Board logo

Ground Anchor Recommendation for Block Paving
James - 7/9/11 at 08:40 AM

As I type we're having, at long last, our drive block paved. Had considered doing it myself and did a lot of research but decided I'd still be working on in on 2021 so got the professionals in.

One thing we're looking forward to is getting my girlfriends motorbike off the back lawn and onto the new drive... but what to do about securing it.

Want to fit a ground anchor or some sort. The driveway guys are more than happy to do it for us.

Guessing it will involve a large block of concrete or something under the new blocks- no point just bolting the anchor to a single brick!

So, any recommendations on a good ground anchor- secure but not too visible/eyesore. And suggestions on how best to fit it to block paving? The pavers are 50mm thick, so the buried bit needs to be long enough to cope with the top 50+mm of it not being in anything secure. Only below the 50mm will be solid.

Thanks!

James

[Edited on 7/9/11 by James]

[Edited on 7/9/11 by James]

big-vee-twin - 7/9/11 at 08:46 AM

Just concrete it in link

scudderfish - 7/9/11 at 08:57 AM

Chain it to a Pinto?

stevebubs - 7/9/11 at 09:21 AM

Y anchor ?

mcerd1 - 7/9/11 at 09:23 AM

a guy I used to work with got some super high grade chain (I think he said its the stuff fishing trawlers use in some of there nets...) the sort that angry grinders have a hard time cutting

but he couldn't get a padlock to match that - so drilled a couple of holes through the wall of his house so the padlock ended up inside his hallway cupboard

[Edited on 7/9/2011 by mcerd1]

stevegough - 7/9/11 at 09:25 AM

Beware with block paving - prepare the ground underneath first, and ensure the dreaded weeds can't penetrate. I spent a full 3 days a couple of weeks ago powerwashing ours ( we've got about 70 sq metres of it ). I'm almost ready to take it all up.

I know you said you're getting it 'professionally done' - Hah! - think they'll do it properly? cobblers (pun intended).

MikeRJ - 7/9/11 at 09:26 AM

I'd say this is an ideal opportunity to install a folding or telescopic ground anchor and have the driveway people cut the blocks around it so it lies completely flush when not in use. This way you have a completely flat surface, no trip hazard.

http://www.discountlocks.co.uk/Ground-Anchors-s/293.htm

Daddylonglegs - 7/9/11 at 10:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Y anchor ?

Y not?

I agree, though, concrete it in.

jossey - 7/9/11 at 11:39 AM

in my garden for my caravan we welded up a long metal pole into the ground with stalks coming out 6"-10" and about 10 of them under the gound to ensure it cant be pulled out.

The hole was about 2 foot wide.....

then put the pole in the ground sticking out about 1 foot.

then poor 5 bags of postcrete into the hole and add water. then its done.

Just drill the pole and your sorted to bolt it to your car or caravan and your away.

we then paved over the top of it and drilled a hole for the pole to fit through.....

good luck.

stevebubs - 7/9/11 at 12:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Y anchor ?

Y not?

I agree, though, concrete it in.

?? http://www.yanchor.com/

907 - 7/9/11 at 01:54 PM

I have 3 of these; one in the drive, one in the garage, and one in the lawn.

Easy to make. Two half circles of plate with a strip to join them.
A thick round bar between, and weld bits of round bar on the bottom
till it looks like a porcupine.

Cheers,
Paul G
Description
Description

nick205 - 7/9/11 at 03:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 907

Cheers,
Paul G
Description
Description

I like that!

You could make it exactly the size of a pavoir , but projecting 50mm above the sub base concrete lump. That way you'd have a flush fitting anchor point and a very neat finish to the blocks rather than having to cut round a pole. Make from stainless so it doesn't rust though as the rust will discolour the surrounding blocks.

907 - 7/9/11 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Cheers,
Paul G
Description
Description

I like that!

You could make it exactly the size of a pavoir , but projecting 50mm above the sub base concrete lump. That way you'd have a flush fitting anchor point and a very neat finish to the blocks rather than having to cut round a pole. Make from stainless so it doesn't rust though as the rust will discolour the surrounding blocks.

That one is stainless. I suppose I should have polished the weld discoloration off. (Me bad )

One thing I do advise is a little hole in the bottom for a drain. Mine fills up with water.

Cheers,
Paul G

tompat3463 - 7/9/11 at 05:08 PM

why not get them to lay a concrete pad like 60m below finished ground level then complete the drive (remembering where the pad is. Then U could simply drill a 12mm hole thry ur block thru the sharp sand and into ur conc pad and use a chemical achor epoxy resin to set an eye in or what ever ur anchor choice is !!

locoboy - 7/9/11 at 05:49 PM

Have a look at www.bulldogsecure.com

Let me know if there is anything useful and i will get a price for you - i get it at their best trade price.

Guinness - 7/9/11 at 06:42 PM

Another vote for the Y anchor.