Board logo

Monaco GP
Wheels244 - 28/5/12 at 08:22 PM

Right - it must be safe to post this now as everyone must know the result.

What's peoples thought on having an F1 GP at Monaco ?
I know the drivers like it and most of them live there.
I know it's probably a money thing that it's run there.

But

I don't rate it as a circuit at all.
If you're on pole you have to do something wrong to lose.
Almost impossible to overtake leading to processional racing - as with the latter laps of
this race - MW slower than the cars behind him, but no one could get past him.
Some will no doubt like the nostalgia of racing there, but I personally
don't think it has a place in modern F1.

'steps down from soapbox'

loggyboy - 28/5/12 at 08:30 PM

Never bothered me that its not the most exciting race. It is more of a show than a race. It will never be taken off the calendar, and IMO never should.
I was disapointed that not one of the drivers queing behind webber didnt have a crack, but i think thats down to the nature of the season, everyone knows that the odd points finish will be the key to the season.

phoenix70 - 28/5/12 at 08:30 PM

Personally, I don't think it has any place on the F1 Calendar at all. for all the reason you stated, it is purely the money that keeps F1 there, as has been stated before, if someone was to put the monaco circuit somewhere less wealthy, there is no way it would be allowed.

It dangerous and with no possibility of overtaking, it is certainly not on the calendar to please the TV audience

There are so many good tracks that have been denied a place on the F1 calendar, and yet Monaco survives.

Cheers

Scott

StevieB - 28/5/12 at 08:37 PM

It is very much all about the glitz and glam than the racing, which never really makes for an exciting race other than the crashes - as said, all you need to do is get away from pole. No point in even going flat out to gain a decent lead as with other circuits, as you can almost guarantee a safety car within the first 3 laps.

However, it's the sort of race that is needed to keep the big sponsers and backers happy and full of champagne and glamour, which some of the lesser teams need in order to keep the funds flowing and the cars racing. From that perspective, I'm happy to tolerate it as a token race in the season.

perksy - 28/5/12 at 08:43 PM

Can't ever see the day Bernie wouldn't want to race there tbh
The sponsors love it and its full of History and Rich folk

scootz - 28/5/12 at 09:03 PM

I know it's not all that exciting in a competitive sense, but it's the only circuit where mere mortals like myself can get a realistic impression of an F1 cars actual abilities.

I must have seen over 30 Monaco GP's by now and my jaw still drops a little when I watch onboard camera footage as they pass buildings and street furniture.

For that reason, I vote that it stays on the calendar!

designer - 28/5/12 at 09:35 PM

If the Monoca GP was not one of the 'established' Grand Prix, they would not allow it this day and age.

Chippy - 28/5/12 at 10:08 PM

Well I watched the complete race, but could just as well have put it on fast foreword after the start and slowed it for the finish, compared to the other races this season it was totaly boring. The only changes in track position were from pit stops, which was not achieved by overpayed drivers, but the erks in the paddock. I would scrap it, but then I am sure the little hitler get loads of wonga by it being there. Just IMHO. Ray

owelly - 28/5/12 at 11:13 PM

Didn't take long...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

craig1410 - 29/5/12 at 12:22 AM

F1 simply wouldn't be F1 without it. I see it as a celebration of the sport itself. There is nowhere that you can get closer to the cars, drivers and celebrities.

Martin Brundle commented about it being the only place you can get so close to the cars that the air pressure from them passing actually knocks you back. Also, when you see that shot showing the change of direction through one of the chicanes, it is mind blowing!

I don't mean to be inflammatory but in my opinion, no true F1 fan could possibly suggest dropping the Monaco GP. Same with the Belgian GP, Silverstone and Monza.

It is also possible to use strategy and tactics (and amazing driving skills...) to win a race as Alonso almost proved. If Ferrari had kept him out for another 2 or 3 laps then he would have come out in front of Webber and Rosberg due to soft tyre warm up issues.

C.

morcus - 29/5/12 at 01:05 AM

Monaco is a highlight of my F1 year. I agree that there is little in the way of overtaking (Which is true of a lot of F1 anyway) but what you do get is spectacular and with probably the highest attrition rate in an average year, I don't see how it could be called boring.

For me, Street circuits are the best kind of tracks, it makes it more real and more exciting to see them wizzing past buildings.

I think it's unfair to say it would be dropped if it wasn't for it's long history because the 'tradition' arguement is the only way you can get away with having a circuit like that. There are other street circuits but none as tight and dangerous as monaco.

