Board logo

Bonding Rubber to Exhaust Silencer!
scootz - 11/6/12 at 02:23 PM

Is it possible to bond a strip of rubber along the length of an exhaust box, or would the heat destroy the bond / rubber?

I only ask as I recently fitted a tow-bar (OE Land-Rover one!) to my Freelander and the back box hits it when the engine is running at low revs. The chattering on start-up and reverse is doing my nut in!

Cheers!

Mr Whippy - 11/6/12 at 02:34 PM

bad idea, it would melt or catch fire, the box can get very very hot in traffic jams etc, even burn off the galvi coating so rubber stands zero chance

try loosing the exhaust joints and then twisting the pipes around, most joints have loads of slop. Or go and get longer rubber straps, there are several lengths available (what I did with the bluebirds exhaust after I had the same issue), Halfords had a range

[Edited on 11/6/12 by Mr Whippy]

Ben_Copeland - 11/6/12 at 02:35 PM

Why don't you put rubber on tow bar where it's touching ? That why it's not always on contact with exhaust!

Daddylonglegs - 11/6/12 at 02:53 PM

I'm with Ben on this one

Slimy38 - 11/6/12 at 03:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Why don't you put rubber on tow bar where it's touching ? That why it's not always on contact with exhaust!

That's what I did with my old Cavalier, I put the rubber against the bit of chassis that it was banging against. It still melted a little bit but it did work ok until I sold it to some unsuspecting victim....

scootz - 11/6/12 at 03:51 PM

Cheers guys... will see if I can shape some rubbery-stuff around the bit on the tow-bar that's catching.

The Shootist - 11/6/12 at 04:06 PM

Silicone will handle the heat that far back from the engine.