? i have 2 but don't want to break them if i can help it
Jacko