I was slightly dissapointed seeing slower cars holding up faster cars because they could effectively block the whole track, but you get that alot these days in F1 anyway.

How would you nay sayers improve the Monaco GP (Cancelling it isn't an option.)

blakep82 - 29/5/12 at 01:19 AM

i was thinking the same thing during the build up to qualifying, i predicted the winner the day beofre the race even started. its always the pole mans unless there's a crash, thought it was worth a watch anyway, but thinking its a bit out-dated for modern F1

then the race started! yes its mostly a precession, but seeing them all racing that fast, inches away from the barriers especially at the nouvelle chicane, well, how much more exciting can it be?! there's a lot of tracks with big long straights, DRS, long overtake, yawn its quite good really! but in a different way

RK - 29/5/12 at 03:03 AM

Yes it's much more exciting to watch races in places like Bahrain, with no fans whatsoever. It's a troll thread.

Rosco - 29/5/12 at 06:49 AM

I can see why it's there and I'm sure there have been interesting races there in the past, but this years was very very borning to the point where I switched it off - and I don't do that very often.

Slimy38 - 29/5/12 at 07:35 AM

I don't get to watch the F1 very often (I'm about fifth in line for the TV remote, behind the cat), but this time I managed to watch a race from start to finish. Yes it was a procession, but as mentioned some of the camera angles demonstrate how much skill is required to get the cars round the track in one piece, let alone in first place.

They did a blow-by-blow account of one car on one corner, they showed that the width of a paint marking was the difference between the driver getting round the corner and him being buried in the corner. (Although to me it seemed like the left wheel wasn't connected to the steering wheel anymore which caused the crash, but I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination)

Irony - 29/5/12 at 09:16 AM

I have to agree with the original poster that I thought the actual race was boring. I watched it on iPlayer and I fast forwarded several times and nothing was missed. It was more of a speedy convoy than a race.

Monaco will never be taken of the circuit because of the huge piles of cash it must bring to the sport and to Monaco itself. Imagine if the situation came about where Monaco was under question. The Prince of Monaco would probably drop by Bernie's house with a armoured car full of gold bars and say 'will this change your mind?'. Job done.

However no one can doubt the skill of the drivers this year - fantastic.

[Edited on 29/5/12 by Irony]

roadrunner - 29/5/12 at 09:22 AM

Ask any fan of F1, which is the race weekend they would most want to go and watch .
Monaco would be there answer.
Brad.

Irony - 29/5/12 at 09:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Ask any fan of F1, which is the race weekend they would most want to go and watch .
Monaco would be there answer.
Brad.

If I won a competition to go to a 'all expenses paid trip' I would certainly pick Monaco. But not to watch quality racing.

Twin40 - 29/5/12 at 11:55 AM

hey guys, thought i'd join in here, I've just got back from this years monaco gp (a 30th birthday present from the missus!) and from my experience - monaco gp is absolultey amazing!

However i'll admit the race is difficult/overtaking challenging, with such narrow roads but the atmosphere and drama of 24 F1 engines screaming through the streets is something i'll never forget

I can't imagine the F1 championship without it!

C.

BenB - 29/5/12 at 12:08 PM

I'd like to go and see F1 at Monaco because in my experience as a spectator you get the atmosphere and the noise but (unless you're lucky) over-taking will probably occur elsewhere (leaving you wondering "how T F did he get in front of him" and it gets a little confusing trying to get to grips with who is where. It's bloody boring watching on tv though!

britishtrident - 29/5/12 at 12:56 PM

Barcalona is the the one that should go, Monaco is unique and part of F1 history.

TheGiantTribble - 29/5/12 at 01:28 PM

Sorry but....

I love Monaco Grand Prix
because
It shouldn't exist in the modern world

Cars that go that fast in that small a space inches away from each other excellant.
Every GP race should be at a different type of circuit, if we get rid of the Monaco's, Silverstone's. Spa (no I ain't going to try and spell the rest of it), Monza, we would just be left with Herman Tilke designed circuits that look the bl@@dy same and also have been known to be a pressecion.

loggyboy - 29/5/12 at 01:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Barcalona is the the one that should go, Monaco is unique and part of F1 history.

No Valencia should go. I think that was Bernies attempt to replace Monaco, but it so obvisouly failed.
They should do a rolling european grandprix and go back to classic tracks like magny cours, imola, donnington, and maybe a new one like mugello.
Ive also just read that Paul Ricard is on the callender for next year, which will alternate with Spa francorchamps.