Board logo

Anyone work for vauxhall
liam.mccaffrey - 21/7/11 at 06:42 PM

I have a 6 month old company car and booked it into a main stealer to have the cruise stalk fitting and a recoding to enable it.

Long story short, they have put the stalk in and need some kind of code that I should apparantly have. I don't have this code and couldn't hang around to discuss it with them. Apparently I can get it from the dealer that sold the car originally, but anyone know what its called so i don't sound like a lemon when I asking.

Ninehigh - 21/7/11 at 06:58 PM

Personally I'd play a mixture of "dumb" and "these pratts are asking for this code, can you tell them they're talking s**te?"

A code to tell the car it has a switch? Really? Not that I know anything but it sounds to me like they're already taking bets on how many fivers they can get out of you (no offence)

liam.mccaffrey - 21/7/11 at 07:10 PM

Ive taken about as much offence as the amount of money they'll get paid if i don't have fully working cruise control. ie none

Apprantly new VX's have a software lock code which prevents certain OBDii modifications.

Sound like BS????

[Edited on 21/7/11 by liam.mccaffrey]

[Edited on 21/7/11 by liam.mccaffrey]

Ninehigh - 21/7/11 at 07:15 PM

Huh, sounds plausible, although odd... What modifications are you going to do with cruise control? Scooby sensors

McLannahan - 21/7/11 at 07:16 PM

It's called vauxhall security pass. It's normally a credit card sized piece of card and it should be in your vehicle docs wallet.

Vauxhall often need it when coding new details onto the car. Many smooth talk their way through getting a new one but the charge for it is about £30?

Richard Quinn - 21/7/11 at 07:16 PM

I would've thought that any main dealer could get any required codes. My lad's just had a new key and reprogram done by the local Vx dealer and the car's ten years old. They charged him £20 for the security codes that they needed to order direct from Vx as the security key card info is longer in the car.
They probably need a security code for the ecu to enable them to program it to tell it that it now has cruise control.

McLannahan - 21/7/11 at 07:33 PM

Liam - nipped out and took a photo of mine.

It's on an A5 sheet of card and contains two cards - An Opel version (with no details but obviously if I had an Opel....) and a Vauxhall version. Both credit card sized.

It is needed - as you can see there's quite a few details on it and they're needed to code in new accessories. Some dealers will be charged by VX themselves for it, so it's rare to blag a free one. If you have lost it it's not a problem but does take a few days to raise.

DRC INDY 7 - 21/7/11 at 07:59 PM

The car security pass can be bought from the parts department it takes 48 hours and costs £25

liam.mccaffrey - 21/7/11 at 08:05 PM

thanks guys, the guy in the showroom showed me one Mike,

I'll see what i can find out tomorrow and let you know

ashg - 22/7/11 at 09:20 AM

should be in the folder with the service history book. i know it doesn't help you but mine is.

liam.mccaffrey - 22/7/11 at 10:40 AM

sorted with a bit of detective work, thank you to the lovely serena.